It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

jade9182 HB User
Bipolar from head injury?

Is it possible to get bipolar from a head injury? I had a head injury 2 yrs ago and now docs think that I have signs of bipolar. I was fine before all this, any input would help. thanks

Last edited by jade9182; 04-19-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
(female)

jmm1_em24 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Bipolar from head injury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade9182
Is it possible to get bipolar from a head injury? I had a head injury 2 yrs ago and now docs think that I have signs of bipolar. I was fine before all this, any input would help. thanks
Hey, yeah it is possible.. I too am a sufferer from a Head/Brain injury 9yrs ago. If you go into search I think it is.. or maybe the Health Center, it has a whole list of things.. Look into Head Injury and it'll tell you that it can cause bipolar. I myself am suffering from 12yrs of depression.. Hope this helps some..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
Re: Bipolar from head injury?

I really don't know. Just wanted to wish you luck with your treatment. Love, Lori

Old 04-19-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
(male)

maniasterisk HB User

Anything's possible...

I, myself, was knocked unconscious by a baseball bat at age 4 (awakening in the hospital) and the very next year kissed a metal dashboard with the right side of my head (resulting in 13 stitches and another unconscious break)...

The first impact was to the pre-frontal area ~ which they say effects inhibitions...

You tell me !!!

~ M* ~

Old 04-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
(female)

Garnet77 HB User

Dont know but, this is the first I hear of this.... My husbands therapist says Bipolar comes from Heredited genes. I dont see where it can come from a head injury. You can have Anxiety attacks or panick attacks from a head injury even depression but, bipolar is awhole lot more than that in which mania or manic episodes are up and down. Someone with bipolar is usually addicted to some form of drug or has an alcohol abuse situation. A person w/bipolar also has been in trouble with the law usually many times due to the mania-manic episodes. I have personally had 11 concussions in my whole life and I am bearly 28 and I dont suffer from Bipolar at all. I do have depression though and many panick attacks but thats all and Ive been under a physician for years....I was unconscious 5 of those times....

Old 04-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User

I think I've read that head injuries can't cause bp disorder but can be a trauma that triggers a predisposition to bp and consequently breakthrough symptoms occur.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
(female)

angelblue65 HB User

Jade,
Interesting question - my BF who has BPII had several serious head injuries as a child/teenager. He first developed severe migraines (boy are they bad when he gets them) and then was diagnosed with BP when he was about 19.

Reesie, that makes sense that head injuries wouldn't necessarily cause the illness but would, rather, trigger any predisposition you might have had.

Jade, it's good that you are seeing a doctor. And this is the best place to be if you need to discuss anything. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hi there,

I just wanted to comment on the post by Garnett77.

Please be careful when making generalizations about people with bipolar disorder. We have to deal with so much of a stigma because of just exactly the kind of statements you made in your post.

There is a high percentage of bipolars who self-medicate to help them deal with their mood disorder. However it is not true to say that most people who suffer from bipolar are addicts. Nor is it true that most of us have been in trouble with the law. You do hear stories of people who have gotten in trouble and end of being bipolar, but that isn't the norm.

Most of us have struggled with manic episides that affected our jugement and our behavior, but the majority of us don't go out and commit crimes and do drugs. I have researched this disorder extensively, and have never seen any statistics to back that up. That's the kind of image society has of us that we're trying to overcome.

I've never had a head injury, and although it isn't completely known what causes it, most experts agree that bipolar is a genetic condition.

I've also never been arrested for anything in my life, and I bet if you took a poll of the people in this group, you would find that most of us have not been in trouble with the law.

Ok, I feel better, I hope everyone has a good weekend...

~~heather~~

Old 04-25-2005, 08:23 AM   #9
(female)

Mother2Stefani HB User

hummm, I was wondering the same thing. My daughter fell from a cheerleading stunt 2 years ago and hit her head and was rushed to the hospital. She has since been diagnose as bi-polar and Schizophrenic.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

The vast majority of people with bi-polar disorder were born that way. I would also agree that the stress of an injury could trigger an episode. How old are you? Most bipolars are not diagnosed until their 20s.

But to answer your question, yes, head injuries can cause bipolar, as well as a number of other mental illnesses. If you think of mental illness as a neurological disorder, it makes sense. The brain is incredibly delicate and poorly understood. Almost anything can cause damage. There are numerous studies and case studies showing that (rarely) bipolar can be caused by a traumatic brain injury. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User

This is an interesting question. I have wondered a few times in my life about myself.
When I was 6 weeks old, I had a head injury- a skull fracture on the back of my head, extending to both sides of my head. Then I started having bipolar symptoms at age 12.
I have kind of always wondered if they were related, but I don't know...
Kristina

Old 04-26-2005, 10:20 PM   #12
(female)

jade9182 HB User

Thank you all for your replies. To answer my age question, I am 35. I was 33 when I got hit in the head by an 80 lb metal door which led to staples to close the wound, pc seizures, herniated disc in neck, 25% perm damage to neck and shoulder muscles, anxiety and panic, depression on and on. Now i just found out i have cubital tunnel syndrome in my left arm and have appt with ortho surgeon soon. The brain is a funny thing and id like to know how its proven that bipolar is only hereditary. I dont know. Its gotten to the point where I (since injury) am now a self cutter. I would think that head injuries can cause major emotional problems whether bipolar or whatever else you want to call it. I wish you all the best.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade9182
how its proven that bipolar is only hereditary.
Saying that something has a genetic basis, or that it is congenital (present at birth), is not the same as saying it is hereditary. I believe that (most) bipolars are born that way. That doesn't mean that they inherited the gene from their parents in the same way that hair or eye color is passed on. Mental illness does tend to run in families, but there are plenty of people with bipolar who have no family history. It is a complicated interaction between genetics and environment.

I absolutely believe that mental illness can be caused by traumatic head injury. Try doing an on-line search. I am sure you will find dozens of case studies of people with no history of mental illness who developed severe symptoms after an injury. You are not alone!

Good luck.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:21 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

One of the MANY interesting 'pieces of information' I came across over the last few years was...

Although generally accepted (at present) that there is a high chance of becoming Bi-Polar if one or both parents are diagnosed, the onset of the 'illness' is frequently brought on by a major trauma.

Hedge

Last edited by Hedgehog No 1; 04-28-2005 at 03:22 AM.

Closed Thread