It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2001, 02:31 PM   #1

deborah32 HB User
Question head injury and seizures

About 7 1/2 months ago my husband was in a car accident and suffered a depressed skull fracture and sub-durral hematoma. He was in a coma for 6 days and in the hospital for 1 month. His recovery has gone remarkably well since then and he is now back to work full time. About 3 months ago he had his first grand-mal seizure, just after his doctor had weened him off of Dilantin. They put him back on Dilantin and he has had 2 seizures since then. They have adjusted his dose and he is now on 600 mg of Dilantin a day. I would like to hear from anyone out there would has/is experiencing seizures from a traumatic brain injury. My husband has nocturnal seizures, and one thing that we have noticed is that they often occur if he has a lot of sugar before bed.

Old 07-04-2001, 05:03 PM   #2

ItsMeCH2 HB User
Lightbulb

Howdy Debora,
My husband has had seizures for the 25 years I've known him.He was discharged from the Navy due to what they thought was sleepwalking.In 1972 he was in a motorcycle accident with tramatic head injury.When I married him in 1978 I presumed I was the first to notice Epilepsy.He has seizures within 2 or 3 hours after falling asleep.There has been alot I've noticed since dealing with this.It wasn't untill I bought a Computer the words for it.
One is keep a journal exspecialy on bad days.Often a doctor will see this and be able to figure out what is going on with your husbands Epilepsy.
Another is what the Epilepsy community call Triggers.In my husbands case
lack of sleep,stress,alcahol,and not eating right.
Also there is what they call Auras.My husband doesn't have these.They are a rotton taste and smell that warns of a seizure.
Hope this helps.If I can be of any help.I post in the caregiver forum here also.
CINDY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2001, 12:30 PM   #3

deborah32 HB User
Thanks for your reply Cindy.

How often does your husband have the seizures? I am also curious what kind of medication he is on? It is good to hear there are other people out there like us! My husband is/was a huge motorcycler. Does your husband still ride?

Closed Thread