It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #1

Ann21 HB User
What could cause a long-term numb leg/foot?

I've been ill for almost 6 months now. 5 months ago, a CT scan (which was supposed to see if I had appendix trouble) revealed cysts on my right ovary. I've also had bronchitis then pneumonia. But this is about my leg.

Around that time, I noticed a funny tingly feeling in my right foot, concentrating in my right big toe. It felt more like a tickle, no pain. But eventually, the sensation dulled and became more numb. It seemed like over night that it all spread up to my knee. From my right big toe, through my foot, and all up my leg to my knee.....it feels "numb." But not numb-numb. Gosh, this is hard to explain!!! You know your tongue at the dentist? Like you know someone is touching it and you can feel it but as if your skin has been put to sleep.

A few other things I noticed......
My big toe can not bear any weight, it just won't do it. My other toes work fine. When my leg falls asleep, it loses all feeling but then does not have a pins and needles coming-to feeling when it returns to normal (just skips right past that!). I also have bruises on my foot that come and go, in the same place all the time (look splattered). All of this happens without injury.

I saw a doctor for this who said if it persisted I should see a neurologist. Problem being is that I am uninsured. I do not understand what is going on, and was hoping someone else might have more experience or insight into what could be causing this.

On a final note, this all happened completely out of nowhere. I did not hurt my leg/foot/knee/toes/back or anything. I am not in pain, it is just a strange inconveniencing feeling (have cut my leg shaving countless times because I can not feel the razor blade!).

Any clue what may possibly be causing all this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User
Re: What could cause a long-term numb leg/foot?

Hi! I can't say specifically what the cause is and I know you understand that.

The neurologist will check your gait, strength, any deficits in sensation by using hammers and pins, and based on your family history and your medical history, put it together and come up with some ideas. See test terms like Romberg's test, babinski reflex, and terms like ataxia. I don't understand the brusing.

The fact that your doctor suggested seeing a neurologist and you're having this problem, I would try to go. It may take time to get an appointment and if you can, save for the consultation fee ($350.00) or use a credit card.

Some physicians may reduce their fee since you don't have insurance and/or may allow you to make payments. See if your referring doctor can pre-arrange that for you when he makes the call to get you an appointment. Doctors are caring professionals and if he can convince them that you need to be seen but have no insurance, the neurologist's office will help you out by reducing theirs and getting you in for an examination. It is true. Your health is more important and the neurologist can give you the rundown on what he/she suspects after the examination.

Think about what is your family medical history, yours (all fevers, illnesses, pain in legs and feet, etc., prior accidents even 20 years back). What could be affecting your back to cause these sensations?

Old 05-11-2004, 01:14 AM   #3

Ann21 HB User

Thank you very much for your reply. It all just seems very weird, as I am 21 years old and of normal weight (5'6", 112 lbs) Saving up to see a doc seems like my best bet. I just hope its nothing irreversible, would be a shame to have a numb leg from 21 on and it doesn't seem like its getting anything but worse over time.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Your leg is actually numb? Or does it feel like it is going numb?
Have you tried taking a sewing pin and lightly touching it against both legs comparing sensations---if the numb feeling leg has a deficit? Can you actually feel the sewing pin or not at all?

If your leg is numb, you want the neurologist to exam you right away. That is a serious symptom.

One last question, have you had any vision problems lately?

Feel free to post more and ask any questions. I know this must be worrying you!

Last edited by californiasunflower; 05-11-2004 at 01:58 AM.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:00 AM   #5

Ann21 HB User

Thank you very much again for the response!!

It is very hard to describe the numb feeling, but I will do my best. On my left (normal) leg, a light pin touch produces the obvious small, sharp jolt. On my right leg, from ankle almost to knee, it feels more like something is touching it. Towards my ankle, the sensations are even duller. The pin makes it feel more tingly than anything. Normal on my foot.

If I could describe it the best.....it feels like someone put a topical numbing gel all over my leg......kind of like what they do at the dentist. Then, you bite down on your tongue and know you are biting it, can feel you are biting it, but it doesn't hurt you. That is how it feels.

When my leg is rubbed, as if to massage, I feel nothing. When you touch and rub muscles in your legs, and push with a decent amount of pressure, normally you feel this pressure, if not pain. On my right leg I feel nothing. Spots that used to trigger feeling now feel nothing.

As for vision problems, not that I am aware of. But then again, I don't know what to look for. I have had times where I stand up and the color fades away, more often than usual since this started, but that doesn't seem abnormal. I've also walked into my house a couple days ago and got so lightheaded I slipped on the stairs.

Thanks again!!!

Old 05-12-2004, 06:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Well, what you described does appear to be a deficit and if you haven't had any trauma to your lower back, I have no clue but to refer you to the neuro to discern the cause. FYI: Neurologists are experts at discerning any deficit than are your regular Primary care physician. So it may be a good idea to bite the bullet and just go in and see one if you can. Your health is worth it. May be something very simple to resolve but if not, you want to catch it and start the treatment.

With regards to asking if you've had any vision problems, sometimes numbing of the leg/feet go hand in hand with visual problems that are autoimmune related. Just an FYI. If you are typically color-blind that would not be significant but if you get blurred vision with loss of ability to see color, that is something to pay attention to and seek out an exam with the ophthalmologist (Eye MD).

This is what I can offer based on my experience and thus, perspective, which may be overkill! But numbing and/or deficits should be looked into.

Last edited by californiasunflower; 05-12-2004 at 06:07 AM.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:51 AM   #7
(female)

Leanne R HB User

Hi Ann,
I can't offer you advice but I am having the exact same prob as you .

I totally know what you mean about the numbness and how it feels. I tried to explain that to my neurologist and he didn't get what I meant. I can feel pressure but no tiggly sensation like there is a layer of glove or something over me. I can feel a pin ***** in some places no pin at all in othe places or I can feel that something is touching me but it doesn't feel sharp. Do you have probs feeling temperature? I can't seem to tell if something is hot or warm?

I have had numbness attacks like this for 5 years in all sorts of places and they don't seem to wear off yours might wear off in time and may only stay in that area I don't know.

I get fatigue and visual problems too and probs with being scatty (which I never used to have I put it down to tiredness.

I have seen a neurologist who can't find an anwser for me lumber punches and MRI scans normal I have not had a nerve conduction test though as I have a fear of needles and am a whimp.

If you are pursuing this and find out what it is please let me know then I can ask the doctors to test me for the same thing too.

Thanks

Leanne [ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 05-16-2004 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Do not post your email address. Please carefully review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on Posting Rules at the top left of this page. Thank you.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:00 AM   #8
(female)

Leanne R HB User

Ann, I have just noticed something else you have said about your health it could be significant or not. I have been recently diagnosed with endometriosis as they have found 3 cysts on my left ovary. I wonder if hormones or something can cause numbness or if they are related?

Old 05-12-2004, 11:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

You guys may be on to something there because the pressure on nerves from female anatomy can cause problems with the legs/feet.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:49 AM   #10

Fran62 HB User

Dear Ann:

Two things 1. Have you been tested for diabetes 2. There are hospitals that have free clinics for persons who have limited resources. Perhap you might want to investigate that as an option for yourself. Please take care.

Closed Thread