It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
(male)

dahlstrom34 HB User
Can head injury cause my problems?

I had a head injury about 2 years ago and have had various problems since then. I hit my head on a cement potter (like the one's that are on the sidewalks that accomodate small tree).

Symptoms since the injury:

Joint Stiffness and Muscle Weakness
Shingles for a week after the injury
Headaches
Severe Fatigue
Dizziness and offbalance feeling most of the time. (like seeing stars)
Sensitivity to light
Increased floaters (everyday and will not go away)
Depression
Anxiety
Ridged fingernails
Numbness and tingling in all extremeties
Frequent urination (like I have to go now)
Hair Loss from both scalp, eye lids and eyebrows with the slightest pull
Dark urine with foul odor
Raised red bumps on chest, shoulders and outer upper arms
Goosebumps all over when urinating or sitting down to releave myself.

Tests that I have had done thus far:

Blood Testing to include RA and TSH levels for Thyroid problem
MRI w/ contrast of brain
MRI of C-Spine and Lumbar(see page 3 of this post for a descriptive breakdown of the MRI results)
Hormone Blood Test(negative)
Urologist(ultrasound of abdomen area and urine culture which came back negative)

Can these symptoms actually be caused by a severe head injury?

Hopefully someone can relate to my symptoms and help me out. I am so tired going to doctors and them telling me that nothing is wrong. I am now on Prozac to help combat the depression I have feel into since this time.

Last edited by dahlstrom34; 06-22-2007 at 01:44 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to dahlstrom34 For This Useful Post:
bnmagbe (12-12-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: Can head injury cause my problems?

Have you gone to a Neurologist about this? I would recommend it if you haven't already and bring your films and reports with you.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 02-04-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
(male)

dahlstrom34 HB User

Thx pearldoves for your insights.

I have not gone to a neuro but instead went to a rheumy who told me that I have Fibromyalgia (sp?) I am almost 100% positive that I do not have this condition seeing that the main symptoms include these tender points which I have none of.

So you think that a neuro would be the best route? What tests should I recommend that he run to help identify my underlying condition(s)?

Thx again...

Last edited by dahlstrom34; 02-04-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
(male)

avglenn HB User

I can relate to what you are going through. I've had and or continue to have all your described symptoms , except the last 3 you listed. Late in 2003, I was struck in the head with a heavy object. I was wearing hard hat. I wasnt knocked out, but have suffered many symptoms since. A C-spine mri revealed 2 small herniated discs, but had another one done recently & herniation of c5-c6 is much bigger with slight compression. What I found ironic, is you listed ridged finger nails ? Are these like hard grooves going across the nails ? For the life of me , I dont know how I got these. I am awaiting a cervical epideral to see if that will help my neck. Been waiting a loong time w/ Work. comp.My arms also go through spasticity when its real bad, which is just horrible. G/L and I can relate !

Old 02-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
(male)

dahlstrom34 HB User

Thx avglenn for sharing your story.

Your right, the grooves on the fingernails go across. This has been a weird phenonmenon (sp?) with me. I had the C-Spine done and the results were looked at by the onsight doc I beleive which stated nothing was wrong. I think my next step will be to see a neuro and and othho seeing that they specialize more in this area. Fibromyalgia is such a general term that docs nowadays throw around like frisbees. Oh you have pain... well it's Fibro. Here is some SSRI's and call me if you don't feel better. I'm sick of this crap and I want to know some definate answers. You know your body best. And when you know that something is wrong, and the docs tell you "No there's not", then you just bite your tongue and go on.

I just want to have my life back again. I have been active since birth including playing football (12 years), baseball(17 years), Wrestling(2 years), Softball(9 years) and Flag Football(8 years). And I'm only 32 to boot

I need to make an appt tomorrow with a neuro and I'll kept all posted on the outcome(fingers crossed).

Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

It sounds almost like you might have a couple of things going on at the same time. But a Neurologist could get you on track as to what might be going on with you as some of your symptoms sounds like neurological problems. You should bring both the Head and C-Spine films and the reports with you when you see him or her. My question is have you seen your reports? Have you read them? Sometimes docs will not tell you things if they don't think something is serious so as not to worry you, however it doesn't mean that you are not still effected by it - which is why I HATE it when they don't say anything.

Also, you might be interested to know that there has been a neurological connection to Fibromyalgia in which things like cervical spinal cord compression and/or Chiari malformation could be a factor in it. If you have either of these things from the findings in your radiology reports, it might be best to go to a good Neurosurgeon.

The shingles were probably just a coincidence.

I think the things that MIGHT (and I say Might, because these symptoms can very well just be related to another issues as well) be neurologically related are:
Joint Stiffness and Muscle Weakness
Headaches
Severe Fatigue
Dizziness and off balance feeling most of the time. (like seeing stars)
Numbness and tingling in all extremities

The frequent unrination could be related to thyroid, has that been check recently? TSH, T4 and T3 are the common labs for that.

The other problems you are having have me scratching my head a bit and the urine problem has me particularly concerned. Have they done any cultures or tests on your Urine yet? A Urologist might be able to help with that. But part of me is concerned of other possibilities as well which is why I think an Infectious disease doc might be good and even an Oncologist so as to rule out the disease and cancer factors.

Good Luck and many blessings, keep us posted!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
(male)

dahlstrom34 HB User

Hey pearlydoves. Thx for you thoughts and concerns.

I have seen a urologist and gave all the necessary samples with no findings of course.

I have also had my thyroid labs done and everything came back just fine, as expected I guess.

I'm just not quite convinced that a fall that I sustained would leave me to beleive that I have some sort of mysterious disease or the injury had lead to a cancer. These symptoms happened almost instantaniously after the injury. Don't get me all worked up with the thoughts of possible cancer, now. I already have enough anxiety as it is

I think that a trip to a neurologist would be a good place to start I suspect. Didn't have the time today to call but I will be sure to sometime this week. But I will be sure to bring all necessary films along with me.

I do appreciate all of your concerns thus far and inputs as well.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
(female)

bdancer HB User

HI

FYI I had real problems with bladder... the need to urinate would hit me like all of a sudden then I only had about a minute or two before I couldn't hold it anymore... funny thing is that if I consciously thought about something else then urgency and feeling to urinate would go away, but if I was still thinking about it (like I was trying to find the bathroom) then after about a minute I would start to leak (can't believe I am saying this publicly LOL) but this has TOTALLY gone!!!!! since ACDF... I now feel normal sensations and can hold it normally (in fact I tested myself today I held it for 20 minutes after I was starting to feel like I needed to pee) no leaking.... so obviously this was a direct result of the cord compression.. thank God!!! I had one doc tell me it was because I was pre pre menopausal!! do you see what run arounds us women get sometimes... they always blame everything on hormones!!! LOL

Old 03-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
(male)

dahlstrom34 HB User

Can anyone else relate?

My problems have been getting much worse, especially since I stopped my Prozac. Constant cold hands and feet and dizziness being the worst.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
(male)

dahlstrom34 HB User

bump. one last time. Hopefully I can get some answers.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #11
(female)

sbbo97 HB User

Hey there....

I was wondering, did you see your thyroid labs? Or were you just told that they were normal? I would encourage you to get your lab work and look at the results yourself. Your dr's office should be able to fax them to you.

You typically want your TSH to be as close to 1 as possible and your FT3 and FT4 in the upper quadrant of their lab ranges. It is possible to have thyroid problems even with a TSH coming back in the "normal" range. Did they test your Free T3 and Free T4? TSH only gives you 1/3 of the total picture. You need to have the "frees" tested as well.

Did they also test thyroid antibodies? If not, they should test that as well. Some of your symptoms sound like classic thyroid problems, but low iron could also be playing a part.

Good luck... I hope you find out what's going on soon!

sbbo97

Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
(male)

Reg27 HB User

Hey all..

This one mainly for dahlstrom34, this is my first post but I've read your case with great interest.

I was wondering if you've got any further with the problems you've experienced?

I too have suffered the same symptoms as you for 8 years now, I've completely forgotten what 'normal' has felt like. Again I was involved in a accident with my cycle where I also hit my head. About five months later after a terrible bout of flu, here I am left with these symptoms that plague me to this day.

My main complaints are
Fatigue, Tiredness, generally feeling run-over
Eye disturbances, such as slow reaction to whats happening around you
Constant Dull Headache
Problems with concentration, mind fog so to speak
Very tight joints, mainly the neck that feels under pressure, which can be relieved every few seconds by cracking, mainly when the headache is at its peak.

Over my 8 years I've seen two nero's, one private.. undergone 1 CT and 2 MRI scans of the head, a year of chiro but all with negative results. I've been diagnosed twice with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(symptoms are very similar) but I refuse to accept that outcome as I don't intend to live my life like this, the battle must go on!

However I noticed that you have'nt mentioned whether you suffer a rapid heart beat, or one you are always aware off in your list of symptoms? I've also been hit with the bladder problem for over a year now, and slowly a pattern is starting to form.
I've been studying hypertension, unlikely but not to be dismissed in any case(check the symptoms). I'd suggest monitoring your blood pressure over a period of time, a monitor can be purchased for home use, also keep a record of the results.

Its a very long shot, but its my next route to take when I visit the doctor, private now as they seem to take your matter more seriously!! Blood pressure links all of these symptoms, it also would explain why my headaches become worse if I indulge in exercise or a session with my partner.

As for your bladder, have your kidneys tested and post the results, especially if you have a discharge in your urine(also see hypertension and long term damage)

I'm not a doctor so I'm probably way out of my depth here, but something's not working in my body and the more history you have, the closer a solution becomes... apologies to those if I've offended who suffer from ME or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
(male)

dahlstrom34 HB User

Hey there Reg27,

Thanks for chiming in with your issues. I have yet to this day been diagnosed with anything. I went to a Rheumy about 2 weeks ago with the list of symptoms that I had described on here. He did a thorough examination of everything and came to the conclusion that I might need to see a Psychiatrist as my sumptoms sound all to familiarly to PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). His exact words were "your system is like a computer, it needs to get rebooted". This is coming from one of the best doctors here in the Pittsburgh area(UPMC Hospital ranked Top 5 in country). So I will try that route and see where it gets me.

I very seldom get the rapid heartbeat only because of anxious conditions that I am in. If I think about my symptoms so much I start to panic and think that I am going to die.

Actually what happened to me was a traumatic event and I had been on pins and needles even before this incident.

I just hate feeling the way that I do everyday. I hope that the psychiatrist can do something to help. I will be sure to keep you updated.

Also, FYI>>>>> Just to add to the symptoms already listed, I now get raised red bumps on both shoulders and the center of my chest. Might have to go see a derm for that I suspect.

Thanks again, Carl

Old 06-22-2007, 06:30 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wondering if when you had the lab work done if this also included the liver and kidney functions?some of your ongoing symptoms could be indicative of a possible liver/kidney type issue.it wouldn't hurt to get those labs checked and also perhaps an ultrasound to alos get a good "look' at those organs as well.the thing about organ diseases is that there wont be actual changes in any real numbers until the specific type of damage hits some "magic' level.this is the biggest reason alot of people do not even have a clue that they actually have a kidney or liver issue.it just doesn't show itself in the numbers til you hit that certain amount of damage,but by that time,the damage is usually much more extensive.i didn't find out til i was 40(am now 46)years old that i had been suffering from a kidney disease all my life.my numbers were and still are great but looking at my kidneys with ultrasound shows a really ugly mess in there.you may just want to make darn certain that all of those organs are okay.

were you actually knocked out for any actual length of time when you took that hit to your head?you are probably much more likely,given your symptoms,to have suffered a possible neck/c spine injury than any of these symptoms actually stemming from head injury.

i would recommend a trip to your doc for some lab work and referal for an ultrasound and possible urine culture just to make sure you have covered all bases and possibilities.good luck and please keep us posted,Marcia

Old 06-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #15
(male)

dahlstrom34 HB User

Thanks for your inputs Marcia. Just to answer a few questions you had.

I did have lab work done for both kidneys and liver. All came back normal.

I did see a urologist about the urine problem and they took urine samples and did extensive ultrasounds all over my abdomen area which everything came back negative.

The only test that is being flagged on blood testing is that I have High Indirect Bilirubin levels, which I was told to not be alarmed.

I was indeed knocked out for a long period of time and I have been given a C-Spine and Lumbar MRI.

Here are the C-Spine MRI results below. The Lumbar MRI is much, much worse, I think:

Cervical spine and vertebral bodies are normallly aligned . Disc dehydration is seen at C3-C4 and C4-C5 interspaces. Disc space height is well maintained at all cervical interspaces. Prevertebral soft tissues are normal. Craniocervical juction, cervical spinal cord and C1-C2 articulation are all within normal limits.

No focal disc extrusion, cord compression or cervical cord lesion seen at any of the cervical interspaces. Slight uncinate hypertrophy is seen on the right side at C3-C4. Minimal forminal narrowing is seen on the right at C3-C4. C2-C3, C4-C5, C5-C6, C6-C7, and C7-T1 interspaces are all within normal limits.

IMPRESSION:
NO FOCAL DISC INTRUSION SEEN AT ANY OF THE CERVICAL INTERSPACES. NO CORD COMPRESSION SEEN. SLIGHT UNCINATE HYPERTROPHY SEEN WITH MINIMAL FORAMINAL NARROWING AT THE RIGHT SIDE AT C3-C4.

I guess what he basically says that everything is GREAT!! Yeah right

Thanks again for your comments and concerns. I wish you the best of luck.

CARL

Last edited by dahlstrom34; 06-22-2007 at 01:41 PM.

Closed Thread