It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
(male)

Josh84 HB User
Head Injuries in childhood catching up?

A brief history:

I was probably 9 or so when I had my first concussion, I was knocked out playing football with neighbor kids, I don't remember anything except waking up and walking home. I was nauseated for at least a month after that, vomitting, dizzy..

Next bad head injury, i was 16-17 (I'm 28 now), I fell about 8 to 12 feet from my bike off a vert ramp at a skatepark without a helmet.. I smacked my head pretty good, hard enough to lose my vision for at least 20-30 seconds, I could only see a color (dark red), and my vision gradually went to normal.. I felt tired but not exhausted. The fall didn't knock me out.

in the last 4-5 years I'd say, i've dealt with nausea on a day to day basis.. fatigue.. random headaches affecting the base of my skull to dull focussed pain between my eyes.. my ears feel plugged up sometimes, and sometimes i can hear a slight rushing (like a tv on a channel with no signal) sound.. If I push myself, like running or pedalling I can feel an annoying feeling in my gums, like i need to apply pressure or bite down. My personality has changed also, the person I use to be is gone, I feel like I can't communicate like I use to, my personal relationships have suffered.

Today, If I turn my head too fast, I'm instantly dizzy and light headed.. I can hardly hold posture in my neck, I get motion sickness easily, and I barely catch any restful sleep..

I've had doctors tell me it's just anxiety, but I've had anxiety since I was a kid, and I know what it's like to get sick from anxiety, what I go through these days isn't that. When I get nauseated, I feel a gross feeling, like I'm turning green.

anybody got any suggestions.. do concussions effect brain development or later lead to something serious?

Last edited by Josh84; 09-15-2012 at 02:14 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Josh84:
elizabeth62 (09-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User
Re: Head Injuries in childhood catching up?

Given your history and symptoms, I think a full neurological workup is warranted. Ask your doctor for a referal to a neurologist, or just make the appointment yourself. Your injuries may indeed have had long-lasting consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh84 View Post
A brief history:

I was probably 9 or so when I had my first concussion, I was knocked out playing football with neighbor kids, I don't remember anything except waking up and walking home. I was nauseated for at least a month after that, vomitting, dizzy..

Next bad head injury, i was 16-17 (I'm 28 now), I fell about 8 to 12 feet from my bike off a vert ramp at a skatepark without a helmet.. I smacked my head pretty good, hard enough to lose my vision for at least 20-30 seconds, I could only see a color (dark red), and my vision gradually went to normal.. I felt tired but not exhausted. The fall didn't knock me out.

in the last 4-5 years I'd say, i've dealt with nausea on a day to day basis.. fatigue.. random headaches affecting the base of my skull to dull focussed pain between my eyes.. my ears feel plugged up sometimes, and sometimes i can hear a slight rushing (like a tv on a channel with no signal) sound.. If I push myself, like running or pedalling I can feel an annoying feeling in my gums, like i need to apply pressure or bite down. My personality has changed also, the person I use to be is gone, I feel like I can't communicate like I use to, my personal relationships have suffered.

Today, If I turn my head too fast, I'm instantly dizzy and light headed.. I can hardly hold posture in my neck, I get motion sickness easily, and I barely catch any restful sleep..

I've had doctors tell me it's just anxiety, but I've had anxiety since I was a kid, and I know what it's like to get sick from anxiety, what I go through these days isn't that. When I get nauseated, I feel a gross feeling, like I'm turning green.

anybody got any suggestions.. do concussions effect brain development or later lead to something serious?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
(male)

jdny33 HB User

I had the same issues. My last blow to the head was a steel bat to top of forehead. Well 17 years of migraine headaches and lots of other symptoms I landed in the hospital with my left side of face numb and left eye blind with sight returning like an old black and white tv. It came back slow. Well I also have a herniated disc in my neck. They (Neurologists) blamed the neck for everything. Well my post hospital visit the office made a mistake and made my appt with a NP. She got ****** and ordered a battery of tests. Well thanks to her I found that I have a vestibular disorder. The puzzle finally came together. Left ear and left eye. My condition is not reversible since it came from such a blow. So I am now diagnosed with TBI. It has changed my life. In a negative way. Ask to have testing done for a vestibular issue. A lot of practitioners don't know how to treat or know what it is. I was lucky my NP was in the army in Iraq and said this is similar to bomb blast injuries. Hope this long answer helps. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
(male)

we6jbo HB User

I find elevators make me dizzy. I also have the pains you have and asprin seems to help

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, concussion, dizzy, sick, tumor