It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

s0Bl0at3d HB User
Constipation

Hello everyone! I have been struggling with constipation for years. I have a question. If any of you use METAMUCIL, are the capsules as effective as the powdered form? Thank you!
P.S. I have tried everything. What works 1 day doesn't work the next. If there are no thoughts re:METAMUCIL does anyone have any products you use with good results?

Last edited by s0Bl0at3d; 02-13-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added on hoping for replies.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0Bl0at3d View Post
Hello everyone! I have been struggling with constipation for years. I have a question. If any of you use METAMUCIL, are the capsules as effective as the powdered form? Thank you!
P.S. I have tried everything. What works 1 day doesn't work the next. If there are no thoughts re:METAMUCIL does anyone have any products you use with good results?
They should work the same as they're made of the same ingredients. Make sure you drink at least 8 oz. glass of water after each dose of Metamucil. It can take Metamucil up to 3 days to work. If you're desperate for relief right now then I suggest you try a glycerin suppository. This will help you to soften the stool just inside your rectum and lower sigmoid colon. It will make it a little easier to go. I found that it hurts a lot less to pass the hard stool if I take 10 slow deep breaths and hold it to the count of 15 and then slowly exhale through pursed lips. It helps to relax the rectum and anal spnincter muscles.
I have lived with chronic constipation all of my life up until almost the last 2 years ago. I have found that my constipation was due to my lack of fiber in my diet and lack of drinking enough water, poor bowel habits. When I started eating a high fiber diet 25-30 grams a day, drink at least 64 oz. a day of water, and making sure I take time every morning to move my bowels before I leave for work or church.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
s0Bl0at3d (02-22-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
(female)

s0Bl0at3d HB User

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you! I am guilty of not drinking enough water plus I take many medications. I was just recently (since posting) hospitalized for Kidney Stones! Ouch! I had 3 & 1 was larger then a quarter so I had to have them surgically removed & now have a temporary stent. I was told the stones "could" have attributed to my constipation plus add in the pain killers I take & I am so clogged up & uncomfortable. It's amazing how much my weight can vary from day to day due to it. Now I need to heal from the surgery & am definitely going to take your advice to increase my water intake. And I think I'll stick with the powder form of METAMUCIL & pray for results. I hope you are feeling well & thank you so much for replying to me!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I really dont like water and perhaps drink only one glass per day except for what is in my tea. So therefore I also get bouts of constipation.
What works for me is eating Prunes and Figs and fruit daily. "Ortis Fruits & Fibres" are a Natural product you can buy from your Health-Shop and the ingredients include Figs/Dates and Rhubarb. They are a chewable cube and easy to take.
Hope this helps,

Solofelix.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
(female)

s0Bl0at3d HB User

Thank you for the advice! I will try both increasing my water intake AND eating prunes (eww!) & figs (yum!)! It is so nice to get info from others who know what you're going through. I must admit I am still learning how to navigate these message boards & I am sure there is someone I haven't thanked. At any rate I will keep on trying & am very grateful for every response I receive!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0Bl0at3d View Post
Thank you for the advice! I will try both increasing my water intake AND eating prunes (eww!) & figs (yum!)! It is so nice to get info from others who know what you're going through. I must admit I am still learning how to navigate these message boards & I am sure there is someone I haven't thanked. At any rate I will keep on trying & am very grateful for every response I receive!

"Good Luck and I hope it works for you"...

PS.. You can buy Prune Juice from your Health-Shop or Supermarket,
It's really quite pleasant to drink,

Solofelix.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
"Good Luck and I hope it works for you"...

PS.. You can buy Prune Juice from your Health-Shop or Supermarket,
It's really quite pleasant to drink,

Solofelix.
Sometimes warming the prune juice in the microwave helps it to work a little faster than drinking it cold and drinking at bedtime and at breakfast will help to keep you]moving your bowels on a regular basis.

Reply Reply