It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
(female)

Csj50 HB User
Experiences with brain injury prognoses? Any advice or experiences appreciated!

My father was admitted to the ER 8 nights ago after my aunt had found him seizing at home. He was not responsive...upon arrival to the ER, he went into cardiac arrest which unfortunately took 15 minutes to revive.

The first night, he went into dialysis due to acute renal failure and the docs put him on anti seizure meds to calm his brain down. After a few tests, it was discovered that what seems to be the cause of all this was due to a recent deep brain stimulation procedure that was performed (he also has Parkinson's). The next day, his neurosurgeon removed most of the abscess (which was not deep in the brain) and antibiotics were started.

After the surgery, and taken off the sedation, dad was put on a 24 hr EEG and it came back normal with no seizure activity. An MRI was performed 3 days ago and showed some swelling and a few infarcts (and those are the only details I know about the MRI).

I'm deeply concerned and upset with his leve of consciousness- he probably started opening his eyes to voices about 5 days ago and seems to have brief cycles of sleep/wake. Two days ago, the nurse and myself also noticed some tracking of people with the eyes. He has a normal
Pupillary response, but no response to painful stimuli. No gag reflex (I do wonder if that had anything to do with the dysphasia that occurs with Parkinson's?) but he will cough a bit. His vitals are normal
And he is able to make urine now.

Is 8 days too soon to make a prognosis on his level of consciousness? Also, the docs don't seem to do anything about the swelling- Ive always assumed that these things don't go away on it's own- either steroids or diuretics used, no)? Is it possible some awareness will return if the swelling is relieved?

Sorry for all the questions- I'm clearly going through a very difficult time and haven't been able to speak to a doctor, only the nurses. ANY input (and prayers) would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply