It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
(male)

TheTallGuy90 HB User
The life of Concussion boy.. By TheTallguy90

Hey everyone, so heres the deal. Im 20 years old, starting to be borderline overweight, attempting to go back to school. Im 285 pounds and about 6'6. Ive had 7 concussions in my life. The first was when I was 6 years old, Brother punched me and my head bounced off the headboard. I never had any problems with it again till my freshmen year of high school. From my freshmen year of HS threw my Freshmen college year I had 6 more concussions. These are the ones I went to the doctors for, my doctors and I have suspected that could have had more minor ( or so called ) in practice.

I have been dealing with chronic pain for the last 6 years of my life. Headaches and migraines have become everyday occurrences. I have Extreme light sensitivity, my balance is off, and of course the general overall pain. Stress and other normal factors just make it worse. I have had HORRIBLE sleeping problems, Cant fall asleep.. once I do fall asleep i find it almost impossible to wake up.

What I have been trying to do to help it. I recently moved away from home for the 2nd time, first was for school when I was going to play Football at a Division 1A school, the 2nd time was to the D.C area. This was to get away from an extremely stressful Family life, where I was working full time and taking care of three children. Life was hell. When I moved to Washington dc I started working 50 to 60 hour weeks at an afternoon night shift job. I gained about 35 pounds, and ended up in worse shape then I was before. My internal health has gone worse as well, blood pressure and cholesterol have both shot up.

Looking for help..
Im tired of life being a living hell. It hurts to wake up in the morning and I can never fall asleep. My eyes hurt, I have either a headache or a Migraine. This has all become the mundane. I live with it and just push on threw my day. I dive into my work and try to forget about everything that is going on. More and more I am having extra pains, From inside my head. They hurt like nothing else. Its a shooting, stabbing pain from deep inside shooting to the outside. When I move quickly, hear something loud, or bright light I am greeted by my newest nemesis. My life is spiraling into do a depression, very painful and dark.

Does anyone know how I feel? I just want to talk, I feel that would help. Im not looking for a miracle... I just want to feel better..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Re: The life of Concussion boy.. By TheTallguy90

Hi there, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I finally went to a good neuropsyche for testing to find out what areas were damaged from repeated head injuries and how to address each area. It helped me tremendously to have proof of injuries and a way to deal with them. It has taken me 3 years since my last injury, but I am doing a lot better with memory and cognitive problems than I was. I also see a neurologist to help me with the pain and nerve problems. If you have not tried either of these options, I would suggest them! Hang in there!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
(female)

adewilson HB User
Re: The life of Concussion boy.. By TheTallguy90

Dear Tallguy:
My 10 year old son suffered a head injury when he was just a baby. He did not lose consciousness or showed any serious problems. In the last two years, he has been suffering from frequent, nasty migraines preceded by a wave of nause, extreme sensitive to light, the daily stress of school gets to him. He is a brave little guy and a great student. The last MRI scan does not show any abnormalities. The doctor recommended prescribed pain killers. At this point, he is only taking tylenol. I am working on teaching him hown to identify the triggering factors that lead to the migraines and he is learning to monitor his reactions to stress. The doctor strongly recommended yoga. It is funny becasue we have been doing some yoga informally at home and I felt it was working.
Here is my recommendation to you:
1. See a neurologist: Nothing else matters more than your health. You can enjoy life, work or anything else without health. Take charge. Perhaps your pain may be managed with a prescribed drug.
2. Change your lifestyle: Exercise. Start with swiming is easy on the joints or walk, run, ride your bike but stick with 30-45 minutes daily physical activity. It will help boost your mood and manage the pain. The first weeks your muscles will be so sore with the exercise that you may not even notice your chronic pain.
Good luck !

Closed Thread