It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

mckena HB User
Normal MRI, can you still have a head injury

I had a bike accident - actually did not see a car coming and we collided. I flipped my bike, went over the handlebars and landed right cheek down on the pavement. I was unconcious for several minutes, had a seizure, and when I came to, I couldn't hear for a while or talk. My hearing returned after a few minutes and shortly thereafter I could talk in short phrases. Ambulance carried me to ER - Dr. there said no head injury because my MRI was clear (no hematoma or abnormality noticed). I had severe eye trauma, broke right cheekbone in 3 places, and lots of stitches in face the next day by a plastic surgeon. (Basically, the hospital didn't want to touch my face...didn't even clean it up) Since then, I have a mild cognitive delay as documented twice by Duke University, suffered with a seizure disorder for 2 years, have headaches often, and cannot focus on details like I used to be able to. I'm also extremely forgetful. What constitues a head injury and how is it documented? My neurologist says I have post concussive syndrome. I am on long term disability but have been turned down for Social Security. Please can anyone help me? If you could also help me with how to increase my chances of getting SS, let me hear from you! I am now to the hearing stage (final and last attempt) and I have an attorney... however, I had the attorney when I got turned down. Thanks so much! mckena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: Normal MRI, can you still have a head injury

The advice I was given was to make sure you have a doctor that firmly believes you are disabled, and an attorney that specializes in disability cases. Also, if you have any family or friends that can testify to your disability, such as somebody living with you, or you have alot of contact with, this helps too. The main thing that hurt my case is I did not have an attorney that specialized in disability, I may as well have been sitting there by myself. I also found out the judge you have makes a huge difference. Some are known to turn everybody down, where others can see a person is obviously disabled and approves them. You do not see the same judge at the next hearing, so maybe this one will go better. Hopefully some others can give you more helpfull information, this is all I can think of.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kasey443:
mckena (01-10-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasey443 For This Useful Post:
mckena (01-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

I also forgot to tell you that SSDI does not look at the name of the problem a person has, but how it affects that person in their daily living. For example, one person could have bulging disks in their back, and have no symptoms, where the next person could have bulging disks, and be in daily pain, have trouble sitting or standing long, have to take pain meds. etc. So SSDI looks more at how it affects you in every day life, all day long, doing normal things, such as does it affect your sleep, does it affect your paying bills, going to the grocery store, cleaning the house, driving a car, anything you do on a daily basis. They also look at pain as a major symptom, because pain does affect a person ability to concentrate, and if they have to take pain meds., those many times have side affects, they look at the side affects of the meds. If you have the records of all the testing done on you, a doctor that backs you up, witnesses, and an attorney that specializes in disability, I think you would have a pretty good chance. BTW, they also look at your age. Good luck and I hope others can give you more info.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kasey443:
mckena (01-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
(female)

mckena HB User

You are amazing! You've helped me more than you could realize and I truly appreciate your taking the time to help me. You've also given me encouragement, which is greatly needed! Thank you again, Kasey and I hope we can talk again! mckena

Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are welcome!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

What helped me the most was going to a neuro psyche that specializes in brain injury mainly and got tested to find what areas of my brain were impaired. MRIs, cat scans, etc.... never showed the actual damage, but the testing the neuro psyche did! It is what clinched my getting approved for disability.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
(female)

mckena HB User

Thanks, Mim!
I appreciate your help! Is it common to get long term disability but not Social Security? I have 2 neuropsyche reports revealing a cognitive delay as well as a processing disorder and very slow in doing tasks. SSDI says they realize I can no longer teach school, but there is some sort of job I can do - for example, taking tickets at the movie theater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. Can you believe it? mckena

Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was a teacher also. I went on long bterm dis. and then applied for ss. I got it on the 2nd try a total of 2 1/2 yrs. There are no jobs available that are even close to our skill set that can support us at the minimal level. They say all kinds of ridiculous things to discourage you from applying. Go ahead and apply if the docs tell you there is no long term improvement that you can expect within a year's time. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
(female)

mckena HB User

Thanks so much for youe encouragement! I've applied. been turned down twice - they say they realize I can't teach school but that I can do something else such as taking tickets at the movie theater. Can you believe that? Now I am waiting to have a hearing before a judge. Hopefully that will be my lucky day. I feel robbed of my retirement and my last 6 years.... but I absolutely cannot do it anymore. I have now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and lupus. The main thing is my brain just doesn't work like it did before my accident.mckena

Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh boy, yes I can believe it, but realize they are trying to get you to quit the process. If you go before the federal judge, he will deem that you cannot perform in your former career or be able to make the income to support yourself in another. That is the key to getting disability, not being able to sell movie tickets to make a living as that is impossible. You need to apply directly to your state pension/insurance fund for disability as that is separate and much easier to get. In SC, if you are unable to teach anymore and fill out the paperwork and provide doctor statements then you are awarded early retirement/disability for life. I had to redo paperwork at the 2 year period, but no more since. I did that and was able to keep my insurance and get my retirement. It kept me going until I got a favorable decision. I pray that when you go before the judge you be blessed like I was. He told me before I even left that it was favorable (which is unusual) and apologized for my being jerked around so much by the state and federal. He was very aware of fibromyalgia and was interested in how that affected me. I believe he must have experienced it with someone close to him b/c he did state w/the brain, spinal damage, and fibro I should never had to go beyond the first application for disability. Keep me informed, I hate to see people taken advantage of by the system! It is there for a reason, but they are so dang hard headed about who they approve, why, and when! Hugs!!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
(female)

mckena HB User

Thanks so much mim... any encouragement is appreciated. I want to just bash the whole system, but I have got to hold on to hope with the judge. You have given me that hope and I appreciate your caring. I will let you know how it goes. mckena

Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
(female)

Emly HB User

Kasey you have supplied a very useful information.I have got a lot from here..Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thankyou for that. I am glad to hear others can benefit. Even if this is not the source, it's knowledge everybody can use for future use or to help others.

Closed Thread