It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

Cecelia117 HB User
brain injury due to violence

Hi everyone! just wondering if anyone here is a family member, or a victim themselves, of a traumatic brain injury due to violence. My husband was assaulted last sat. and I was there during what happened. Just looking for support because I am having trouble dealing with the actual event, and what my husband's brain injury.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Re: brain injury due to violence

I have received several concussions over the years when I used to be athletic and very active. In 2005 I suffered a head and neck injury in an accident at work. I was assaulted 3 years ago which resulted in another moderate tbi. The trauma of the assault led to pstd symptoms, but I have gotten much better since the 2007 assault. The worst thing for me was that I was starting to get a grasp on myself from the 05 main head injury when the assault occurred. It set me back over a year's worth of progress and esteem that I had been working so hard at. I find that I sit with my back against a wall whenever I go out to eat, or am in places I am not familiar or comfortable with. I do have nightmares periodically, still. I am sorry your husband was a victim of violent crime. It affects everyone around you when it happens, so I can understand your desire to know more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Cecilia,

I am terribly sorry for the horrible incident that left your husband with a brain injury.

Although my brain injury was due to stroke, rather than violent injury, both are brain injury, and both change your life in an instant.

I am almost 8 years beyond my 4 strokes, which I had at only 43 years old. The brain in amazing in it's great desire to repair itself, which begins immediately. It is a slow process, because it has to repair blood passages, sensory connections, and then comes the process of re-learning what has been lost.

Sleep is a time when the body does a great majority of this healing, so you will notice he sleeps a lot. That is good for him. Is he conscious? If he is not yet, he can likely still hear you, so keep the conversation near him about nothing you don't want him to hear.

What is his condition now? What are his injuries?

You need to take very good care of yourself right now, as you have been through a terrible ordeal. I hope you have the support of family and friends at this time, as they will be invaluable.

I wish you and your husband the best, and would love to offer you the support you need...The more you wish to share, the better we can be at helping...

Last edited by writeleft; 02-26-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
(female)

Cecelia117 HB User

Thank you both for replying. Yes he is conscious, but has been sleeping alot, so that is good to know that it is normal. It has been a week since it happened, and I am actually pretty surprised at how quickly he is getting better. The injury caused a bleed in his brain, and caused one half of his brain to actually shift, at least that was the way it was explained to me. The first few days he pretty much slept the whole time, and was in constant pain. The pain is getting alot better, and he is awake more. It's just that he has a lot of confusion, and that is really scary to see. They're not telling me yet if he will ever be back to normal completely cognitively. But it could be alot worse. He knows who we all are and stuff like that so that is definitely a good thing.
The whole thing just has been so scary, and it seems like it's never ending. The guy who did it started threatening me and telling me he was gonna kill me, and at this point I wasn't even sure if my husband was alive because he was unconscious at the time. When we took him to the hosp we assumed he had a concussion, but weren't expecting all this. I can't stop thinking about what happened, and of course I can't stop worrying about him, and I'm scared and paranoid all the time now because I really thought I was gonna die that night.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Cecelia117
JustCurios (03-14-2011), mim (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Time is the big help with any kind of brain injury. It may take a while to tell if there will be any lasting effect. The best thing to do is be patient with him and yourself after going through something like this. If you need counseling, definitely seek it out. Keep us posted and hang in there!

The Following User Says Thank You to mim For This Useful Post:
JustCurios (03-14-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Cecilia,

From what you have mentioned, there are some very good signs. He recognizes you and is awake for some part of the day. That is great. The sleeping will continue until the brain has done all the recovering it can do. The brain is such an amazing organ, and with patience, amazing things will happen.

Did this happen in your home? Can you get out of that place? I hope you have support from you family at a time like this. Do you?

Feel free to ask any more questions that come up for you, this is a time of change and new questions will arise. Until then, love your man. Love is the greatest healer.

Closed Thread