It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

divadebi HB User
Friend In Icu With Multiple Seizures No Head Injury - Blood Clots

Hi hope this is the correct forum for this post. A friend of mine recently was hospitalized with seizure. He never had any history of the problem. Occurred while sitting at computer. No head injury. Had CT and MRI showed nothing. He has been in hospital for over a month and they can't find anything. MAYO - Now he has complication of blood clots all over his body from laying flat for so long. This sounds like he might have been given tM or something for stroke at hospital and had bad reaction. Not sure of medication history, but doctors are puzzled. One clot is in left leg and his leg is swollen twice the size. Very serious scary. He is 29 years old. Hispanic. Anyone have any clues. Are they missing something with brain scan????

Send him an angel.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Re: Friend In Icu With Multiple Seizures No Head Injury - Blood Clots

Debi sorry to hear about your friend. Has he had a seizure since he has been hospitalized. Has a neurologist visited him yet? He needs to get an EEG test done? this test measures and records the electrical activity of your brain. Special sensors (electrodes) are attached to your head and hooked by wires to a computer. The computer records your brain's electrical activity on the screen or on paper as wavy lines. People with seizure disorder, can be seen by the changes in the normal pattern of the brain's electrical activity. Make sure a neurologist see him, and in regards to the blood cloths blood thinner is the best thing for now until they can desolve them, he should walk and move around as much as the nursing staff allow him to, this will also help blood circulate better. I hope he feels better and keep us posted.
Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

divadebi HB User

Thank you Laura. Yes he has had EEG and has been moved to another hospital. He was seen by neuro also. He had several seizures while in the hospital as well. I can't imagine why they are not getting him to ambulate unless he is unconscious, but I haven't heard since last week. Does this sound like encephalitis? Sp? My nephew had that and he had symptomology of headache and fever. Not sure if this man has high fever. Good friend of mine died from mosquito bite. Scary. I really appreciate your feedback. God Bless. Deborah

Old 06-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Deb Im couldnt tell you if there was something that could of caused encephalitis, but I think they should do a CAT to check his brain and see what other things are causing his spells. I dont c why he's not ambulating yet aside from having the seizures, it's good for the circulation. Speak to the doctors again and have them do more indept blood test and cat scans/MRI for his head. Best of luck

Closed Thread