It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
(female)

604lady HB User
how is a b.i. determined ?

Hello to everyone,
I am new to healthboards, and happy to be here
Due to a series of many very unfortunate events in my nearly 33 years I have a unrelenting suspicion that I have a brain injury. I have dicussed my concerns with my family doctor, after hearing my side of things, she agrees that having a brain injury is very likely. My family doctor also mentioned that if I want to further investigate it would cost $1000.00 or more to get the "testing" done. I live Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, is anybody in MY area familiar with this ?. What kind of testing is done to determine a brain injury and the severity of a brain injury.
Please fill me in
Tyvm

Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
(female)

604lady HB User
Re: how is a b.i. determined ?

I wish I had some answers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
(male)

Pingree70 HB User

A brain injury can be determined a few ways. The most common that I have come across is neuropsychological testing. The testing is quite extensive and can last for up to 8 hours, consisting of many different tests to determine how any injury might have affected your brain. In my experience these tests results can be somewhat misleading as they do not take into account things like fatigue, eye problems, headaches, and other physical issues that affect your daily life. I have had 3 of these tests done over the last 3 years due to a motorcycle accident and all have shown issues, but the results have all been different. I know a $1000.00 is a lot of money, but you are worth it. Would you spend a $1000 on a nice spa vacation? Your health is worth every penny you have. Please let us know how you are doing?

Mark
The TBI Guy

P.S. Did a little digging and came up with a good resource for you.

British Columbia Brain Injury Association

Contact information is:
Local Vancouver Phone: (604) 465-1783
Fax: (604) 465-1725
Outside Greater Vancouver: 1-877-858-1788
Ste. 143-11948 207 Street,
Maple Ridge, BC
V2X 1X7

Last edited by Pingree70; 08-04-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: More info needed

Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
(female)

604lady HB User

Pingree,
Tyvm for your VERY helpful and informative response. ALL of the information you have kindly provided is greatly appreciated As much as I would love a spa vacation, wouldnt we all, I think my health is the obvious choice. Thankfully and luckily I have my amazingly kind and very understanding Father to help me out financially. Its just a matter of convincing my new family doctor to get the testing I desperately need a deserve. I feel like I am being denied the possible quality of life I could have, if that makes sense. I mean once the testing is concluded and if a brain injury is confirmed, of whatever degree, there may be theraputic services of many sorts I can use to my advantage.
Pingree I am sorry to hear about your motorcycle accident. I dont know the severity of your accident, allz I know is YOU are here for a reason, I am very happy you are :-)
I to have had my unfortunate share of vehicle related accidents. Sadly I am on accident number 7, just for the record I have never driven, and only 1 of the accidents was my fault. I jay walked and learned the hard way. Luckily I walked away, I'd like to say unscathed, so NOT true, if my head keeps getting bounced around like a basketball. I also many valid reasons to believe I do have brain injury.
Its all just a matter of convincing my Dr to get the testing booked, otherwise I am going to seek a 2nd, third and fourth opinion.

Sorry to of rammbled on I sincerely appreciate the information you took the time to provide me with. Thanks a zillion

Closed Thread