It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
(male)

rvx290 HB User
Head Injury..hair now falling out

A friend of mine was assaulted some time ago & had a serious blow to the head & a minor fracture. there was a huuuge lump on the side of his head, above his ear. The bruise is slowly going away & is almost gone, but as the bruise went away, his hair started falling out, there is now a large patch on the side of his head that is completely bald (with the exeption of peach fuzz.) You guessed it, I am asking if this is permanent or if the hair is going to grow back, We thought it would have grown back by now, but its been about 2 months & nothing has happened.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
(male)

rvx290 HB User
Re: Head Injury..hair now falling out

anyone have any input?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
(male)

rvx290 HB User

Sorry for bringing it up again, Is there another section I should be posting it in?

Old 01-09-2005, 05:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I am thinking that no one answered because they really don't know.i don't either but just wanted to say that if you can see the peach fuzz there that the follicules must be working okay.i know that during any trauma to various parts of your body, the body will react by going into some sort of shock type syndromes.The fact that your friend was hit extremely hard in that spot probably caused the follicules in that area to shock and release the hair there.I would have him ask his doc about this to really get the best answer to this question.I hope this helped a little anyway.Marcia

Old 07-17-2006, 05:59 AM   #5
(female)

kirsten jean HB User

Hi,
I don't actually have a definite answer, but my boyfriend is going through the same thing. He had a very serious brain injury and has of course lost is hair where he had his surgery. However, he had two sores on the back of his head (bed sores? I'm not sure) that nobody noticed until he was at the rehabiliation center (1 month after his injury) when his hair started falling out, but just in those strange spots in the back of his head.
He hit is head on the right side, and also received two bruises in his frontal lobes from his brain bouncing when he hit his head. The doctors never said anything about him having any kind of injury in the back. There was swelling of the brain and it can continue to swell for up to 3 months, so that may have something to do with it, if the swelling is severe enough. That though, is entirely a guess..the doctors haven't said anything about that to me.
It is starting to grow back a little in some places, but it's also started to spread just a bit (not enough for him to notice). I read somewhere that after a serious illness or high fever (which often accompanies head injuries) hair can fall out. It says a bit more on this web site, near the bottom, but I have been unable to find much more info. I hope someone will have a better answer soon!
[url][removed][/url]

One last thing, I have heard of kids who lost their hair due to a brain injury/head injury and needed hair plugs. So I guess it just depends if it will grow back.

Last edited by WanderingMod; 07-17-2006 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules that outline how to share information.

Closed Thread