It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #1

John E HB User
Brain stem cyst

After almost a year of back cranial migran headaches, extreme neck, should and upper back pain etc., I have been finally diagnosed through an RMI of a large (small walnut sized) Brain stem cyst located approx. between the Pons and Medulla in the center of my brain stem. I have been told that it is inoperable and that pain relief drugs are my only option. My problem is that I finally have a diagnoses but I can't seem to get a proper prognosis. I understand fully this is a rare and serious condiition.....But does anyone out there have any knowledge or info they can share with me?? You do not need to candy coat or be subtle in your answer(s). I really need to know! Many Thanks..John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Brain stem cyst

It depends on what your symptoms are, and if the cyst is growing. Do they know if it is likely to grow?

Have you had any brain stem symptoms like trouble swallowing, double vision or stuff like that? (other than the pain I mean)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #3

John E HB User

Over the past couple of days I've started to get periods of dizzieness...weird feeling when you're just sitting then all of a sudden it feels like the ground drops out from under you! Not sure of the growth since I have had only 2 RMI's so far...The first one taken in Apr. was Neg. The second one taken in Mid Dec. showed the cyst. I see my Doc on the 6th of Jan and hope to extract a bit more info since on the visit I was informed (24 Dec) of the problem the only thing she said was I would not be going back to work and that the cyst because of its size stood out like a big Christmas lightbulb on the MRI slide. I was so speechless when I saw it on the neg. my mind went completely blank and I couldn't think of any questions to ask. It took me a couple of days to get my mental facuties back on track and start doing some web research. Really appreciate your response.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:17 PM   #4
Inactive

Mason HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E
After almost a year of back cranial migran headaches, extreme neck, should and upper back pain etc., I have been finally diagnosed through an RMI of a large (small walnut sized) Brain stem cyst located approx. between the Pons and Medulla in the center of my brain stem. I have been told that it is inoperable and that pain relief drugs are my only option. My problem is that I finally have a diagnoses but I can't seem to get a proper prognosis. I understand fully this is a rare and serious condiition.....But does anyone out there have any knowledge or info they can share with me?? You do not need to candy coat or be subtle in your answer(s). I really need to know! Many Thanks..John

hey, I have scare tissue on my brain stem, like having two or three tumors. all i can do is keep the inflamation down. my prob. severe back spasms, good luck.
mason

Old 02-16-2004, 07:51 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Might be more common - but undiagnosed

This is probably more common than we realize, but most people don't get a diagnosis on it; as there could be a lot of other things going on, and you know, people put off knowing if they can ...

There is a type of headache that is a searing, 'hot poker type headache' in the back of the head & running down the neck (This is the area you are talking about?) It is one symptom of endocrine disruption from chemicals such as 2-butoxyethanol (aka ethylene glycol monobutyl ether) I suspect it to be in the area of the pituitary gland (?)

I've talked a lot about it already, so please check my other posts, and also do an internet search.

Do you have other symptoms such as fatigue, or swollen organs, such as spleen, gall bladder, thyroid, testes, heart chambers? You can't imagine all the harm this one chemical does; and then how many more chemicals are being used at work and in our communities these days, as compared to 50 years ago when many of these ailments were practically unheard of.

There is even concern for male sperm quality and reduced counts in this same time period (This particular chemical targets the testes) There were major news articles about this in 1996: New Yorker, New York Times, USA Today and Mother Jones for starters. From studies done, it appears that at the rate we are going there will be more and more families that will have difficulty in having children, and by the next 50-70 years men will have a zero sperm count.

Closed Thread