It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
(male)

bgsha HB User
Trigger Point Injection for relief of cervical pain after Head injury

I had a head injury that resulted in concussion nearly four months ago. I was in constant head pain/headache for more than 2 months and later on neck pain took over. MRI of head was normal and cervical spine showed disc dessication/bulge (C3-C6) and mild straightening of lordosis. I was put on Flexeril, Norflex, Iboprufen-800 mg and also had few sessions of PT.
The neck pain continues with slight pain in shoulder and on and off headaches.

My Physiatrist has recomended trigger point injection for cervical myofiscal pain relief. I was wondering 1) how safe is the injection, and 2) is it worth going for the shot or there are alternatives?

Thanks for the feedback

Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Trigger Point Injection for relief of cervical pain after Head injury

I did have epidural steroid injections in my C5-C7 area that did help. For some people these injections work long term and they can alleviate pain for quite a while (the first set of ESI I did relieved my pain for 1.5 years). Although not totally un-invasive they are a minimally invasive way to possibly alleviate symptoms.

Karin
C5-C7 ACDF
5/18/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

i have multiple cervical problems. my rheumi gave me 2 trigger point injections in my trapezius muscles that helped tremendously

Old 09-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
(male)

bgsha HB User

Thanks-

What chemicals are injected in trigger point injection- are they safe or can lead to possible side effects. Thanks

Old 09-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
(female)

puparoo HB User

I think trigger points are either steroids, numbing agents (like lidocaine) or botox - ask the doc which kind of injection he / she is thinking of.

I'd think that they are fairly safe. I've had them before with no complications or problems. Just slight soreness. Maybe an allergic reaI would think that trigger point injections are very, very safe. I know they are routinely used for headaches and othery myofascial pain syndromes. My aunt gets botox for her headaches and she couldn't live w/o it.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
(male)

bgsha HB User

Thanks.

I think the Doc is going to use Lidocaine for trigger point injection. He thinks that since PT and muscle relaxing medications (Flexeril, Skeletin, Norflex) didnt work, he wants to use the trigger point shot for muscle relaxation in neck, shoulders and other places.

As I never had shot before, is it Ok to assume that it is safe or better way is to continue with medications and PT. I prefer not to have more complications from shots if there are any.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

you should be fine. i have multiple health problems and take alot of meds for them. i always have a reaction to a steroid shot and oral steroids but had no reaction from the trigger point injections except relief. good luck.

Closed Thread