It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

notafan HB User
Unhappy Concussion/Brain Scarring - Worried Sick!

Hi everyone,
I have a question. I was assaulted in 2005 and landed on the back of my head in a parking lot, and sustained a concussion from the incident. Iíve never had any other kind of head trauma. About 8 years ago, there was a Ďcystí located around the brain that I was following up on with an MRI in April of this year, and it was found to be normal. What was also found on the MRI, however, was ďbrain scarringĒ according to my neurologist. He stated it had to be a major blow if it showed on an MRI and said there might have even been bleeding on the brain. Since hearing this, Iíve been driving myself nuts.

My dad is going through Alzheimerís disease right now at a younger than normal age, and my grandpa had it in his 70ís. Iím fearful this brain injury could make me more prone to such a thing, and Iím also curious about what exactly this means. I have no symptoms from the incident that I know of, and from what I have heard am very lucky for that. My questions would be first if this might make me more prone to something later down the road, such as Alzheimerís (I believe a stroke can do this, but Iím not sure about the scarring). I know this might be hard to predict Ė impossible actually; Iíve just read a lot about a brain injury/Alzheimerís link.

My second question would be what type of doctor would be best to sit down with and discuss this further? My neurologist doesnít seem too concerned about it Ė he stated itís like a dent in a car. It gets you to where you need to be, and you can see it, but it doesnít affect you. He seems to have no interest in elaborating any more than that, and I donítí see a reason why I should be worrying when I have doctors out there who could be giving me the answers. Am I worrying over nothing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User
Re: Concussion/Brain Scarring - Worried Sick!

Your concerns are reasonable, but the most commonly accepted current wisdom is that Alzheimer's is not appreciably accelerated, induced, or otherwise precipitated by physical trauma unless the formation of plaques has already begun to the extent that they are evident in an MRI. Of course, medical science changes rapidly, but for the moment it seems reasonable to be vigilant in watching for signs of early-onset dementia, but not overly concerned. Your neurologist seems to be taking the same approach, so you can probably relax a bit and not worry yourself sick. Eat well, exercise, and try to fill your life with positive influences. In other words, don't sweat the small stuff (and so much of what we worry about these days really IS just "small stuff." I wish you well!

The Following User Says Thank You to jverive For This Useful Post:
notafan (04-03-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
(male)

Dan1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a question. I was assaulted in 2005 and landed on the back of my head in a parking lot, and sustained a concussion from the incident. Iíve never had any other kind of head trauma. About 8 years ago, there was a Ďcystí located around the brain that I was following up on with an MRI in April of this year, and it was found to be normal. What was also found on the MRI, however, was ďbrain scarringĒ according to my neurologist. He stated it had to be a major blow if it showed on an MRI and said there might have even been bleeding on the brain. Since hearing this, Iíve been driving myself nuts.

My dad is going through Alzheimerís disease right now at a younger than normal age, and my grandpa had it in his 70ís. Iím fearful this brain injury could make me more prone to such a thing, and Iím also curious about what exactly this means. I have no symptoms from the incident that I know of, and from what I have heard am very lucky for that. My questions would be first if this might make me more prone to something later down the road, such as Alzheimerís (I believe a stroke can do this, but Iím not sure about the scarring). I know this might be hard to predict Ė impossible actually; Iíve just read a lot about a brain injury/Alzheimerís link.

My second question would be what type of doctor would be best to sit down with and discuss this further? My neurologist doesnít seem too concerned about it Ė he stated itís like a dent in a car. It gets you to where you need to be, and you can see it, but it doesnít affect you. He seems to have no interest in elaborating any more than that, and I donítí see a reason why I should be worrying when I have doctors out there who could be giving me the answers. Am I worrying over nothing?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
(male)

Dan1 HB User

Hi, I'm not sure where you live, I however live in Canada and I have Epilepsy.

The best doctor in the world is Dr. Andre Olivier. He is the:

Chair - Neurosurgeon-in-Chief
Neurosurgery, MUHC Department of
Neurology and Neurosurgery, Department of
MONTREAL NEUROLOGICAL Institute & Hospital
Telephone:
(514) 398-1938

Scanning? it's nothing at all. You lye down and let the machine take lots of pictures. I live in Toronto, Ontario and there is a Excellent one at St. Mikes Hospital.

I hopes this helps? Good luck

Dan

The Following User Says Thank You to Dan1 For This Useful Post:
notafan (04-03-2011)
Closed Thread