It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
(female)

Radiant57 HB User
Laparoscopic Ventral Rectopexy - Advice Please

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a Laparoscopic Ventral
Rectopexy operation and who is willing to share their experiences good or bad.

I am concerned with coping after my operation which currently scheduled for the middle of April 2013 in Oxford with the intention of rectifying obstructed defaecation due to an intussusception of the bowel and a rectocele. (Due to severe endometriosis I also have to have a hysterectomy at the same time.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
(female)

agrajag HB User
Re: Laparoscopic Ventral Rectopexy - Advice Please

I had this surgery, done with the purpoted aim of improving obstructed defecation. I am afraid it made my symptoms horrendously worse rather than better and obviously I deeply regret my decision to have it. i don't doubt there are many who improve with this surgery but I believe it makes a proportion worse. Before my own surgery i made a list of all those i had come across who have had this surgery and have since added to it -six patients improved, four unchanged and four worse including myself, though one of the worsened patients improved alot after a colectomy. Bear in mind that is made from people on forums so will be somewhat skewed towards non improvers. I had my surgery at Oxford but have since been treated elsewhere and it is fair to say different medical professionals have very different views on the risks associated with this operation. Have you considered a second opinion? Who is the surgeon set to perform your op and is it private or nhs, could I ask please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
(female)

Petite50 HB User

I had a ventral mesh rectopexy in December 2012 for a rectal prolapse.I new i was taking a chance on having it done and that it could make me worse but i was willing to take the chance as i was so desperate for help and to feel well.Unfortunately it was not a success and my symptoms and health are a lot worse,which i find very depressing.It is a decision i feel that you have to decide for yourself whether to have done or not but i understand the reason for you looking for advice,i only wish i could be more positive.I do hope whatever you decide is the right thing for you and brings you some good health and wellbeing.Good luck.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
(female)

maddieg1947 HB User

I also had this done in May 2012. The surgery itself did not go well because the rectum was nicked so they had to revert to abdominal, and without the mesh because of the danger of infection. The whole thing was lifted and stitched into place. The surgery was quite successful it improved my symptoms but I still had some problems. I have since had a posterior repair and pelvic floor repairs (January 2013) It only 9 weeks ago and there is more improvement, but not quite there yet. I have to see my Co-rectal consultant in June so it may improve more by then, but originally he said some of my sigmoid colon may need to be removed, so I may need that done. The consultant who did the Posterior repair I am seeing in early May but I think what he did was quite successful.

I do not regret having the surgery and I do believe it has helped me, but others have not been so lucky

Good luck whatever you decide

Maddie

Last edited by maddieg1947; 04-03-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
(female)

Petite50 HB User

Radiant57-Would be intersted to hear how you are and how you get on following the surgery you are due to have this month.Take care.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
(female)

Radiant57 HB User

Its just two days to go now and I shall be pleased to let you know in due course, hopefully with good news.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
(female)

Radiant57 HB User

Surgery is scheduled for Monday with Mr Ian Lindsey in Oxford and also a 2nd surgeon for the gynaecological parts in a 4 hour operation.
I have been advised that due to large ovarian cysts and also the presence of significant endometrial matter glueing the internal organs including a small section of the bowel wall that the rectopexy may not be straight forward/possible .
I didn't get (or feel I needed) a second opinion but if I had I would have chosen Mr Dixon in Bristol. I understand that both Mr Lindsey and Mr Dixon work closely together in this field and are both highly regarded. I have found Mr Lindsey refreshingly straight forward and honest. I understand that it can take several months for the bowel to settle down afterwards and not to expect to much too soon. One thing I have been very surprised at is the lack of nutritional advice.
I shall post again when I am on the road to recovery.

Last edited by Radiant57; 04-13-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
(female)

gramber HB User

Hi Radiant 57. I too had this surgery performed by Mr.Lindsey back in 2009, and further similar surgery 3 months ago. I'm afraid to say that, particularly since the second surgery, my symptoms have worsened, and I would advise caution when having this kind of surgery performed. I too was diagnosed with obstructed defecation due to rectal intussusception, and was told that there was an 80% chance of improvement to my symptoms. Unfortunately this was not the case, and I wish I had looked at other options and taken further advice.
It sounds like a very big operation you will be having, and you mention that the rectopexy may not be straightforward, or even possible, due to your other problems. Is there an option to have the hysterectomy and then decide whether to press on with the rectopexy when you are recovered from this? If you do have problems afterwards, it may be difficult to ascertain which of the surgeries is causing them.
I'm sorry to sound so negative,particularly so close to your surgery date, but I have experienced a lot of problems following my surgeries, and I don't think it's one to go into lightly. However, saying all of that, I'm sure you have done your research, and we must all make our own decisions as petite50 rightly says. I wish you lots of luck and please keep us posted to how things are. Reading others experiences has helped me cope and feel supported, and you will find this too I hope. Good luck for Monday.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
(female)

maddieg1947 HB User

Hi Radiant

Good luck for Monday. The Oxford centre is supposed to be the best place in England to have this surgery when I researched it, I even considered travelling there from Birmingham myself. Mine did not go according to plan but it was stitched into place instead, just stay positive and I look forward to hearing your story when its over

Maddie x

Old 04-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
(female)

Radiant57 HB User

Hi Maddieg 1947
Thank you so much for your reply and encouragement it is really good to hear that the operation helped you - I shall do my very best to stay positive.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #11
(female)

Radiant57 HB User

Hi Grambler,

Thank you for your message.

I have been getting blocked to the point of belching and vomiting and only now just keeping this at bay despite taking at least 4 Movicol a day and resorting to a daily water enema to keep the bowel clear.

I initially went to the Manor Hospital in Oxford for a rectopexy operation on 6th March. The operation was aborted due to obstruction by large ovarian cysts and the endometriosis. I am now being treated as an emergency on the NHS.

I have spoken with 2 GPs following an MRI scan in between, both of whom I regard highly and who both feel that I have no option but to proceed.

The only other option may be to divert the bowel to the outside - I felt that the rectopexy would be worth trying first. To some extent I have to leave it at the discretion of Mr Lindsey tomorrow although I shall certainly ask that he aborts the operation again if more thinking time or more information is required - I do undertand that there is a limit to how long I can live like this.

May I ask if your operation removed the intussusception in the bowl. If so is it being suggested that your obstructed defecation is due to another reason rather than the intussusception?

You also mention that you have experienced a lot of problems post surgery - would you be willing to expand on this please.

Thank you in advance.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
(female)

Petite50 HB User

Radiant 57-My symptoms are much worse post surgery also.Rectum and pelvic agonising pain,chronically straining even more than before and my pelvic floor very weak also.I am ill 24/7!!but as said before,everyone is different and each individual has to decide what is right for them.Wishing you lots of luck with your surgery.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
(female)

gramber HB User

Hi Radiant57 - I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you a more positive account, and I hope I haven't upset you too much. We are all different, and what works for one person, won't work for another. Maddieg1947 seems to have had a more positive experience with her surgery, I can only tell you honestly about my situation.

Like you, the only way I can empty my bowels it to take 4-8 Movicol sachets per day, and to use suppositries and Peristeen. This was the case before surgery, and it did not alter after I had my initial rectopexy in 2009. Since my second surgery in January this year, I have had much more pain than previously, and it has become much more difficult to get anything out. I have a lot of left-sided pain, which I never had before, and much more bloating and discomfort. It takes me, on average, about 3 hours to empty my bowels every evening. I think the rectopexy possibly corrected the prolapse, I can't be completely sure, but it has caused far more problems unfortunately. Nerve damage and severe constipation are often risks associated with this kind of surgery. I am having a nerve stimulator fitted in a couple of weeks which I hope will counter the nerve damage I have sustained.

It sounds as if you have done your research, and I can understand the desire to get some relief from these problems, it's so awful. I really do hope it works out for you and you can get some normality back - I think that's what we're all aiming for. I wish you lots of luck with your surgery, and really do hope it works for you. Do let us know how you get on and I will keep my fingers crossed. Take care

Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
(female)

gramber HB User

Hi Radiant57 - I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you a more positive account, and I hope I haven't upset you too much. We are all different, and what works for one person, won't work for another. Maddieg1947 seems to have had a more positive experience with her surgery, I can only tell you honestly about my situation.

Like you, the only way I can empty my bowels it to take 4-8 Movicol sachets per day, and to use suppositries and Peristeen. This was the case before surgery, and it did not alter after I had my initial rectopexy in 2009. Since my second surgery in January this year, I have had much more pain than previously, and it has become much more difficult to get anything out. I have a lot of left-sided pain, which I never had before, and much more bloating and discomfort. It takes me, on average, about 3 hours to empty my bowels every evening. I think the rectopexy possibly corrected the prolapse, I can't be completely sure, but it has caused far more problems unfortunately. Nerve damage and severe constipation are often risks associated with this kind of surgery. I am having a nerve stimulator fitted in a couple of weeks which I hope will counter the nerve damage I have sustained.

It sounds as if you have done your research, and I can understand the desire to get some relief from these problems, it's so awful. I really do hope it works out for you and you can get some normality back - I think that's what we're all aiming for. I wish you lots of luck with your surgery, and really do hope it works for you. Do let us know how you get on and I will keep my fingers crossed. Take care

Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
(female)

maddieg1947 HB User

Hi Radiant 57

How are you doing since your surgery ? Hope it went well

Maddie x

Closed Thread