It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
(female)

a5236 HB User
How long until concussion goes away??

So a couple of days ago while getting out of the car, I reached over to the passenger seat to grab my bags. When I went to stand up straight, the car door suddenly closed shut and hit the back left of my head. Ouch. It was the glass window part of the door that actually hit my head. I never lost consciousness.

Despite my head and neck hurting in this area, I was generally okay and still worked all day. The next day at work, I started to feel a little "off" and noticed that the computer glare was making me a bit dizzy and made me feel out of it. I also felt a bit nauseous as well. I decided to leave work and go to the dr to get it checked.

The dr told me that she thought it was a mild concussion. She checked my eyes and vitals, etc and everything was fine. She did not think it was necessary to get a CT scan due to the high amount of radiation and as I am young. She told me to give it about 5 days and if I am still not feeling better or am feeling worse, to come back in and they would have me get a CT scan possibly then.

I rested all day today, however I got up to do some household chores and feel completely out of it again and the back of my head and neck still hurts bad. I had to lay back down. I also really still feel out of it and disoriented. Is this normal? I feel like I am in a fog today and am not used to this.

How long does this last? What are the chances this is something more serious that may require a CT scan?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
(female)

mhannaht HB User
Re: How long until concussion goes away??

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5236 View Post
So a couple of days ago while getting out of the car, I reached over to the passenger seat to grab my bags. When I went to stand up straight, the car door suddenly closed shut and hit the back left of my head. Ouch. It was the glass window part of the door that actually hit my head. I never lost consciousness.

Despite my head and neck hurting in this area, I was generally okay and still worked all day. The next day at work, I started to feel a little "off" and noticed that the computer glare was making me a bit dizzy and made me feel out of it. I also felt a bit nauseous as well. I decided to leave work and go to the dr to get it checked.

The dr told me that she thought it was a mild concussion. She checked my eyes and vitals, etc and everything was fine. She did not think it was necessary to get a CT scan due to the high amount of radiation and as I am young. She told me to give it about 5 days and if I am still not feeling better or am feeling worse, to come back in and they would have me get a CT scan possibly then.

I rested all day today, however I got up to do some household chores and feel completely out of it again and the back of my head and neck still hurts bad. I had to lay back down. I also really still feel out of it and disoriented. Is this normal? I feel like I am in a fog today and am not used to this.

How long does this last? What are the chances this is something more serious that may require a CT scan?
Hey, I'm sorry about your concussion- I've been there, and they're not fun.

The good news is that you don't seem to be too severely debilitated by its symptoms, and if you listen to your body and rest until your brain is fully recovered you should be just fine in the long run.

To answer your specific question: it is completely normal to feel 'out of it' or in a hazy sort of fog when you exert yourself, even a little bit, after a concussion. Your brain isn't working properly right now, and when you tried to do those chores, it had the task of trying to process too many physical movements, too many thoughts, etc. I know it seems like such a simple task, but some things just aren't easy when you have a concussion.

Your best bet is to listen to your doctor's advice and continue to rest for a few days- not just time off from work, but also time off from physical and cognitive activity; not too much TV or reading, no exercising, and no over stimulation, and nothing that causes you to have symptoms. I know it may seem overkill, but this really is the best way to get your brain back to normal. If you're still having problems in a week or so, I'd call your doctor. These things take time (and that time is different for everyone...most of the symptoms of my last concussion lasted 8 weeks, but I've had teammates' whose concussions have only lasted days), but it never hurts to check in with them.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

-H

Old 06-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: How long until concussion goes away??

Hi Welcome to the brain and head injury healthboard! I hope everything is better now.

Reply Reply

Tags
concussion, disoriented, head ache, neck pain