It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

melindaladd HB User
Car Accident Injuries- Stubborn Grandma

Hello- I was hoping someone could help us. My grandmother was in a car accident about three weeks ago and has not been the same since, but she is convinced she is fine and we cannot get any medical advice about her from her doctor (obviously) without her consent. Maybe an outside opinion would help us to get her to consider our request for another check up.

She was in a head on collision with a car going the wrong direction. Her ankles and knees were badly banged up so she is only seeing a bone doctor until she can walk again. But there are some other things that are worrying us. She is a very healthy, active 73 year old and she refuses to get any other help then what her bone doctor tells her to do.

1. She developed a lump under her breast, that did not bruise, but that is very painful for her. She just wants to see a massage therapist?

2. She mentally seems a little unsure of herself and has gone from a very depended, assured, quiet, proper woman to saying things (profanity and getting off topic) she has not used before. She is questioning things she generally has never questioned as far as decisions she makes or if/if not she has done or said something. She did have a cat scan the night of the accident and she thinks if there was something wrong they would have caught it. We are not medically literate in our family so she may be right and we may be paranoid over nothing?

3. Lastly she gets winded very, very easily. She walks and bowls and is physically in great shape for her age but now if she is up for more than a few minutes she needs help getting back where she started. Normal after a car accident for someone her age?

I hate to question her bone doctor or my grandma who is usually the one giving us medical advice. BUT she is independent and stubborn and we are concerned there is something they MAY not have caught. We thought an outsiders opinion, even if it is to just one of the concerns may help us to persuade her just to get checked out one more time.

THANKS!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
(male)

dismayed HB User
Re: Car Accident Injuries- Stubborn Grandma

sadly, she displays all the symtoms of a tbi (tramatic brain injury) love, support and understanding has helped me, 9 years and counting and i still 'over do it' get exhausted, forget things within minutes.....having said all this i am thankful to be alive and able to understand what others are going through.....
hope this helps....

it may be too expensive, but a GOOD case manager could possibly help her to get the med help she needs.....will be praying for both of you!

Last edited by dismayed; 05-30-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: extra thoughts!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

As a survivor of 4 strokes, I understand the losses that can occure following any injury to the head. There could have been a swelling that appeared, pressure on any number or nerves or receptors that are having in impact on her at this date, even if she seemed fine at the time. The brain is just too delicate organ to not have fully checked out.

One thing that you mention is her change in attitude, and her new use of foul language. That would be a warning sign to me. if she has developed trust with her leg doctor, ask him/her to discuss this subject with her and have him encourage her to get a follow up to make sure nothing to serious is going on in there.

Brain unjury can be quite a process to overcome, i have spent the last 8 years trying to do so, but I would not change a thing now! At least having a clear understanding of her condition is important, so that she can take control over regaining power over it again. The fact that she is denying it at all is another sign she may be in denial for sure.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wanted to ditto what you have been told, ESP her personality changes AND 'suddenly' using foul language that she never did PRE MVA? that truely was what freaked me out the most when our son who NEVER ever swore, woke up after being flown off the back of his friends car landing on his head and knocked out? he awoke, vomited(another key sign) but then just started cussing like a sailor and also was very combative. but even in the ICU, while still in a 'type' of a level of coma, he was STILL swearing in a rather ongoing way(with eyes still shut). i aplogized to the two nurses who were in his unit for the swearing and they both said, don't worry about it, we see this all the time here with brain injuries.

the one huge thing here when it comes to you not being able to ask her doc anything? while THAT is a no no, you CAN contact him and TELL HIM what has been going on, just stating while i know you cannot discuss HER with me, you NEED to know what she has been doing, anmd we ARE scared. then explain everything to him. or even write him some type of letter sent so he has to sign for it? any possible way you can simply relay this very needed info to her esp primary doc is critical for her overall health and safety right now. there just is NOTany law against you doing that.

she just does seriously appear to have some level of real brain impact going on. the initial CT one gets in the ER may or may NOT actually show full signs of brain injury as write up there mentioned. some injuries can occur moreso over time, and potential swelling too. she really should get a contrasted MRI if at all possible just to make certain she did NOT suffer anything 'post' like even a small bleed or other things that could show themselves after what she simply had happen to her at all.

was she wearing a seatbelt when this occured? how fast was she going when this occured? just considering her age and all of the many different 'forces' involved in any MVA, she could have other potential injuries both within the brain and the very susceptable c spine,esp given her age too here. an contrasted MRI would seriouslty help with seeing the 'inner' areas where impact injuries would be the most likly right now. but i would definitely tell that doc that she seriously NEEDS a good neurological eval done on her with some deeper cognative types of testing since she really is in some sort of decline there. and make certain to tell that doc about big changes in her overall personality with that 'sudden' onset swearing. it IS a big symptom with BI. hopefully you CAN simply tell this doc everything so he can take it from there. but this is what i would do if i were in your familiys posistion. no one knows a persons 'normal' vs abnormal" routines/habits/personality like the familiy just does. definitely NOT docs who see a patient every once in a while. and i WOULD make them understand THAT part. i wish you luck with this and hope grandma will be okay. just do whatever you have to to get her docs that info that IS so very needed right now. or even see if you or another family meber could actually go with her to an appt and ask to speak or mention certain symptoms so they will know that way?? just a thought if possible. please DO keep us posted, marcia

Closed Thread