It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

Carina HB User
Question Gamma Knife Surgery

Hi. My mom has Stage IX Non-small Cell Lung cancer and had discovered in March that the cancer spread and she had a brain tumor the size of quarter on the left side of her brain. In early to mid-April she had Gamma Knife surgery, and tests shown that her tumor has stopped growing and is beginning to shrink, also no knew tumors are growing. About a month ago she had two seizures about 2 hours apart, one of them she lost consciousness and last over 10 minutes and was brought to the hospital. There she was put on Kepra and has been on it for a month. Then starting 2 weeks ago she had more seizures, but only her right leg was twitching. Her dosage of Kepra was increased to the highest amount, which still did not work. She was told a month ago the seizures were from scar tissue in the brain from the Gamma Knife. And this week she was told that it may not be from the scarring because she would of had the seizures months ago. She is being going to be taken off Kepra but is still taking it along with a new anti-seizure medication until there will be enough of the new medication in her blood. I was wondering if any one had the Gamma Knife, or knows someone who had it, that had seizures after it or any other side-effects??? Thank You for your time. I greatly appreciate it.

Carina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 10:14 PM   #2

capp3735 HB User
Re: Gamma Knife Surgery

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your mom and will keep her in my prayers. I had gamma knife surgery 2 weeks ago for a brain tumor so I really can't answer your question but I have heard that can happen and that it is from scar tissue.

Gentle Hugs,
Margie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread