It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2002, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

MelNor HB User
Head Injury and Depression

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone who is depressed has ever suffered from a head injury of any type in the past? My father suffered from a head injury and became depressed shortly after. Others I have spoken to also had suffered from head injuries and later depression set in. I am just curious if there might be a link there.

Take care...mostly for yourself!

Old 07-28-2002, 10:08 PM   #2

effexorjunkie HB User
Re: Head Injury and Depression

My mom had major head trauma due to a car accident many years ago. Her behaviour did indeed change. She is not exactly the same person, is very moody and emotional but along with that is also some of the goofiness she passed to me.
Epilepsy is what they thought she would develop but fortunately is not the case. I guess it depends on what part of the brain is injured and how severly.
She lost her sense of smell as well.
Maybe some post trauma occurrences are influencing Dad, one never knows how they will react when faced with a dilemma such as this.
Sorry for the typos! I had to take some muscle relaxers and am rather loopy, it's a wonder I am not telling everyone "I love you man,I really love you..LOL"
Oh, heck, I do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2002, 04:51 PM   #3

effexorjunkie HB User

Believe it or not Chrys, you and Za and Cat motivated me from day one and the others here just sucked my heart the rest of the way in LOL!
I can't imagine where I would be if I hadn't stumbled across this board. I am a better person because of it.

Old 07-29-2002, 05:36 PM   #4
Inactive

nlathers HB User

MelNor,
You might be interested in this: someone whose alias I can't remember posted a topic a week or two ago on this board, try doing a search on 'depersonalization'
or 'look inside your head', one of those should bring it up. I don't remember if the person specifically suffered an injury per se, but he/she did mention the sudden onset of a 'stoned' feeling a few years ago, which I thought might be of some relationship to what you are seeking, because that person ended up being prescribed antidepressants for what sounded like it might have actually been a neurological condition.
In fact not that I am a Dr., but I did post a reply to the person mentioning that the antidepressants may be partially masking the actual problem, via serotinergic effects. He/she was still experiencing symptoms. Anyway I asked in my reply if the person had felt 'blue' or sad along with the stoned feeling, but by then it was too late (the person did not respond to my reply). It seems he/she had decided to go down the path of some sort of 'depersonalization'
issue. --NL

Closed Thread