It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
(female)

attack123 HB User
Head Injury Schizophrenia and Autism?

My son/'s behavior suddenly changed at age eight just three days after a violent blow to the head which went undiagnosed and untreated for many years He would have fits of rage and violence followed by being awake, but non responsive-his eyes glazed, dilated and vacant. His siblings did not tell me about the accident. They were afraid of getting in trouble. He spent ten years in and out of mental hospitals. He had several of the classic signs of head injury all along, but without the knowledge of this event, doctors were set up for failure. His symptoms of head injury included having one eye higher/larger than the other. They were misaligned to each other. He could not make eye contact as he had a hard time lifting his eyes without great effort. He became light sensitive. He would hold up objects to one eye. He complained of "seeing two of his brother playing on both sides of the street at the same time" These symptoms were later called "Dysconjugate Gaze" and Diplopia or "Double Vision" by his neurologists once he was properly diagnosed and the truth of the brain injury was addressed. He also would say that he was "on reality tv" or "in an alternate reality" That we were not real, that we were "robots" This symptom is called Capgras Syndrome and is a classic sign of frontal lobe brain injury. He also complained of hearing ghosts-later discovered that this was part of a complex partial seizure disorder. Since I have begun sharing this, I have heard from parents of many with Schizophrenia as well as Autism whose symptoms had a sudden onset. They have shared that these symptoms came about soon after a traumatic brain injury.
What can I do to help prevent this tragedy from happening to other families?
Has anyone you know who was diagnosed with Schizophrenia or Autism ever in an accident in which they hit their head? Please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread