It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

cinnamonswirl47 HB User
Moderate concussion

I've been very concerned that there may be something really wrong with how I've been feeling for a long time. Last November I was in a hit and run car accident. The car was hit from behind and I was shoved into the car ahead of me. Nobody stopped, and it wasn't till I called 911 and a cop came did anyone check on me. I remember shutting my eyes and screaming jerking back and forth but I don't think I blacked out. It took awhile for the nausea to hit and the Er gave me some vicadin. I had to return the next day because it didn't help me. They gave me valium, and perkasettes for all the pain. I still went to work and school after three days despite the pain. After the medicine ran out I've been forced to take just over the counter medicines. I have really bad back and neck pain, which is slowly healing it gets worse when I am at work or active. But what really worries me is that when I lean forward it feels like I am going to completely fall forward. Even for stupid things like picking up a marker cap that fell on the floor, I have to bend with my knees otherwise I feel really dizzy and get a headache. Sometimes the headaches seem to be from my neck hurting. I also have the last week noticed that when I've been sleeping since I got new pillows and rearranged them my head is further back I wake up and if I turn my head it feels like I'm spinning. I've also for awhile had trouble sleeping, I've been forced to stay awake till I can't anymore. I also upon waking do not feel rested. I always feel tired and at times weak and dizzy. Which is very frusterating! I've had concussions since I was a kid, and I hope that the last didn't tip the scale. The Er did a mri and a cat scan I think it was and they didn't find anything...they said I had a moderate concussion and whiplash. I just don't know if what I feel is common after concussions or what I should do...?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: Moderate concussion

Hi, Your symptoms point to a bad neck strain from whiplash, which is exactly what I ended up with also. The muscles in your neck, when stretched too far, tighten back up immensely, and these knots put pressure on the blood vessels going to the head, causing pain, dizzy spells, nausia, light headedness, concentration and memory problems etc. This does not go away on its own. This was explained to me by my physical therapist. You can have concussion symptoms, without actually hitting your head, I did. I would suggest you go back to your doctor, and tell the doc all of your symptoms, it sounds like you need physical therapy. This type is called counter strain, it is not exercises, as these can aggravate it even more. The therapist positions you a certain way, and this releases these muscles spasms, and this in turn takes out the tension, releasing the pressure and the symptoms start going away. Please don't put this off any longer as the symptoms will stay with you until taken care of. I do not know if it's too late for filing a suit with insurance but I would also check into that, as immediate treatment is what you needed. It is 11 years after my accident, I went through months of physical therapy as I couldn't even move my head at all, and was in severe pain, I had no broken bones, only a slightly bulging disk, but severe pain, stiffness, and terrible concussion symptoms. I have gone back to therapy here and there because any overuse brings back symptoms. Please go back to your doctor and get the proper treatment so you can get better. I hope you find relief soon.

Closed Thread