It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

gimbletoes HB User
I'm such a mess... please help? Newbie...

Four months ago, I was thrown in a crash. At first, I just got dizzy and confused. I was told I lost consciousness for a small amount of time, and I don't remember the impact at all.

My symptoms seem to not be improving--I'll list some:

Headache with serious skull pain
Bad neck pain daily
Vomiting
Dizziness
Ears ringing
Walking into walls
Light and noise are killing me
Left side numbness/weakness (numbness just in leg, weakness in hand and leg)
Vision problems (on and off)
Losing train of thought mid-sentence
Not able to understand questions that are not direct and one at a time (not sentences with "Where are you going and when do you need to be there?" i.e.)
Don't remember much of the month or so after the accident

I was diagnosed with a concussion, but it's been four months and I am not getting better at all. Any idea of what's wrong with me? Is it concussion-related or is something else wrong?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arrowroot HB User
Re: I'm such a mess...please help? Newbie...

Yes, I would certainly think it's related to the injury you sustained in the accident. What kind of follow-up care are you getting? Are you seeing a doctor regularly?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
(female)

kind1 HB User
Re: I'm such a mess...please help? Newbie...

Please make an appointment with a board-certified *neurologist* for further evaluation. (You may need a referral from your "primary"/general practitioner/medical doctor.) The neurologist may order some routine tests, including an eeg/electroencephalogram which measures electrical activity of the brain and can rule out seizure activity, head mri (magnetic resonance imaging) scan, and/or ct (computerized tomography) scan.

Just an fyi that there can be an injury to the brain, though the brain scan may be negative (normal). With regard to the issues with cognition, which pertains to thought process - understanding written and auditory (hearing) information, attention & concentration, problem solving, judgment and memory, please find out about getting a neuropsychological evaluation. Please be aware that the *neuropsychologist* is a doctoral-level (Ph.D. or Psy.D.) licensed psychologist who specializes in how the brain affects behavior. The test is can take about six hours, though the results may show which areas of the brain, if any, have been affected. The neuropsych may be able to do cognitive therapy which may help improve related skills. It may not be a cure-all/panacea though but it can be well worth the effort.

Just an fyi that a *licensed speech-language pathologist* may also provide cognitive therapy, but they don't administer the extensive neuropsychological test.

You may also benefit from *physical therapy* (PT) for the neck pain, leg/hand numbness and even the dizziness, the latter if for example, the symptoms of dizziness are from inner ear/vestibular dysfunction. A person needs a referral from a medical doctor (or licensed dentist if related to teeth/jaw pain) in order to possibly receive PT.

Regarding the dizziness and balance issues, you may also want to get a referral for an *ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor* to rule out inner ear problems or such.

Some people who've had a concussion ("minor traumatic brain injury") may have trouble remembering the incident. Just fyi (for anyone) that not everyone with a concussion has lost consciousness.

You may want to also get a referral for an *opthalmologist* (eye doctor) due to the vision problems.

Last edited by kind1; 10-30-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Reply Reply