It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

gabby1944 HB User
Head Injury & Hypothyroid

If a head injury caused a problem with my pituitary or hypothalamus gland what can be done to fix it? I had a fall off a curb on my mobility scooter striking my head on the pavement 16 months ago and had a CT scan 2 weeks later that showed no damage, could this be the reason for some of my strange labs and hypo symptoms? Could damage show up this long after the accident and the CT scan was done?

TSH: .20 normal .34 - 5.60
FT4 0.77 normal 0.6 - 1.6
FT3 3.2 normal 2.4 - 4.2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Head Injury & Hypothyroid

I don't know if your pituitary or hypothalamus are the reasons here but your FT3 and FT4 are sub optimal and you need hormone replacement. Your TSH is low and that does point to a lack of it from the pituitary in this case. If I were you I'd go for an MRI just to take a closer look.

I think that even if there was damage to these areas you still need to replace the hormones your thyroid isn't putting out. Otherwise you'll be hypo and hypo=unhealthy. Are you experiencing hypo symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

gabby1944 HB User

Yes, I have almost all of the hypo symptoms and have had them even before the accident. I'm sorry I didn't insist on having my blood work done 3 years ago instead of waiting so long.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Make sure you tell your doc that you have hypo symptoms and want treatment despite your low TSH. Some docs use TSH as the holy grail of treatment and patients suffer as a result. You want thyroid hormone replacement titrated up to the relief of symptoms (with hopefully your FT3 at the very top of range and FT4 in the top third of range). Forgetabout the TSH.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I think Stress and trauma to the body can cause many things. A bee sting can cause Hashimoto's or any allergic reaction. Skin cancer can begin with a trauma to the skin. There are so many unknowns anymore.

I also had a head injury 6 years ago from a rollover car accident. Rolled an SUV 3 times and airbags did not open. Put the windshield out with my face.
Your accident may have caused it or it may have been there and surfaced around the same time. The important thing is to get it corrected and be watched.

We all search for reason when we have Thyroid problems. I have had known thyroid issues for over 3 years. I have recently found out I have Celiacs which can go along with Hashimotos. So you learn many things as you go along.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oleander
Hashimoto's and multinodular goiter 06
Insulin resistance 08
Milk Allergy 08
SCC and BCC skin cancers 09
Celiac disease and gluten intolerance 09

Closed Thread