It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
(male)

slick 2 HB User
subdural Hematoma symptoms getting worse

I fell on snow and ice about two years ago and hit my head resulting in a subdural hematoma. Surgery was performed to drain the blood from the brain by a neurologist surgeon. I was in "rehab" for 2 months. After that I felt pretty good. But during the next year I started feeling worse with symptoms like trouble walking, talking, thinking, lightheadedness, weight loss, possible heart problems, etc. - all directly related to the fall.

Before the accident, I had never been sick nor had even a headache. I was very healthy. Now, although doctors tell me their is nothing wrong with me physically, I feel worse than ever.

Who should I see and what should I do?

Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Re: subdural Hematoma symptoms getting worse

Hi, I am sorry to hear you are developing problems from your head injury. I would suggest an MRI if a recent one has not been done to see if there new damage that may have begun to show. The bleeding may have stopped in the brain and you began to improve, but that did not mean you were not left with damage. There have been a few studies showing the correlation b/t brain injury and dementia, arthritis, spinal injury, etc.. Our brains appear healed on imaging tests, but there is no test to show the cellular damage on a small scale that occurred when the brain slammed back and forth inside your skull. I have tried to explain to people that I might talk ok after I first wake up, but after going through my day I sometimes slur words or drop ending sounds due to damage that shows more apparently now than when I was first injured. I describe how my brain is now, to eggs that are cracked and scrambled. My brain is still there, but scrambled...lol. I would also suggest testing by a neuropsychologist/neuropsychiatrist to pinpoint where in the brain the problems are originating and testing should be able to assist in differentiating between brain injury or something else causing your newer problems. Good luck!

Last edited by mim; 02-26-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
(male)

jon1960 HB User
Re: subdural Hematoma symptoms getting worse

i had the samething three years ago and i checked out of the hospital , going againist my doc. after about a month , i started to forget were i lived when i was driveing. this went on for around four or five months and i done forget how many times it was done but i would find myself miles from home and sometimes it would be just a few blocks from home before it came back in my mind were i lived. i forget alot of things still. i hope ya can find a doc to make you feel better

Closed Thread