It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #46
(female)

agrajag HB User
Re: Peristeen Rectal Irrigation

As with biofeedback we've not even mentioned diet on this thread, but again I just assume people with these problems who are at the stage of looking on forums and considering surgery have already done all they can with diet and fluid etc, I know that was the first thing I experimented with many years back! But to anyone who's not doing this, 2-3 litres of water per day can really helped and of course it is worth trying every dietary modification there is!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #47
(female)

carly33 HB User
Angry Re: Peristeen Rectal Irrigation

I currently spend about 2-3 hours a night doing my suppositories as Agrajag said it takes ages because a tiny bit comes out at a time, I have to do 12-14 suppositories a night. If the peristeen works then 35 mins instead of hours spent on the toilet would be better but still waiting on my appointment with the continence nurse. I do think if the sacral nerve stimulation fails to give me any relief and the peristeen fails I will ask for surgery, as so distressing and painful and my life has been ruled by my bowels for far too long. I was first diagnosed with IBS but of course they took about 2 years to find my bowel had prolapsed, so I was referred to a dietician who put me on a low fibre diet. he also put me on a wheat and dairy free diet but nothing worked and my problems were getting much much worse! Drs give the diagnosis of IBS too much, and after I had camera test done on my report was ulcerative colitis as my diagnosis which was also not right

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: carly33
Petite50 (06-14-2013), Tanya007 (06-13-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #48
(female)

Tanya007 HB User

I did biofeedback several years ago but I was in a really stressful job at that time and I didn't really do well with it, but I think the rectocele prevented it from working properly so I'm going to give it another try. I didn't like the glycerin suppositories, they didn't sort out the incomplete evacuation. Now that I'm in a less stressful job and have had the rectocele fixed I hope that I'll be able to do the biofeedback training properly this time, because incomplete evac is horrible and has caused me a great deal of distress. I was glad to get the rectopexy to sort out the rectocele. I didn't realise people were having problems with the rectopexy op. but to be honest after all the years of distress caused by incomplete evac. I would have tried anything. One of the worst aspects was GPs and consultants almost telling me there was nothing wrong with me! I had to ask my GP for a 3rd referral to get the op in the first place, the op. was booked on the basis of an MRI scan from December 2010 and the surgeon who performed the op was the one who refused to do the op in April 2011, yet the diagnosis was based on the same MRI, it's been a long winding road to get here. My heart goes out to everyone with these problems, any problem to do with the bowel is so debilitating and upsetting.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Tanya007
carly33 (06-13-2013), Petite50 (06-14-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #49
(female)

Tanya007 HB User

I was diagnosed with IBS too. The MRI showed a rectocele in Dec 2010, yet 2 consultants in Edinburgh refused to refer me for surgery - and surgery is the only option for a rectocele- it's not muscular, it can only be corrected through surgery. I had to ask my GP for a 3rd referral before I got to see a 3rd consultant, Mr Wilson, who examined the original MRI and agreed I had a rectocele which required surgery. If I had not asked for a 3rd referral I would still have the rectocele. Although Mr Wilson did the referral the surgery was done by the original consultant. I wonder if the delays were in some way caused by nhs cutbacks, are they trying to save money, as surgery is expensive? I should not have had to wait so long, but at least the rectocele has been sorted at last. If the biofeedback doesn't work then I might have to go for peristeen irrigation too. I'm fed up with my bowel getting me down too, it's one of the most distressing health problems. The constant anxiety must take a toll on your body as well. Best of luck with the Peristeen, I hope it helps you and thank God we have it as an option.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #50
(female)

Petite50 HB User

I so agree with everyone that these bowel and health problems ruin our lives and take over so very much.Thank goodness i have good support at home.I have tried over the years to see if food stuffs were the cause but to no avail.Made no difference increasing or decreasing fibre etc and trying exclusion diets and my fluid intake has always been excellent!!I keep going and so wish and hope for myself and others on the forum we can find something that gives us some help and relief and we can enjoy life a bit more.Daily life is not easy to cope with at all.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #51
(female)

agrajag HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya007 View Post
I was diagnosed with IBS too. The MRI showed a rectocele in Dec 2010, yet 2 consultants in Edinburgh refused to refer me for surgery - and surgery is the only option for a rectocele- it's not muscular, it can only be corrected through surgery. I had to ask my GP for a 3rd referral before I got to see a 3rd consultant, Mr Wilson, who examined the original MRI and agreed I had a rectocele which required surgery. If I had not asked for a 3rd referral I would still have the rectocele. Although Mr Wilson did the referral the surgery was done by the original consultant. I wonder if the delays were in some way caused by nhs cutbacks, are they trying to save money, as surgery is expensive? I should not have had to wait so long, but at least the rectocele has been sorted at last. If the biofeedback doesn't work then I might have to go for peristeen irrigation too. I'm fed up with my bowel getting me down too, it's one of the most distressing health problems. The constant anxiety must take a toll on your body as well. Best of luck with the Peristeen, I hope it helps you and thank God we have it as an option.
I hope the biofeedback helps at least a bit the 2nd time, it's probably always worth another shot! Someone gave me Mr Wilson's name but I never saw him, did you find him easy to talk to? Was it Miss Collie or Mr Pitter who did your actual operation can I ask?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #52
(female)

agrajag HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly33 View Post
I currently spend about 2-3 hours a night doing my suppositories as Agrajag said it takes ages because a tiny bit comes out at a time, I have to do 12-14 suppositories a night. If the peristeen works then 35 mins instead of hours spent on the toilet would be better but still waiting on my appointment with the continence nurse. I do think if the sacral nerve stimulation fails to give me any relief and the peristeen fails I will ask for surgery, as so distressing and painful and my life has been ruled by my bowels for far too long. I was first diagnosed with IBS but of course they took about 2 years to find my bowel had prolapsed, so I was referred to a dietician who put me on a low fibre diet. he also put me on a wheat and dairy free diet but nothing worked and my problems were getting much much worse! Drs give the diagnosis of IBS too much, and after I had camera test done on my report was ulcerative colitis as my diagnosis which was also not right
12-14 suppositories Carly, how awful for you. I used to find before my operation 2-3 glycerols in the morning worked quite well, now they are hardly worth using as they get so little out! I must warn you I sadly had a similar experience with the peristeen: before my rectopexy it would work reasonably to get stool out over an hour or so, but after the rectopexy hours of peristeen use would only move a tiny amount of stool at a time -it just would not work anymore and I had to give it up. I think the rectopexy may have caused some kind of block, maybe linked to scar tissue from the mesh, and that stopped both the glycerols andperisteen being able to get more than a very small amount of stool out. However just cos peristeen did not work for me after my operation does not mean the same will be true for you-I've heard that the peristeen is sometimes specifically used to help with bowel damage after surgery i.e. it must help some with damage after surgery. Hope the milk of magnesia helps you too, try 20mls in the am and 20 in the pm to start maybe?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #53
(female)

carly33 HB User
Unhappy Re: Peristeen Rectal Irrigation

Hi Agrajag, yeh it's awful doing my suppositories and is very distressing and painful but have used 24 suppositories in the past as I felt so uncomftorable and unrelieved. Yeh before my rectopexy I used to use 4 suppositories a day, 2 in morning and 2 at night which worked fine and they got a fair bit out, but now a rock hard small ball comes out per 2 suppositories. ( I know is grose lol) I have my doubts that the peristeen will work for me as similar to you I just feel blocked up all the time. Will definitely will it a try though and see what happens, waiting for the sacral nerve stimulation surgery also

Old 06-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #54
(female)

Tanya007 HB User

Miss Collie did my rectopexy in April this year. Mr Wilson is a very nice man, he did an op. for anal fissure back in 2007. For some reason Miss Collie refused to do rectopexy for me in April 2011. I asked GP for another referral in 2011 due to the incomplete evac. and was referred to another colorectal surgeon, Mr Bartolo, he told me I had a rectocele but didn't refer me for surgery. Finally I almost begged my GP for a third referral as I was desperate to get something done about the incomplete evac, had read online that rectocele can cause incomplete evacuation, and that surgery is the only solution for it. Mr Wilson looked at the MRI from Dec 2010 and agreed I had a rectocele and referred me for a rectopexy. he said he'd do it himself if Miss Collie was too busy, that it was her speciality. i then got a pre-sugery to Mr Potter who told me the risks, but I was so desperate to get the rectocele sorted out I knew I had to take the risk, and said I wnted to go on the waiting list for it. Who did your rectopexy?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #55
(female)

carly33 HB User
Angry Re: Peristeen Rectal Irrigation

Hi everybody I too suffer from colonic inertia after my rectopexy in November 2012, my problem has since got worse as I have no feeling that I need to open my bowels until I use 12-14 suppositories a night. I have to remove in manually also as I can't push it out no matter how hard I try, I have got to point I drip with sweat on the loo and nearly pass out. I can't sit for too long and I feel very full in my belly area and my stomach is bloated all the time. I also get chronic anal pain after bowel movement but more recently I have pain there all the time and It feels extremely sore.
I am awaiting peristeen and sacral nerve stimulation surgery also

Old 06-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #56
(female)

agrajag HB User

Carly are you still seeing your Mr Jayne, can he help you, or was it he who recommended the peristeen and sacral nerve stimulation? Also you said you had colonic inertia, did you have a transit test before and after your rectopexy so you know it was the rectopexy that induced the colonic inertia?

Last edited by agrajag; 06-22-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #57
(female)

carly33 HB User

Hi again
I am still under professor Jayne who suggested the peristeen treatment and the sacral nerve surgery. I have asked my GP for a second opinion though as I don't feel as though professor Jayne has exhausted all the options that might be available. I didn't need a transit test as it was clear to the professor from my symptoms and history that it was colonic inertia.
How are you Agrajag?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #58
(female)

21Anne HB User
Wink Re: Peristeen Rectal Irrigation

Carly, I have put a couple more posts further up the page- some of the symptoms you describe here sound rather like mine- although I have managed to get myself into this situation without having any surgery. I did have a transit study which showed that I have slow transit in my colon. That has helped me understand my problem alot better- I think my colon is probably unusually large and bloated- I already know I had a large rectum, as my consultant showed it to me on the proctogram. I have lost the ability to push on the loo- in fact I pushed so much, it has caused major problems with my veins- I have to keep my legs elevated as much as I can. because I can't push I find the only way I can go to the loo is by taking large amounts of Movicol, which has left me incontinent. I am just learning how much Movicol suits me

. At the moment I'm trying 4 all in one go on one day, nothing the next and maybe 3 or 4 the following day. So far that seems to keep things moving for me, but the consequences in the bathroom are dreadful- some days I just can't cope. As many as 15 trips one day. I too have been prescribed Peristeen- should arrive in the next couple of weeks- but I'm not really convinced it will help me- from what I have read on the web,it works really best for people who have a normal rectum and colon. I'm thinking, is the amount of water you have to use ever going to reach the parts it needs to. Anyway, even if it helps me just a little, it will be worth a try.

I think what I want to say to you, is be careful, don't push too much- it has had dreadful consequences for my circulation system. Maybe would be better to increase your dose of Movicol, or something similar, so you don't need to push. I have never had the pain you describe just after a bowel movement, but I did have pain most of the day since last December, building up during the day until evening. Just about three weeks ago it was at its worst- radiating out through my buttocks. However, since starting to take these large doses of Movicol, the pain has completely gone, my stomach no longer feels bloated.Up to about 3 weeks ago, I was taking very small amounts of Movicol, and although it usually produced some results, it never shifted enough, and the pain was still there. If I had understood things better I would have had larger doses earlier, and maybe I wouldn't be in the dredful situation I'm in at the moment. My consultant suggested SNS to me too. I don't think it would work for me though, because surely with it, you would still have to push a little. Let us know how you get on with the Peristeen and the SNS

Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #59
(female)

21Anne HB User
Smile Re: Peristeen Rectal Irrigation

I noticed somewhere on this board that you mentioned that you had been offered a colostomy at one point. Am I right? I am at the point now that I think, the only hope for me would be to have one. I think nothing else will work for me as I am now totally incontinent. However my GP is saying that I have to have tried everything else first. Am about to try Peristeen in a couple of weeks. Am not that hopeful, but of course if it worked that would be great. Apart from that I cannot see that there is anything else that would help me- I can't push on the loo at all, so anything that might cause straining is out. I am wondering how I can persuade my GP or a consultant that a colostomy is my only hope. I realise a colostomy is extremely serious and has its own risks, but with my problems, I think it my only way out.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #60
(female)

carly33 HB User

Thanks for your posts 21Anne
I have to remove it manually as all the pushing is making me feel sick and my stomach muscles hurt also. From what I have read of your problems they are very similar to mine like you said.
I use up to 12-14 suppositories a night I find movicol gives me severe stomach cramps and even though it makes my stools loose it still won't come out naturally and have to stimulate it with my finger.
I havnt been offered a colostomy but don't know how much more I can take of this, it's ruling my life
Hope you are ok what have drs said about treatment except peristeen

Reply Reply