It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

Moscow Mom HB User
Post-op Sigmoid Resection with Rectopexy

Hi, I had a laparoscopic sigmoid resection w/rectopexy on March 1. I'm still bothered by stomach,pubic pains and go from constipation to diarrhea to normal. I feel as if I can't get too far from the bathroom. I spoke to the surgeon's office early this week and they say it's normal. I'm seeing the surgeon next week. Has anyone else had these symptoms, and do they get better? By the way, I'm very glad that I had the surgery (which was for rectal prolapse and that problem has disappeared) but the way I feel now is horrible. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
(female)

Alykat HB UserAlykat HB User
Re: Post-op Sigmoid Resection with Rectopexy

Moscow mom - how are you doing now? Any advice for me, I'm about to go thru rectopexy and sigmoid bowel resection. Pretty concerned after reading this board :-(

Are your bowels normal and better than before?
Pain?
Exercise again?
Foods that one should avoid or eat instead?
Thank you so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
(female)

Moscow Mom HB User

Hi, I am much better now. My bowels have calmed down a whole lot, altho I do sometimes still get stomach aches. But I am going pretty normally. I am walking a lot, altho I find if I walk one of my dogs and he pulls, it hurts. I can't vacuum - that seems to really make my tummy hurt. I haven't found much I can't eat. My doctor suggested I take Citrucel twice a day, which I do and I think that has helped, too. I don't take too much. Directly after surgery, in the hospital, I wasn't in a lot of pain after the first 24 hours but I did have Dilaudid whenever I needed it. I'm really glad I had the surgery because my rectum was starting to prolapse and that has been taken care of. I wish you much luck and do write back if you have any more questions.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
(female)

Thank you so much Moscow Mom. I'm so glad you are doing better!
I went grocery shopping for food to prep for after the surgery this coming wed. and got only soft fruit (melons and papaya). I just read online that you can't eat fiber for 6 weeks? Is that true? Not even soft raw fruit? I'm a vegan and all I eat are fruits and vegs bc I'm gluten & lactose intolerant.
Can you give me an idea about diet - what to avoid and what nonanimal non grain foods you can eat?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

Moscow Mom HB User

Hi,

My doctor told me I could eat whatever I wanted when I went home. In the hospital, I had a restricted diet: for the first 2 days, it was just clear liquids (ie all the stuff I was restricted to eating for the pre-op prep...yech) and then it moved up to soup and pudding. On the fourth and final day I was able to eat a normal diet. No one ever mentioned no fiber...in fact, when I went in for my 4 weeks post op check up they recommended I use Citrucel. So I would think you could eat whatever tasted good and felt good to your tummy! I think you'll be able to tell very quickly what works for you and what doesn't. When is your surgery? Take care.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
(female)

Thank you so so much!! It really helps.
My surgery is may 1st at 1 pm.
So ready to just get this fixed :-)

Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
(female)

Moscow Mom HB User

I will be thinking good thoughts on May 1st. I am very happy I had the surgery, and I hope you will be, too. Good luck! Let me know how you do.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
(female)

I'm still in hospital, surgery was finished up Wednesday night. Recovery is not fun at all. I'm supposing its gas pain that is making my whole abdomen hurt really really bad. Its really tight, crampy, pushing up into my rib cage. Please tell me this goes away after you pass gas or start having stools?
Haven't figured how to pass gas yet, I feel like its going to but then nothing. :-( Still on clear liquids. Any tips to make this process better? It's so nice to hear that in spite of the recovery y'all are happy you did it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alykat For This Useful Post:
FromAshesRising (07-12-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
(female)

Swalkiss HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alykat View Post
I'm still in hospital, surgery was finished up Wednesday night. Recovery is not fun at all. I'm supposing its gas pain that is making my whole abdomen hurt really really bad. Its really tight, crampy, pushing up into my rib cage. Please tell me this goes away after you pass gas or start having stools?
Haven't figured how to pass gas yet, I feel like its going to but then nothing. :-( Still on clear liquids. Any tips to make this process better? It's so nice to hear that in spite of the recovery y'all are happy you did it.
I had the same problem immediate post surgery, infact I looked about 6 months pregnant, they ended up giving me sapositiries < spelling not good> to see if this made me pass gas and go the toilet, but it wasnt till 6 days post surgery that I actually started passing gas, and that was also the first day I had a BM too!

Please try the peppermint tea, it may help you!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
(female)

Moscow Mom HB User

Glad you got through the surgery. I think I had an easier time than the two of you. I didn't have too much gas, but the first few times I had a BM, it was diarrhea - the first time in the hospital 4 days post-op, then I didn't go at all for several days which made me nervous. And I didn't go normally for the longest time, like two months went by before I felt even slightly normal. But my initial problem wasn't as bad as either of yours were. It all does go away and one day you will be glad you had the surgery, I hope! I think the thing is that no one tells you how difficult the recovery is going to be and how it really restricts you in ways, and how one day you feel ok, then you'll have several really bad days. I am thinking good thoughts for you both!

Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
(female)

Quick question - you do not have to push anymore to make BM to move, right?
That's my concern, I always had to push. I just learned this past year that is not normal and part of why my prolapse started.
After this surgery it just comes out as natural as when we pee, like involuntary ?

Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
(female)

Moscow Mom HB User

Hi. No, I don't have to push too much - if you do, you probably might need something like Citrucel to help things along. Mostly I don't have to. My problem before the surgery was that part of the rectum would come out even when I was peeing, which was awful. Now that doesn't happen and I'm much happier. How are you doing?

Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I didn't have this surgery but I had anal fissure surgery where they snip the muscle behind the fissure/tear. I was so scared to go to the bathroom the first time the dr told me to take citrucel and stool softners. I had some gas as well from them pumping my bowels with air for surgery. I was told to walk, yeah right. When I got home I took gas-x and that helped.

My hubby had a open colo-rectal resection, they took out 9 ft of his colon. He had cancer. Doing fine now. He had months of chemo and 30 days of rad. Tore his bowels up. He had a terrible time using the bathroom for months. He still, 10 yrs out, has to be near a bathroom. I guess with a shorter bowel thats bound to happen. Still can't get him to take his fiber lol! Cathy

Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
(female)

Wow ladies! So nice to have people to talk to!
That's crazy about noever your hubby getting that much out. I only got about a foot out. See if I had the fissure surgery I would have been scared, I heard its super painful. So glad you are oing well now!! I usually use flax meal for my fiber, but I only eat fruits and vegetables with minimal nuts and seeds so my fiber is high.
I've been told the surgery may change our diets a little. This will be interesting.

Moscowmom- I'm told I'm doing really good. I walk most the time, pass a little gas, had the runs one time but no BM yet. I just started soft foods today at 2:30 and only ate soft fruit for lunch and dinner. I was hoping for BM tonight but nothing. I'm so ready to go home, I just pace the hospital halls waiting for the urge to poo.

That's terrible it came out even for pee with you :-/. Mine came all the way out for BM's, and my sigmoid was turning and looping all over. Thy have not given any fiber or stool softners here. Hoping fruit is enough to get it to happen.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
(female)

Moscow Mom HB User

I know that walking will help you post-op. I hated having to eat the soft foods in the hospital and know how you feel about wanting to go home! As I think I told you, it took a long time for me to go normally, and I am not totally normal yet. I think I had about 12 inches of my sigmoid colon removed. I can tell you that I'm finally feeling human, after two months I'm finally getting my strength back. Last night, however, my stomach really hurt but this a.m. it's better. So it's a long road, but for me, it's been well worth it.

Closed Thread