It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
(female)

Rachelr81 HB User
Unhappy Scared about recent Closed Head Injury

HI, thought I would try one of these boards to see if it helps. I was recently in a Motor Vehicle Accident. Someone ran a red light and T-boned me hitting the passanger side of my car and pushing me into a pole. THis happend Oct 21. My car was totaled and i was diagnosed with a closed head injury (cuncussion). FOr a week and half later I was experienceing severe post cuncussion syndrome. Memory prob, dizziness, conentration problems, speech problems, bright lights & loud noice a prob etc. I had a Cat scan at the er and it did'nt show anything after the accident.
However I"m very scared of the after math of the closed head injury. I just moved to Tucson and am seeing a new DR. He does'nt seem that knowledgable in in Closed head injuries. My accident occured on October 21st. I stillhave a bump on my forehead and I'm still experiencing headaches, concentration problems and dizzyspells. Loud noises still affect me. After the dizzyspells I feel a pressure in my head and it does'nt seem to go away for hours and expiereince blurred vision. This Dr. Says its ok and its part of the healing process. I don't know if I trust him.. I feel like I should get a second opinion. I'm very scared and I don't feel like my self. Graduate school has become alot harder. Please lend me any advice you can.

Last edited by Rachelr81; 11-08-2006 at 10:47 PM.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: Scared about recent Closed Head Injury

Speak with a Neurosurgeon, he/she might have more insight for you. Even just a Neurologist might be able to tell you more. Good luck to you and God Bless.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 11-21-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
(female)

Bethersbabyy HB User

you may want to go see a different doctor just to see what he says. but.. I had my head injury about 2 and a half years ago and i still have problems. A brain injury takes awhile to heal. I think its normal for that to be happening it has only been a month. hope i helped

Old 11-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

You should definately see another neurologist. Oh, honey! I'm soo sorry all of these things are happening to you! Terrible! Well, you definately have Post Concussion Syndrome. But not all types of PCS go away on their own. 2 years ago I got a concussion when I was ice skating. I blacked out and everything. I have been getting tons and tons of symptoms and we are just now realizing that the concussion was the cause of it. Please don't let this keep going on. Keep going to different doctors until you are satisfied. I hope you get better soon. Take it easy.

God bless,
Victoria

Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
(female)

Fortitude HB User

I don't know where to start. My accident was very very similar to your, almost the exact same, only I hit the guardrail instead of a pole. The bad news is I had the same injury, closed head injury, with other injuries (multiple skull fractures, middle ear fractures of the bones, right eye nerve damage, right eye socket fracture, left sinus cavity fracture, short term memory loss). The short term memory came back but I still have major problems with it, especially in school and with basic everyday things. It seems like the effects from my accident are worse now than they were when it happened. It happened in 2002, my senior year in high school, I almost didn't graduate. Even though your are unsure and a little skeptical about your doctor not knowing that much about head injury, he is right about what he has told you. It is normal for you to be experiencing all of those symptoms. I'm suprised your not experiencing more, and having more difficulties in school. Did you need to do any therapy (occupational/physical) or anything? If you are really having trouble with memory or cognitive skills and concentrating you might want to go see a neuropsychologist. Also to help with school, there are accomodations they can help you with if you need that, like extra time for tests, a note taker, etc. It takes a while to recover from a head injury, depending on the person and other circumstances. But it is important to feel comfortable with your doctor and if you don't feel comfortable and that he is doing what he needs to do to help you get better in every way possible, that you need to find another doctor that works for you. Remember, you are paying him/her for their services. This is the second motor vehicle post ive read and posted to, it just seems that from what I've read these head injuries aren't taken that seriously. After a head injury, you need a lot of rest, and it takes a while for a person to get back on track and it just seems like the healing process is rushed. When I had my accident, I felt fine and wanted to go back to school and do the things that I was doing and get back to the way things were. I didn't really give myself time to heal. Now it seems like more problems are popping up and/or getting worse as I get older, and that accident was 5 years ago this March. Don't take this the wrong way but I guess from experience, don't be in a rush to get better with an injury like this, cuz it takes time, especially when you know and acknowlege that you already have cognitive problems (with school). When its rushed, its not properly treated and it might take longer to heal, along with the frustration. But then again everyone is different and everyone heals diffferently. I seriously think you needed more rest (more down time) than anything after that accident, with occupational and maybe physical therapy (I don't know about the physical therapy cuz I don't know how bad you were). For a head injury, you haven't even been out for a month and your up and about doing your normal activities, it sounds. That doesn't sound right. Your brain hasn't had time to heal at all in less than a month. After my accident I couldn't even walk by myself, coudln't go to the bathroom by myself, couldn't bathe by myself. But maybe you just needed more time to heal and even more doctor visits and evalutations, I know I keep saying that over and over. I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way. Just a couple suggestions, maybe a little strong ones here and there, sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to. I hope you find doctors that can help you and are beneficial to your recovery. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me. I know a lot about this kind of thing, I'd love to talk to you if you have any other problems about your accident. I hope you recover, quicker than I did Hang in there and good luck!

Brenda

p.s. just remember that everything your experiencing IS normal

Closed Thread