It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

Lizabets HB User
Partial seizures

I am looking for someone to talk with about seizures. I just found out I'm having partial seizures about 7 months ago. I am on Keppra which is great, but want to take Topamax as well; only for the reason of lossing weight. I have gained a ton since I found out about the seizures. Anyone out there?

Last edited by Lizabets; 06-11-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typos

Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
(female)

skuffin HB User
Re: Partial seizures

Hi, a diagnosis of seizures can be scary, eh? I have complex partial seizures as a result of a car accident. ( see thread "head injury vet") . I take klonopin for them. I also take lamictal for moods, but it is a seizure med too. I hope you have a good neurologist who knows his stuff; getting the right meds is the frustrating part. A lot of them have side effects, so it's a matter of deciding whether to control the seizures or not take the med and lose weight, but have seizures . Talk about a catch 22. Well I could go on and on about seizures . I"ve had them for years, and have known my neurologist longer than I've known my husband of 25 years! You can live a great life despite seizures; it's just these first months of trial and error. I wish the best for you, and I'm here if you want to talk again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

Lizabets HB User

Hi Skuffin, Your telling me. Very scary. I'm seeing a Neuro-therapist to deal with this. I'm having a hard time accepting all this. I am 52 and I had brain surgery when I was 14. It gave me some major problems, like writing, loss of ability to play the piano as well as I did ( I was studying to be a concert pianist), my balance was a little off; and as I got older things got worse. My memory sucks. But through it all I was able to function. When I hit an obstacle I just found a way to get around it and continue. It was hard but I didn't know any different. My Therapist found out I have had seizures since I was born. I recognize all the symptoms now but things really got worse in the past 2 years. But at that time I didn't know I was having seizures. My family didn't ethier. They just thought I was a flake. I thought all my problems were due to just having the surgery. I have always struggled with life but "you've got to so what you've got to do". My therapist had me go to a neurologist and she sent me to get an EEG and that is how they found the seizures...I am taking Keppra now and I hate it. I think I would rather have the seizures. Afterall I knew how to deal that way (but yes, unfortunately I need the medicine now) I have good days and bad days. The side effects are terrible. Life will go along smoothly then the storm hits and I'm out of it for days. Then I will dig nyself out of my hole again and things will be ok again and then...BOOM. Another one bites the dust (if you know what I mean).
Everyting has changed in my life and I am not sure how to handle it. I have lost all social abilities because of it. You've been able to get married and have kids. I'm happy for you. Companionship is great. We find ways to cope and do what we have to do to accomplish things (different than the norm') and at a different pace. But sltes (oops, seizure)... lets muddle through it. I hope I am making sense. Thank you for your input on this site. Its good to talk to someone who is going through the same thing.

Last edited by Lizabets; 07-09-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typos and adding text

Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

VA_girl HB User

I started having partial complex seizures when I was 18ish...had brain surgery for brain tumor when I was 22, still had seizures for a few years after the surgery, but then tried natural treatments, and the siezures went away pretty much instantly. Before I had tried tegretol, neuronton, lamictal and dilantin...nothing ever stopped the seizures. But now about 11years later, I'm seizure and medicine free. I really think the alternative medicine worked for me. NEVER give up on finding what works for you!

Reply Reply