It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #1

INTform HB User
Hypertropia and ptosis after mild head injury

Hi,

i'm 18 years old... In beginning of august I fell on the right side of my forehead. The fall itself was quite minor, no loss of conciousness and just a large goose egg but a few days later, my right eyelid drooped, covering half of my eye. The majority of the drooping went away after a few weeks, but I still have slight drooping of my right eyelid. It's constant, but more noticeable when i'm tired.

Also, my right eye is constantly tilted upwards, like mild hypertropia. It's noticeable all the time, and quite obvious and distressing. My doctor says that it might be nerve trauma, and that I should wait 6 months and then see... I haven't noticed any improvement in the hypertropia for now...

Is anyone familiar with what i'm saying and can tell me how often these cases spontaneously resolve? And the timeframe?

Thanks

Old 11-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Inactive

Torre HB User
Re: Hypertropia and ptosis after mild head injury

Hiya. The nerves involved here are the 4th and 6th cranial nerves. I'm a little more familiar with 6th cranial nerve palsy, but only from reading about it. Six months is the normal time given for improvement. Don't know the percentages who recover versus the ones who don't, but I think the majority of people do get better.
You can get more info by looking up cranial nerve palsies.

Good luck, hope you have a full recovery.

Torre

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #3

INTform HB User

Thanks...

I'm a little concerned that it's been three and a half months without any noticeable improvement... I'm 18, and I really really hope I get better.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
Inactive

Torre HB User

Yeah, I can understand that. But, they do say six months, not three-and-a-half
People who don't improve in a year often choose to have strabismus surgery to correct the misalignment. There is ptosis surgery as well, but if the lid isn't interfering with vision, it would be for cosmetic purposes and would have to be considered carefully. You'd need to find a good ocular plastic surgeon and the results aren't always perfect.

But, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

My husband fell off a ladder in August and landed on the side of his head & face. It was only a ten foot drop but he broke his eye socket and had bleeding on the brain. He may have had a small retinal tear because he could see a cloudy spot in that eye. His main problem now is vertigo.

Anyway, hope you do get better.

T.

Closed Thread