It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 06:53 PM  
(female)

Anonimoose HB User
Question Constipation after Diarrhea???

So on Friday of last weekend, I was at a hotel and I got food because I was on a trip. I ate extremely fast on an empty stomach. I have a history of my gut not always wanting to agree with me, so my stomach was upset and I had 3 bouts of very watery diarrhea (to the point of the last bowel movement just being cloudy water!!) and I also had the urge to throw up multiple times (although I never did). Along with this, I have been constipated before, or had stomach upsets after eating, or would go multiple times every day, then skip a few days. Anyways, after the bout of diarrhea on Friday, I have not gone since that incident.

Lately, I have been constipated after every single month just before my period. Once I went a week and a half without a regular, healthy bowel movement (not counting the tiny chunks and strings that would come out, eventually glycerin suppositories helped to regulate me) If I'm not irregular, my period should start tomorrow or a few days later. I'm 16, so I should not be having this many problems with my stomach. I'm having a lower back ache and it feels like nothing is moving inside of me. My entire midsection feels heavy, and I'm also getting quite a bit of smelly gas. I am also extremely bloated but it could also be the period about to happen. I'm taking vitamin supplements for girls w/ magnesium to see if it will get moving, and trying to eat lots of fiber and drink water so I'm properly hydrated. I'm a bit worried about this constipation... is it normal to be constipated after a bout of diarrhea because it cleaned me all the way out? My mom always asks me to wait these things out... should I?

**I also forgot to add that I am on 20mg omeprazole once a day because I get acid reflux quite a bit

Last edited by Anonimoose; 03-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constipation after Diarrhea???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonimoose View Post
So on Friday of last weekend, I was at a hotel and I got food because I was on a trip. I ate extremely fast on an empty stomach. I have a history of my gut not always wanting to agree with me, so my stomach was upset and I had 3 bouts of very watery diarrhea (to the point of the last bowel movement just being cloudy water!!) and I also had the urge to throw up multiple times (although I never did). Along with this, I have been constipated before, or had stomach upsets after eating, or would go multiple times every day, then skip a few days. Anyways, after the bout of diarrhea on Friday, I have not gone since that incident.

Lately, I have been constipated after every single month just before my period. Once I went a week and a half without a regular, healthy bowel movement (not counting the tiny chunks and strings that would come out, eventually glycerin suppositories helped to regulate me) If I'm not irregular, my period should start tomorrow or a few days later. I'm 16, so I should not be having this many problems with my stomach. I'm having a lower back ache and it feels like nothing is moving inside of me. My entire midsection feels heavy, and I'm also getting quite a bit of smelly gas. I am also extremely bloated but it could also be the period about to happen. I'm taking vitamin supplements for girls w/ magnesium to see if it will get moving, and trying to eat lots of fiber and drink water so I'm properly hydrated. I'm a bit worried about this constipation... is it normal to be constipated after a bout of diarrhea because it cleaned me all the way out? My mom always asks me to wait these things out... should I?

**I also forgot to add that I am on 20mg omeprazole once a day because I get acid reflux quite a bit
Our estrogen levels have a lot to do with how often or little we move our bowels arund our period. Some women say they only move their bowels regularly when they have their period. I have IBS and chronic constipation problems,so when I get my period it only makes matters worse because of the cramps. I take advil a lot during that time so that makes my constipation worse. If I don't move my bowels within 48 hours of the last one then it's very painful to try to go on the 3rd day. I now know if I don't move my bowels within 48 hours then I need to use a glycerin suppository to soften the stool inside of me to make it easier to go.
Citrucel or metamucil twice a day will help you to maintain regularity. Also,I found that if I eat a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed and 6 stewed apricots or prunes every morning for breakfast then I don't get constipated. I have found if I give myself 30 minutes every day of sitting on the toilet before or after breakfast to move my bowels then I don't get constipated at all,even during my period.
I also get constipated after having bouts of diarrhea and can't go for 3-4 days after the last bout of diarrhea. It sounds like you may have IBS. Irritable syndrome symptoms are as follows: constipation,diarrhea,bloating,gassy,bou ts of diarrhea followed by constipation,pain in the lower left side of the abdomen and spreading to lower back pain especially when you're constipated,foul smelling gas when constipated,trapped gas. A lower barium enema will help the doctor determine if you have IBS. Many people who have one digestive problem will have other digestive problems as well. Diet plays a big role in both IBS and acid reflux. I hope this will be helpful to you.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Constipation after Diarrhea???

Hi,
Go easy on the Fibre. I found that too much caused me to be constipated, it's a case of regulating your intake.
Eat lot's of fruit and veg, you can juice it if you prefer. I have had good results with prunes and prune-juice,
try not to worry as not everyone has a daily bowel movement. Get plenty of exercise,

Solofelix.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 AM  
(female)

Anonimoose HB User
Talking Re: Constipation after Diarrhea???

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I've been getting some slow, but steady relief. I do believe that my extreme PMS does play a role in this, and also due to the fact that I did not eat well at ALL on the trip. I ate all of the foods that would aggravate PMS symptoms 10 fold, and also aggravated my acne breakouts as well. I started getting fiber from oats and fruits and leafy greens in salads and such, and that has made a difference. I also have been drinking a bit more water than I should have been drinking, and I think the water has been helping. I've been putting sweets in my body yes, but in moderation. I've also gotten some exercise and that I think that the movement and the water was one of the best things to do for myself.