It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 06:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Abnormal EEG

Hi,
I recently had an eeg done to rule out seizures. I've had several fainting episodes over the last 6 months. My Neuro didn't think they were seizures, but wanted to make sure. He said there were some abnormalties on the results, but there was no evidence of seizures. I asked him what the abnormalties could mean and he just said it was nothing to worry about. Can anyone tell me what an abnormal eeg reading could mean?

Thanks,
hilery

Old 04-27-2004, 07:05 PM   #2

Hewie HB User
Re: Abnormal EEG

Hi Hilery,

An abnormal EEG can mean something or nothing depending on a lot of other variables like any other symptoms that coincide and also can be caused by a viral illness, drinking and a whole host of other things. My 1st EEG last August was moderately abnormal but neither my primary care doc or the neuro thought too much of it but since the 2nd one in Feb. came out abnormal in a more definitive way, I am now being evaluated for "possible" seizures but they still are not sure so.......

You have a right, by law, to a copy of your EEG report and if you request it, it will have more of why it was considered abnormal and you can research that particularly abnormality on the internet and then folks here might be able to give you some insight too if they knew exactly "why" the radiologist who read the EEG determined it to be abnormal.

I got copies of my EEG's and MRI's and blood tests after my first doc brushed me off and said they were all normal which was a real crock as they were not only abnormal according to the radiologists and every other doc since then, but some significantly so.

Request a copy of your EEG - you have a right to any and all of your medical records..

HOpe this helps

hewie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply...it helped a lot. I will definatly go request a copy of the report. I hate it when Dr.'s brush things off so easily.
Hilery

Old 04-28-2004, 03:02 PM   #4

Hewie HB User

Sounds good... Post the results in detail and maybe someone on here can help ya more....=)

hewie

Old 04-30-2004, 11:54 PM   #5

olan HB User

I have an abnormal eeg reading in two different tests; one normal test, one sleep deprived. My neuro. dismissed it after my Cat scan and MRI came back clean. I was having seizures and wanted some answer. I switched neuro. and that is all the difference in the world. He said with an EEG like mine, spikes all the way through the whole reading that I no doubt have complex-partial seizures. If I were you I would get a second opinion from a neuro who you pcp recommends; usually they have some vested interest in you.

Abnormal reading are common, on the other hand, they may mean nothing at all. Fainting doesn't necessarily mean you are having seizures. One of the hallmarks of complex-partial seizures is that you are extremely exhausted after a seizure and must sleep and it may whip you out for a couple of days; a seizure where you faint would most likely do that to you. If you have an absence (blank) seizure you will not notice it unless you find your hand in suddenly hotwater when it normally takes 30 seconds for the water to get warm or you suddenly smash into the back of a car that pops up out of nowhere. You may do strange things like walk in circles, smack you lips or tug at you clothes or even take them off all together. Other times you may wet yourself or have a sudden bowl movement. It is the others around you that will notice it first unless they last only a second or so then no one will know.

Best wishes.

olan

Old 05-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #6
(male)

stackzone HB User

Eeg is next on my list. I dont know why it took 4 years to get one. From what I read it should have come a long time ago. Good Luck Hilery!

Closed Thread