It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

Florata HB User
Have you changed after Head Injury?

About 8 years ago I banged the crown area of my head and was unconscious for an approx. 10 hour period (I don't remember much other than what I've been told). At the time, the CAT Scan done showed "bruising" and I had temporary paralysis of my right side. I was sent home and told to rest -- It would heal. As I got better, certain things about me changed. I'm now on medication for seizures but a clear epilepsy diagnosis cannot be made. When not on treatment, I have terrible headaches and regular aura experiences termed "Alice in Wonderland" with loss of consciousness/amnesia. Besides this, I have a scar/lesion on my right frontal lobe since childhood that's detected on an MRI but doesn't appear to cause epilepsy. Even though I've had 2 "workups" as medical professionals call it, there's no "evidence" on EEG or CAT Scan to suggest a change in me. Yet, my analytical abilities, speech, and perception is altered -- so is my level of sensitivity to environmental factors like sound and light which trigger events. The medication reduces the sensitivity and events.

Do any of you fall in this category of complexity?

Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Have you changed after Head Injury?

what exactly have they told you about that scar/lesion?anything?alot of congenital types of lesions can be either whats called cavernous hemangioma or arteriovenous malformations,or AVM.i had/have the cavernous hemangioma but this was actually found inside my spinal cord just a few years ago,never even knew i had it til an MRI was done on my c spine to try and determine the severity of a herniated disc i had.big suprise there.have they ever ran whats called an MRA,or recent MRI on your brain to see if there are any sort of vascular malformations such as the ones i mentioned or a possible aneurysm? an AVM would show on an angio or MRA but since a cavernoma is actually venous fed it wouldn't.just getting the MRA and another MRI with contrast(these can all be done at the same time as they all use the standard MRI machine)would either rule in or out any possible vascular issues that can sometimes cause the types of symptoms you have stated.

do you know just exactly what area of your brain was 'bruised" during that head/brain injury?what was the mechanism of the actual injury?if you actually have some sort of a lesion within the frontal lobe,this could most definitely affect your cognative abilities.my son had a brain bleed in his frontal and it really seriously affected his memory and decision making capabilities there for a while.he still(about two years post injury?)has some level of impairment but it is no where near what it was shortly after the accident.depending on just what this was(the lesion?) it could have somehow 'activated' in some way because of the blow to your head,doyou know what i mean?it could be triggering something.as far as the siezures and other freaky stuff,well not everything will actually show up on any given MRI,that much i DO know.believe me,i have had around 16 MRIs done just within the past few years and there are tons of discrepencies between some of them where big things were just totally missed by the interpretting rad.any MRI report is only as good as the rad who is reading it,no more no less.sad but true.things get missed all the time and some things,because of other structures just being in the way at certain angles,will not show at all.

there is another type of actual MRI they can do called a 3 T or 3 tesla scan which uses three times the magnestism of the normal MRI which if i remeber right is only like 1.5 tesla.these machines tho are kind of rare so you would need to find the closest one.most larger radiology places that only do radiology and other scans would probably be your best bet.just a suggestion.

what types of docs have you seen or are you seeing right now?what did they tell you about the temporary paralysis? thats kind of uncommon with just a bruising type of brain injury.how is that arm now?how does your c spine look,did they happen to do an actual MRI on that not just a CT?when was that MRI done that detected that scar/lesion thing?If you could just answer the questions i have asked it would help me to get a bit clearer picture of what you are actually dealing with and what has and has not been thoroughly evaluated.marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 02-15-2007 at 06:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread