It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Passed out then hit my head - concussion?

Hi!
On Tuesday am, I passed out in the shower and wacked my head - came to about 45 seconds later with my husband yelling to ask if I was okay. He helped me out of the tub and I passed out again, hitting the back of my head on the door jam. I have bruises on my forehead, bridge of my nose, cheek bone, chin and neck. I was in the hospital for 4 nights and received a diagnosis of vagal vagus syncope. They kept telling me I had a nasty concussion, but I had a normal MRI and CT scan. At discharge, they did not give me any tips on healing from the concussion. Do I really have one? I still am very dizzy with poor balance, have terrible headaches, loud ringing in the ears too. I also have nausea, but I think that is due to the GI issues that have gotten me dehydrated to begin with (caused the low blood volume which made me pass out).

I have to see the GP tomorrow - any tips on what I should say? Im not sure I could focus at work and am still afraid of falling!!

HELP!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Passed out then hit my head - concussion?

It certainly sounds like you have a concussion. It is good that you are seeing a doctor because you really need to be monitored. Rest lying down, be careful with painkillers as they could mask symptoms of concussion. Ask the doctor about this. He should check your pupil reactions, and your balance and coordination. Good luck, Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Thanks - I think my pupils are okay although they are very wide? they did check them several times in the hospital. Im so worried about going back to work and driving!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
(female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User

Hi there....WOW, it sounds like you really had a pretty significant concussion there.

It is very important that you refrain from any activity that involves putting any extra stress on your brain.

My niece had a significant concussion from a soccer incident and wasn't even allowed to return to school for several months!!

They said that she couldn't use the computer, watch TV and do alot of things that work the brain too much which could keep the brain from healing properly.

A concussion is s severe bruising of the brain and you really should have gotten some specific DO's and DON'Ts upon discharge from the hospital.

I would think that you SHOULDN'T return to work until you go see your doctor.

I am pretty sure that ANYTHING that requires concentration and working the brain needs to very limited for a certain period of time or you risk developing what they call Post Concussion Syndrome which will entail a much longer healing of the brain.

You really need to rest and take this seriously.....your brain has been through a major trauma and needs to heal.

Hoping that you are doing well and that your GP gives you more answers although my niece was under the care of a neurologist who is better equipped to tell you what you need to do in order to best recuperate from your concussion.

IF you saw a neurologist in the hospital it may be a good idea to call him and ask him exactly what you need to do to properly recuperate from your concussion.

Good luck and keep us posted with how things go.

~ Ivory

Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
(female)

wendya2J HB User

The neurologist at the hospital was very nice, but didnt give me any info at all....he wouldnt even committ to the diagnosis.....not sure what that was about. Its just so hard when you are in the hospital, on some drugs, lol, and they shoot info your way - I cant remember it all!! I just hope the GP tomorrow will give guidance about work and driving. I just lost my balance and fell to my knees but thankfully caught myself - my DH was right there too!!! UGH!! this is a WEIRD feeling!!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
(female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User

Your body is obviously telling you that you're overdoing things.

All the symptoms you are talking about, the headaches, ringing in ears, nausea etc are all indicative of a concussion.

You really need to be resting in bed and not doing much of anything.....just because something wasn't seen on your MRI or CAT scan doesn't mean you don't have a concussion.

The MRI and CAT scan were done to check for bleeding but the bruising your brain sustained is still quite dangerous and needs to be taken care of.

I really would advise you to call the neurologist.....you probably did forget what he said and in your initial post you did say that they kept on saying that you had a nasty concussion so you shouldn't dismiss that you didn't.

PLEASE get in bed and don't be doing anything until you speak to a doctor......if you are still dizzy, off balance and falling down it probably means you do have a concussion that needs to be taken care of.

You certainly don't want to be back in the hospital again so PLEASE take it easy.

~ Ivory

Reply Reply