It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
(female)

StennyGuts HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy and Anal Fissure surgery

Hello there. I'm a 22 year old female whom developed hemorrhoids a month or so before I gave birth to my first child, due to all of the pressure. I gave birth to my son on June 12, 2012, and I didn't schedule an appointment to get them looked at until February 5, 2013. The doctor told me that I had an anal fissure, and it would take about 2 days to recover from this surgery. He explained the procedure to me, and I decided it would be fine, because I do have an 8 month year old at home to take care of while my husband attends LVN school.
I was really nervous for the surgery, because it would be my first. My mother had received a hemorrhoidectomy after her 3rd child when I was very small. She was letting me know a little of the pain I would experience, and assured me that everything was going to be fine, as she would watch my son until I recovered from the anal fissure surgery.
However, on the day of surgery, scheduled on February 11, 2013, I was in the process of waking from the anesthesia when I noticed tremendous pain coming from my anal area. I could vaguely hear the doctor letting my mother and husband know that my hemorrhoids were a lot worse than they thought so they did a hemorrhoidectomy on top of the anal fissure surgery, and that my recovery time would last from 2-3 weeks. I was also one of those people who got the wicked chills after attempting to wake from the anesthesia, and my teeth were chattering uncontrollably (which scared both my mother and my husband). I was also told by my mother and husband that I wasn't breathing very well. The only thing I really remember is the pain, and it made me cry.
I was prescribed Hydrocodone and Acetaminophin as a pain pill, and was instructed to take Miralax daily.
My first bowel movement came a day after the surgery. The first bowel movement wasn't near as painful as I would have imagined, as I browsed the Internet all over reading people's stories about the surgery. I had some pressure pain after wards from my anus, but all in all, it wasn't a terrible bowel movement. However, the following day I also had the urge to have a bowel movement, and that was the absolute worst. I had ended up reaching up into my anus to feel that my bowel was the hardest stool I believe I have ever tried to pass before. I tried to see if I could pull it out myself, because I no longer felt it safe to continue trying to pass the bowel. I tried soaking in the tub, Vaseline.. and then I gave up. I tried to pass the bowel 2 times before I decided it was time for me to try a glycerin suppository. Of course, I contacted my doctor's nurse for questioning before trying the suppository. She told me to try adding Metamucil to my diet, as the suppository may be painful. I was already in a heap of pain and had a fever near 100.2 all day, so I went with the suppository. I took the Ducolax suppositories which says to allow 15-20 minutes before trying to have a bowel movement. I lay on my stomach on my heating pad after inserting the suppository. Now, I'm not going to say the bowel movement wasn't painful, but I was able to pass about 4 or 5 really hard stools, and that was my goal. There was pain, but I took a pain pill after wards and got right back on my heating pad, and attempted to go to sleep. I'm not drinking many fluids, as my husband is in nursing school and leaves around 6 in the morning and gets home around 3, so I'm by myself. It's not easy to want to get something to drink when you hurt so bad, and also have a painful time while trying to pee as well from pressure of the surgery. My first day of the surgery, it must have literally taken me 10 minutes to pee. I had to turn on the water faucet, and my eyes filled with water as my pee slowly came out here and there, until I felt a little relief. It's now my 4th day after surgery and it's still hard to pee, but you have to go :\ I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible, I just have an extreme lack of hunger. I'm a vegetarian, so it's easy for me to make better food choices for the surgery done. I just need the motivation to drink more water. It's so cumbersome to go pee with all the pain. Trying to relax your anus to pee is nothing good, because you don't want to end up having another bowel movement when you really have to pee first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply