It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
(female)

cleelumjsf HB User
Post double vision after concussion

10 weeks ago I took a fall and hit the back of my hard enough to knock me out. Now I am dealing with double vision -- or tilted vision is more correct. closing either eye, or tilting my head fixes it. Massage, CAT scan ok, acupuncture, chiropractor -- and it's still there. Optometrist sees no eye damage, so the diagnosis seems to be damage to the optic nerve.
Besides being depressing, it's exhausting to deal with as I do not feel safe to drive which has changed my life. The doctors all say it could resolve itself in 3-6 months .. but I'm losing hope.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: double vision after concussion

I had trouble with double vision many years ago. A good exercise that really helped me was to hold up a pencil about arm's length, focus on it and bring it slowly closer, maintaining focus all the way until it touched the nose. Repeat 3 or 4 times, and do it morning and night. Hope it helps. Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
(female)

cleelumjsf HB User

Thanks for replying! I am doing some eye exercises, but the acupuncturist really explained it the best I think .. it's not really an eye thing or a brain thing ..it's an optic nerve thing. They're all saying it might still resolve itself, but it could take a while.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
(male)

toyfixr HB User
Wink Re: double vision after concussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleelumjsf View Post
10 weeks ago I took a fall and hit the back of my hard enough to knock me out. Now I am dealing with double vision -- or tilted vision is more correct. closing either eye, or tilting my head fixes it. Massage, CAT scan ok, acupuncture, chiropractor -- and it's still there. Optometrist sees no eye damage, so the diagnosis seems to be damage to the optic nerve.
Besides being depressing, it's exhausting to deal with as I do not feel safe to drive which has changed my life. The doctors all say it could resolve itself in 3-6 months .. but I'm losing hope.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
wow it sounds like we are in the same boat. i was in a collision on a baseball field and every since i have had double vision . if i tilt my head down i can see normally but if i lift my head and look straight ahead my vision is double.if i cover one eye (either ) eye i see normally. it seems like the image in my right eye is lower and tilted when looking with both eyes. another thing i noticed too is that my balance is off when looking through my right eye by itself. i am seeing a neurologist sometime soon i hope because this sucks. i also hate driving and im off work due to this injury. i had my accident june 20th of this year and everyday i wake up hoping my vision will be normal. try and stay positive i know it is hard but people are are in a lot worse shape then we are.

cheers H.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
(female)

cleelumjsf HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfixr View Post

wow it sounds like we are in the same boat. i was in a collision on a baseball field and every since i have had double vision . if i tilt my head down i can see normally but if i lift my head and look straight ahead my vision is double.if i cover one eye (either ) eye i see normally. it seems like the image in my right eye is lower and tilted when looking with both eyes. another thing i noticed too is that my balance is off when looking through my right eye by itself. i am seeing a neurologist sometime soon i hope because this sucks. i also hate driving and im off work due to this injury. i had my accident june 20th of this year and everyday i wake up hoping my vision will be normal. try and stay positive i know it is hard but people are are in a lot worse shape then we are.

cheers H.
Thanks so much for writing! It certainly DOES sound like we're in the same boat. Even thought the three acupuncture sessions didn't change anything, he was able to give me the most believable explanation of what happened. He showed me a drawing of the optic nerve, and it's his opinion that where it crosses to go to the eyes, there's something putting pressure there and messing up the signal to my brain. He did say the last time that he felt he's gotten the sutures in my skull to start moving which may help the lymph to drain and relieve the pressure .. we'll see.
I HATE being the 'sick girl' with the endless explanations, and 'nothing's changed' reports. I'm not even telling anyone that, because I have to tilt my head like the RCA dog, I must be pinching a nerve in my neck causing my right arm to go pins and needles .. ugh. My doc first said it could take up to 6 months to resolve itself .. but I'm not putting a money bet on that.
Hoping for the best for you!
joan

Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User

I know this is a delayed response. I just found your post. How are you doing now? I wanted pass on some information I hope will help if you're still suffering without answers. I had a head injury and concussion as a result of a car accident in Sept 2010. I initially had vertigo, short term memory issues, blurred and double vision. My neurologist brushed everything off because my CT scan was normal and told me it would soon pass. It didn't. And when I persisted, he referred me to a neuro-ophthalmologist. She put me through several vision tests and sent me for an MRI. Surprise... The MRI was normal. She, too, began making excuses for my double vision. She actually tried to convince me it was because I had excessive oils around my lashes that were getting into my eyes and causing the vision problems. She prescribed an eyelid scrub (Yes, they actually sell this). Of course, it didn't do anything but dry out my eyelids!

After six months, I finally convinced the neurologist to at least refer me to a therapist to work on my memory issues. On my first visit, as I began to describe all my symptoms to her, including the vertigo and double vision, she stopped me and said she could tell me exactly what my problem was. Turns out this is her specialty and she said I had all the classic signs of "post-concussive syndrome." I had never heard this term before. She explained that, when your head is bumped severely, tiny neurons are actually bent. As they are so small and nothing is actually broken, it can't be seen on CT scans. I wish I could remember the actual description she gave me. You can find it online. But that damage causes a lot of symptoms including vertigo, blurred/double vision, short term memory issues, inability to focus on what you're doing, mood changes, and more. Most neurologists depend on MRI's and CT scans to make a definitive diagnosis. They deny the existence of anything that can't be seen on a test. So they will give the patient a clean bill of health and send them home. But the condition is very real. And the symptoms will continue to wreak havoc in the person's life, sometimes ruining relationships and keeping him/her from being able to maintain a job or function normally. Sometimes the effects are short term. But sometimes symptoms can last for a year or longer. Some symptoms never completely go away.

If you want or need an official diagnosis, you will want to be referred to a neuro-psychologist who will interview you and do extensive testing of your memory in all areas. From this, he/she can make a diagnosis. This can be important to have if your symptoms are causing you to miss work, etc. Sometimes it's just for the satisfaction of proving you are not crazy or making it up.

It has been nearly two years since my injury and I still struggle with headaches, memory problems and blurred/double vision. Five to ten minutes reading, especially on a computer screen, and I can no longer make out the words. This is actually an improvement as, initially, I had difficulty driving because of the double vision. I cannot drive or work when I'm very tired because I lose focus easily. I was in a second accident last year because I had just worked a 15 hour overnight shift and lost focus driving home, totally missing a red light. My job is one that involves a lot of overtime. So, with a diagnosis, I now have a doctor's note to limit my overtime hours. I hope some of this has helped. Would love to know how you're doing at this point.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
(male)

toyfixr HB User

not sure if you are still suffering with double vision but im cured after suffering for a couple of months. I wen't to see a neurologist and i was diagnosed with a optic nerve palsy. i guees it is common with head injuries. i was sent to an eye clinic and they fitted me with a stick on prism. it sticks to the inside of glasses and it allows you to see normally. it also corrected my vision in about two weeks. first i noticed one morning i could see normally and by evening i would need the glasses. then about a week later i didnt need any glasses.

good luck H.Austin

Old 02-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
(female)

mnice HB User

wow AuntNanc, sounds exactly like my son..."vertigo, blurred/double vision, short term memory issues, inability to focus on what you're doing, mood changes, and more" . we were in a car accident about 4 mos ago and he's still struggling pretty hard. He is doing OT for this , as well as pt for his back and psych osme of the post concussive symptoms as well as anxiety stemming from the crash.

I have him scheduled for a neuro follow up this tuesday, we'll see how that goes. I sure hope it doesn't have any long term affect, but his 1st grade year has sure been affected, poor little guy

Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
(male)

bajaluv HB User

I have had it for two weeks now following a pretty severe high speed crash on my Dirt Bike. I have had a few concussions during my lifetime but never any of this Double Vision stuff. I was refferred to my EyeCologist or however you say it the day after the accident. Yesterday was my 2 week visit with no changes. He set me up for a Prism which my wife is picking up today while I am at work. I Cant wait to get it and see if I can get better with it. Good luck to all I feel your pain.. I'll post again with results.

Reply Reply