It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
tingling head/feeling faint

Hi,
I've posted about this before awhile back. I keep getting these "attacks" where, all of a sudden, I feel very lightheaded(like I'm about to faint), get a tingly or pins and needles feeling on my scalp and face, have a dull headache and feel a little disoriented. These attacks started about 6 months ago. Sometimes, this only lasts for a short time and sometimes it is all day. I have had many tests done, but still have no answers. I have had panic/anxiety attacks in the past, but this is nothing like that and I'm not hyperventilating. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or have any ideas what could cause this feeling. I went for several weeks without having it and then it started up again this week.
I would really appreciate any ideas. Thanks~

Last edited by hilery79; 12-04-2003 at 04:25 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to hilery79:
ranchogirl (10-11-2011)
Old 12-04-2003, 05:50 PM   #2

fuz HB User
Re: tingling head/feeling faint

I have similar "attacks" however without the pins and needles. I feel light headed, a little dizzy and very disoriented, as though I am not in my body if that makes sense, it is the hardest thing to describe. I also feel like I am going to pass out sometimes. My doctor asked if it gets worse when I get up fast, but it doesn't, also it doesn't get worse if I shake my head or turn suddenly. I have been looking lately on the high blood pressure area of this board. There is a condition in which the blood pressure is low and suddenly shoots up becuase the brain and the heart aren't communicating properly, basically the brain is saying that the heart is getting enough blood, but it isn't so there are suddenly influxes of blood pressure. I am still going to the doctor and they can't figure out what it is, but check the area concerning high blood pressure on this web site and see if you can get any help from there.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuz
I have similar "attacks" however without the pins and needles. I feel light headed, a little dizzy and very disoriented, as though I am not in my body if that makes sense, it is the hardest thing to describe. I also feel like I am going to pass out sometimes. My doctor asked if it gets worse when I get up fast, but it doesn't, also it doesn't get worse if I shake my head or turn suddenly. I have been looking lately on the high blood pressure area of this board. There is a condition in which the blood pressure is low and suddenly shoots up becuase the brain and the heart aren't communicating properly, basically the brain is saying that the heart is getting enough blood, but it isn't so there are suddenly influxes of blood pressure. I am still going to the doctor and they can't figure out what it is, but check the area concerning high blood pressure on this web site and see if you can get any help from there.

Good luck!
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I thought my bp might have something to do with it, but I started checking it several times a day and it is normal.
I went to my Dr. again yesterday and he thought it had something to do with tight muscles in my back and neck. That may be causing my headaches, but I don't think it's causing my lightheadedness and feeling like I'm going to pass out. He put me on a muscle relaxant and told me to come back next week if I don't feel any better. Well, I took it last night and it made my dizziness/lightheadedness even worse.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, too. Do you have high bp?

Last edited by hilery79; 12-06-2003 at 11:58 AM.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:32 AM   #4

Gingerly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I thought my bp might have something to do with it, but I started checking it several times a day and it is normal.
I went to my Dr. again yesterday and he thought it had something to do with tight muscles in my back and neck. That may be causing my headaches, but I don't think it's causing my lightheadedness and feeling like I'm going to pass out. He put me on a muscle relaxant and told me to come back next week if I don't feel any better. Well, I took it last night and it made my dizziness/lightheadedness even worse.

Please read about Chihari Malformation. This is a condition where you feel dizzy and faint. They can do a surgery to correct. Search on it and see if you think this might be it.
Regards,
Gingerly

Old 12-22-2003, 07:50 PM   #5

fuz HB User
Cool Re: tingling head/feeling faint

Quote:
Nope, I don't. My bp tends to be high in the doctors office because I am nervous, but I have tested it elswhere and it is oftne fine. I have also had it tested three or four times in the doctors office and each time it goes down becuase I am getting more relaxed and not so nervous. Guess I am anxiety prone.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:11 AM   #6

BevS28 HB User

I read your note on your dizziness. Did the Dr. ever find out what it was? My daughter has the same symptoms as you and the Dr. put her on muscle relaxant as well and it made the dizziness worse. Her back and neck muscles are really tight. I'd like to hear what happened. Thanks

Quote:
Hi,
I've posted about this before awhile back. I keep getting these "attacks" where, all of a sudden, I feel very lightheaded(like I'm about to faint), get a tingly or pins and needles feeling on my scalp and face, have a dull headache and feel a little disoriented. These attacks started about 6 months ago. Sometimes, this only lasts for a short time and sometimes it is all day. I have had many tests done, but still have no answers. I have had panic/anxiety attacks in the past, but this is nothing like that and I'm not hyperventilating. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or have any ideas what could cause this feeling. I went for several weeks without having it and then it started up again this week.
I would really appreciate any ideas. Thanks~

Old 01-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #7

koolrayz HB User

I have the same feelings in my head as well, but i cannot make them go away. There has to be a medical reason this is happening to us. Is your balance off as well? I feel like i will fall over when standing.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by koolrayz; 01-16-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:31 AM   #8

encarrasco HB User

You might want to look into Epilepsy, I was diagnosed in November. What you have is very similar to what I was experiencing. A seizure is not always what you think. I've never had convulsions or anything, but you can check out epilepsy.com if you are interested.
Erica

Old 01-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #9

Hewie HB User

I have the same thing (long time now actually). Doc attributes everything and anything I now have to Fibromyalgia since that diagnosis but my neuro doc is going to do a tilt table test (determines if you have orthostatic hypotension & some kinds of autonomic dysfunction), and EMG (nerve function test). Perhaps you could ask your doctor about getting these tests done?

Just a thought...=)

take care

Old 03-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
(female)

Jan_Jan HB User

Just yesterday i had a horrible feeling of what felt like a knife wedged into the left side of my brain. followed by feelings of faintness and as fuz said "as though I am not in my body" to which i could only shake off. i had increased breathing and heart rate. i woke up this morning with intense shakiness (not sure if its due to anxiety or something else). i went to see my doc but he didnt seem 2 understand me, in particular the feeling out of my body bit. can anyone help me understand wots going on?

Old 03-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
(female)

13jewels HB User

hey there... I'm looking for some answers myself. Pins and needles behind my ear on the right side, then it goes all along the side from front to back. Had acupuncture for the past six weeks and thought I found some relief. No. Now there is tingling in my forehead. And kind of a random dull headache. It is making me nutty! And I can't seen to get any answers. It's starting to make me kinda nervous. If you have any info pls share as will I. Thx.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #12

Filmrobe HB User

hilary, you sound a lot like me in the doc's office. Your symptoms also are like mine. I think it's worth checking out the tightness in your neck by requesting an MRI, which your doctor seems inclined to consider anyway. In my case, neck issues are largely the problem. If the MRI shows herniated disk or something like that in the neck region, physical therapy may be the best response to your problem. Rule this out before going any further.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:35 AM   #13
(male)

jools182 HB User

I have been having these attacks for about 6 or 7 years now. Just had a month off work because felt so bad. Still only managing to get in 3 or 4 days a week. Its really frustrating and its ruining my life. I can't do anything or go anywhere just in case I feel bad.
Started when I used to walk to work. Just sitting at my desk and had the sudden feeling I was falling backwards and I really had to try to bring myself out of it. Then one day felt like I was passing out, really dizzy, disorientated and my body was numb. It is really scary.
It can happen anytime, when walking, sitting watching tv. Been getting chest pain as well but that may be due to the stress of it all. Went to see a cardiologist a few years ago and thay said everything was fine. Recently been to see a neurologist who said it could be basilar artery migraine and put me on some beta blockers for a year. I thought they were helping but then I started to get really bad attacks again.
I feel 'out of it' nearly all the time, like I'm dreaming or not fully awake, and I feel constantly dizzy. If I stand still it feels as if the floor is moving. The worst part though is the feelings of losing consciousness. They are really strong and really scary. Not sure what to do next. I think my GP has given up and last time I went to see him he gave me pills for depression! I'm just depressed that he is not taking me seriously!

Old 12-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #14
(female)

susanna1979 HB User

I have the same symptoms...they started last march...I felt like I was fainting but I didn't faint ,my body was really numb and I had an internal vibration, I was shaking too. I had to go to ER and the doctor told me that it could be MS but I had 2 ct scan to my brain and 1 MRI to the brain and it was all negative...the I felt good for the summer and in september I start to fell stiff specially in the neck and upper back area..and a headache everyday, numb again and cold in the hands, they shake and vibrate too...the doctors don't understand me!! they did all the blood tests and they are all good!!! some doctors told me that it's all stress or anxiety...I don't think so...finally last sunday night i had another MRI..I don't know the results yet but I keept in contact with the neurologist the saw me in the ER,and she is make me do all these tests!!! I don't sleep in the night anymore...i'm getting really sad!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

just in general, whenever I hear about numbness and tingling in head or parts of the body and sometimes problems with the neck, I like to tell people to get an MRI of the Neck and Head and an MRA (a is for angio) of the neck and head as well because I've know of an internal medicine doc who was concerned about caroitd artery discetion when he heard that I had numbness on my mouth and tounge, it came back negitive, arteries were fine, and it was all related to my neck stenosis so far as I know, but you never know what is going on or how complex something might be as in if more than one thing is going on, so its good to get things ruled out, especailly when so many symptoms of things seem to share with others. If things aren't found via that route, might be good to look deeper into things neurologically, cardiac, and internal medicine. Whether this is excessive or not, I don't know, but my feeling is better to know and catch it and than not know and somthing horrible happens.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 01-12-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Closed Thread