It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

laa814 HB User
head injury and fever

My son was in a bicycle accident 5 days ago. He has a large subgeleal hematoma an subcarinal hemorrhage over the left calvarium. Is that a concussion? They said he has a concussion and mentioned these 2 things, but have not explained what we should be watching for. He is extremely sleepy, irritable, staring off. Went to the spine doctor today to find out about his compression fractures but nothing was said about the head. When we got home, he started with chills and has a 100 degree temperature. Is this something I should worry about and can you explain the hematomas?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: head injury and fever

Not sure about the subgeleal hematoma (could not find anything on it) but I do know that a sub-cranial hemorrhage means that there is some bleeding under the skull. A hematoma in general is a collection of blood caused from a damaged blood vessel.

When watching over concussion patients, watch to see if he develops dizziness, blurred vision or vomiting, or if he loses consciousness and cannot be awakened, get him into emergency. This is a simple test you can do yourself if his drowsiness gets extreme. Take a pen light flash light and hold it onto one eye at a time. Watch the pupil for size. Then move the flash light away and see if the pupil dilates. If his pupil stays the same size, call the emergency room that saw him.

Best of luck and my heart goes out to you.

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i personally am wondering just why he is not being monitored in an actual hospital, that IS a brain bleed and pressure there afterall. i would imagine that concussion happened just becasue of the extent of the brain damage that is present right now. the brain getting slammed back and forth in the skull,against the inner walls is what casues the concussion part. but he does also appear to have other pretty significant things going on there too. i really am kind of shocked that they released him and he is not having the docs come to HIM at a good rehab type hospital. is his overall behavior actually really what you as his parent and knowing how you do,really appear to be 'normal'?

the issues he has are casueing at least some level of swelling in there that just really needs monitoring by actual professionals and not parents,you know what i mean? it is kind of normal for head injury patients to become aggitated and aggressive and just very easily ****** off over little things. there ARE signs of head/brain injury,but he SHOULD NOT be displaying them now if they actually released him this soon. i seriously would take him back to that ER if his behavior is abnormal right now. the raise in temp 'could' possibly be due in part to what areas of the brain were affected. the hypothalamus is what partially governs our overall body temps. do you know the full extent of his spinal damage? i am just kind of shocked here that he is not actually in the hospital getting all of this stuff monitored and evaluated there. there just can be complications when the brain and the spine have been injured. how long did he actually stay IN the hospital at all from when the occured? it just really sems way too soon for him to be dischanrged given the level and mechanism of his injuries, espescially along with spinal fracures too?

for them to send him home and not actually fully explain the level of his injuries to you or even just what to watch for in brain/head injury patients just really seems almost negligent here really. have you at least spoken to his primary doc about this and maybe even ask him about getting him back into the hospital. at the very least here,have his own doc/ped do a full eval on him and then let him or her decide what to do. i just personally would not feel comfortable at all dealing with this at home hon. my son suffered a frontal lobe brain bleed along with double skull fracture and a three week long coma and was in the hospital for about 22 days. an actual coma does not always mean a person is out cold. it happens at varying levels with some almost fully awake but the brain is still technically 'in' coma. i was an medic/ff for fourteen years as well as having my sons and my own brain injury crap to deal with and i just cannot fathom why they would have released your son so soon with his level of injuries still very much present/symptomatic there. he "could' possibly also have an unstable spine as well if they did not fully disclose everything to you his parents.

you also NEED to actually know the full extent of the spinal fractures and any other possible damage that took place there too(his actual spinal cord could just be somewhat compromised too). this just doesn't "feel" like a good situation to have your child home in to me,thats all.

one thing i would definitely do right now and that is just find out what he really does need given the injuries,for CERTAIN. also obtain his hospital records since you DO need to know for now and for the future as well just what the full extent of his injuries were and are since there could be other issues that can pop up in the future for him. just obtain the records.

i don;t mean to scare you here or anything,but this situation just doesn't "sound' right to me at all given the level of injuries he currently has. if he does not appear "normal' in his overall normal,i would get him back to that hosptal or a childrens hospital or trauma center(they can evaluate much better at these types of hospitals) where he can be re evaluated and just made sure that his treatment has been appropriate for the level of injuries. and YOU can be appropriately told what to do and watch for. but i really do think he was released way too soon. hope all goes well for you. please keep us posted. FB

Old 06-21-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
(female)

laa814 HB User

Thank you both for answering. I ended up taking him back to the ER where we finally got some answers. They ruled out infection, and additional bleeding. They also explained that the wedge fractures are stable fractures and the chip on the c-7 is also stable. His hematoma is very small inside the brain, but gigantic on the outside of the skull, which as nasty as it looks, is also not emergent - Thank God!! However, they were appalled that the Hospital that we took him to out of town, discharged him without transferring him to a local hospital or at the very least made sure he had an appointment with a neuorsurgeon within a day or two near our home. So, needless to say we are seeing a neurosurgeon next week. We are so lucky!!! Thank you both again!

Old 06-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

so,did THIS hospital release him back to you again or is he still there? at least you DID DO the right thing in having him re evaluated. that other hospital was just sooo wrong in releasing him when they did,honestly. what your son really needs from you right now is what you are already doing for him,just advocating and making darn sure everthing and everyone who is treating him is just doing their jobs right. but you DO really NEED to get all his hospital records and test results from that first hospital and also the eval from the newer one. you just need to have this info in YOUR possession. it would simply detail more the extent of injuries and what his initial issues were. these could be needed in the future as well. believe me,it is much easier with less pressure to get this stuff together now vs having to obtain it for some reason when you really really NEED it. you just buy an expanding type folder thing and place eevrything in there and bring this to all appts he has. believe me,it is just a really helpful and very handy thing to have when seeing any new docs or if god forbid,he needs another ER visit. been there done that ya know?

there also appears to be a big problem with some places not actually getting the right stuff(medical records) transferred to other docs you may have to see now and in the future. just having all of his stuff there with you just allows for a non wasted type visit when records are not there when you need them to be. just reach into that folder and let them make a COPY of yours with you getting YOUR copy back. never ever give up your own records to any doc,ever. this really does help alot or believe me,i wouldn;t be telling you to do this right now. it just helps to keep on top of all things right now too. also make certain to start getting all medicalrecords from any doc you see in the future or have seen already, its just a phone call to any place you need records from,they send out a release for you to sign and send back then they just come in the mail like within usually about one week or so? the releases are good for one year so after that initial release gets signed,all you have to do over this next year is call when you need to update the records,and they will automatically send them out to you again. then you sign a new one in about a year again.

your son also will possibly need these records for the future for many different reasons. it would be much harder to actually obtain them like ten years from now vs doing it now,you know what i mean?

i do hope things continue to get better for him. just be there and do some butt kicking with the medical world when you have to. sometimes as a parent,you have to step in to just get your childs needs met. please keep me posted on all things,K? FB

Closed Thread