HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Brain & Head Injury (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-head-injury/)
-   -   3 Years After Concussion (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-head-injury/855692-3-years-after-concussion.html)

TheDandL 06-23-2011 05:25 AM

Post-Concussion Symptoms?

I fell off a flying fox back in September of 2008 and was [B]knocked out[/B] for a few minutes and sent to hospital soon after. I had [B]minor amnesia[/B] for a [B]few minutes[/B] after waking up and extreme dizziness. Anyways, since then i have had a fair amount of [B]mood swings and depressive tendencies[/B] followed by [B]short and long term memory loss and the inability to focus well[/B]. I've always been a bit like that, but it has become more intense since then, and i still get dizzy and random headaches since then and from what [B]i've heard, it's not that normal to have these symptoms so many years after it.[/B] We don't get much information about it here in NZ so i was wondering what others might think about it.

Thank you.

Pingree70 06-25-2011 04:56 AM

Re: Post-Concussion Symptoms?

[QUOTE=TheDandL;4784536]I fell off a flying fox back in September of 2008 and was [B]knocked out[/B] for a few minutes and sent to hospital soon after. I had [B]minor amnesia[/B] for a [B]few minutes[/B] after waking up and extreme dizziness. Anyways, since then i have had a fair amount of [B]mood swings and depressive tendencies[/B] followed by [B]short and long term memory loss and the inability to focus well[/B]. I've always been a bit like that, but it has become more intense since then, and i still get dizzy and random headaches since then and from what [B]i've heard, it's not that normal to have these symptoms so many years after it.[/B] We don't get much information about it here in NZ so i was wondering what others might think about it.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Being from the States I am not quite sure what a Flying Fox is :confused:, but am sorry to hear you are having problems so long after your accident. I myself suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury almost 3 years ago and still suffer it's affects till this day. I would suggest that if you have access to a neurologist, you should make an appointment to determine if there are physical injuries causing your issues and what treatments might help alleviate your issues. Any changes in your eyesight or hearing since your accident?

TheDandL 06-26-2011 05:47 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply! Um, possibly it is a 'zip line' in America? It's what kids use in the playground mostly and i was with a bunch of them for a camp so yeah. Oh no that's not good! Hope things haven't been to bad for you since your accident? That would be a good idea to see one. I have been thinking about it but i dont like to see the doctors incase it's not that serious. Anyways, hearing is ok from what i can tell. Though i assume if hearing has changed it maybe because of using earphones. Eyesight has changed a little, i am quite sensitive to overcast days (sky fully grey and white) and i get headaches and a bit nauseous etc. And focus has lacked a little, but i never really thought about it being connected =S.

Pingree70 06-26-2011 07:08 AM

I looked up "Flying Fox" and it indeed would be a zip line here in the states. As far as eyesight and hearing go they are very connected to any type of head injury along with smell and taste. Your sensory organs might appear healthy and normal, but the way your brain processes the information given to it by these organs can be damaged. After my accident I suffer from something called Hyperacusis, I have had my hearing tested and my ears look just fine, but I am able to hear sounds that no one else can, and everything is way to loud. The doctors had to bring in special equipment just to be able to test my level of hearing, and they are unable to explain why I can hear so well. I also have light sensitivity, frequent headaches, fatigue, and a major problem with focus. Medications do help but are not a cure-all. Re-hab can help you learn how to deal with some of these issues and is really a good spot for support. I would recommend going to see a doctor about your issues at your earliest opportunity. Good luck and keep us up to date!

TheDandL 06-26-2011 11:37 PM

Oh wow it's like the story of a super hero's origins! The hearing part at least. But your injuries sound extremely intense, much more than mine. I definitely relate to the eye ordeal, but the hearing not. I really hope your hearing becomes easier to manage with! Thanks heaps for the advice and information! It's been really encouraging and informative. I shall post once i find out what's the deal. Ciao!

Zogs 06-29-2011 07:42 PM

Hi there!

I had a head trauma after a fall off of my horse 10 years ago. I was only out for a few minutes, but it was about a 15 foot fall - I was jumping her over a nicely sized fence, and she is a big girl.

Since then, I've had an exacerbation of psychiatric illness, migraines and I hit my head so hard on the ground that I knocked my eyes out of alignment and I have double vision! I also have had issues with intracranial hypertension. So, although a concussion is considered a minor traumatic brain trauma - there really can be long term consequences. The sad thing, I think, is that I had really poor follow up by neurologists for the first 5 years. It was only after my double vision continued to get worse, and I had changes on my brain MRI from chronic migraine that neurologists actually began to take me seriously.

Don't let them brush you off!! Best of luck!!

Pingree70 08-04-2011 08:22 AM

Re: 3 Years After Concussion

We want to hear how you are doing!! Did you see the Doctor?

Mark
The TBI Guy

TheDandL 08-07-2011 04:13 PM

Re: 3 Years After Concussion

That's crazy! I can't imagine that being very nice at all. Yeah, i'm not sure how it will work out but i've just seen these sort of things brushed off so often, and lack of spare time sort of prohibits me from getting to it. But thank you for sharing, it is very encouraging and i hope everything is going well with your self! :) :)