It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2003, 08:52 PM   #1

Lynn17 HB User
Post headache question and old head injury

Hi All,
I have headaches frequently (3-5 a week, sometimes more). I have high blood pressure and am on Propranonol which hasn't helped the headaches. I was diagnosed with TMJ in August and am now wearing a splint which is helping. I was having headaches almost 24/7 for over a year. This is all due to a car accident in which I suffered whiplash.
My question is whether a concussion from early childhood could have anything to do with the headaches. I tend to think not, but my parents are wondering. I am asking the doctor next time I go. But in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had some answers or thoughts about that.

Lynn

Old 01-10-2003, 09:32 PM   #2

BigTex HB User
You may be experiencing Cervicogenic Tension headaches due to your whiplash injury. The nerves in the neck could be causing the muscles on your skull to spasm and thus cause the headaches. Does massage of your head, neck and shoulders give temporary relief? If so, the problem may be rooted in damage to your cervical spine. You may want to see a neurologist and have an MRI of your head and neck performed. You may have straightening of the c-spine which would cause the spasms and headaches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
littlesheep1999

Question

only the doctor can really say yes or no..

------------------
donna

Old 01-11-2003, 11:49 AM   #4
littlesheep1999

Wink

do let us know though

------------------
donna

Old 01-11-2003, 04:59 PM   #5

Lynn17 HB User
Thanks for the replies. Actually, massage does help. I was going to a Chiropractor and it was helping, but I decided I didn't want to get to the point I had to go get my neck put back in place to feel ok. There is an area by my left shoulder blade that is apparently (according to everyone who gives me a massage)tense all the time. And the headache will lessen or go away.

Lynn

Old 01-12-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
littlesheep1999

Wink

weird how shoulder and neck muscles can cause headaches? if you are female i would put it down to period time.. i feel terrible aroand that time of mnth even if i dont come on my period as they are always irregular but i still get the symptoms of it.. i am sure meds such as diazipam will relax your muscles..

------------------
donna

Old 02-01-2003, 07:56 AM   #7

Lynn17 HB User
Hi All,
I have another question about the headaches. I used to have severe allergies to all dairy products and flour. Any chance that the headaches could be caused by food allergies? Do any of you know anyone who has headaches due to food allergies?

Lynn

Old 02-01-2003, 06:06 PM   #8

rsh13813 HB User
Yes a lot of people have headaches that are triggered by certain foods. Try to remember what food you eat right before you get a headache. Cheese, certain alcohol drinks, nuts and some other food triggers some of my headaches.

Old 02-01-2003, 10:31 PM   #9
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Regarding whether the headaches could be related to a concussion as a child..................I too have wondered about that as hubby has had headaches 24/7 for "as long as he can remember" as he puts it. He too fell off a bicycle over the handle bars and was "unconcious" for a bit as he remembers. He got himself up and went home and was never checked out but that story has always nagged at me making me wonder if that might not be when his headaches started.

Old 02-02-2003, 10:19 AM   #10

Lynn17 HB User
Thanks for all of the replies. They have given me more ideas and questions to ask the doctor. I had the concussion as a young child around ages 7-8. I am now 25 and the daily headaches started in summer of 2001, two years after the car accident.
As a child, I also had severe allergies to all dairy and flour. I am wondering if the headaches are being caused by the food I eat. I mentioned the food allergies to the doctor and she didn't think that would be why I have headaches, but she doesn't realize how severe they used to be.
I also wonder if the headaches are caused by the tension I have in my back. I cannot afford expensive blood work and CAT scans. I am thinking of going to a massage therapist next.

Lynn

Closed Thread