It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

Njank HB User
Symptoms after Brain Surgery

Hello,
Has anyone here ever had brain surgery? I had a tumor removed from my cerebellum in July. I had very bad dizziness and balance issues and vomiting for close to 3 months....Here I am 4 months later and I still have not overcome my dizziness and balance issues. Can anyone relate and give their opinion if this will eventually go away all together. My dr. says the size of the tumor is the reason for all the symptoms and my brain and body need to get used to what is missing..but I fear I will live like this forever. I can not turn my head fast or bend over very well....and driving is difficult as well to look behind me. Please help!!
Nancy

Old 11-18-2004, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

victoria48 HB User
Re: Symptoms after Brain Surgery

My mother had a tumour removed from her brain in January 2004. She had a section of skull removed from behind her eye and the tumour, which was removed from inside her brain was slightly larger than a golf ball.

It took her approximately six months to return to her normal self and during this time she could not drive or return to work. She also felt quite weak and had no appetite.

She is doing really well now though, hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #3

Shannan72 HB User

I had a brain tumor removed in August 2003 and was pretty much back to life as normal within a couple of weeks. I think it must depend on the size and location of the tumor as to what the symptoms must be.

The one thing that really bothered me (but luckily someone else warned me before surgery that this would probably happen) was starting about the third day after surgery, I started noticing a ticking sound every once in a while in my head. The next day, it turned into a sloshing sound and by the third and fourth day, there was a constant sloshing noise (almost like the ocean was rolling around in my head) which only intensified if I bent over or laid down. It was maddening because there was nothing I could do to stop it. Fortunately, the noises just stopped after about the fifth day. I asked my neurosurgeon about it later, and he just told me it was the brain adapting to the fact that some of it had been removed and so blood was flowing around in there to more or less fill up the empty space. Pretty freaky. Other than that, everything else seemed more or less normal.

Old 12-04-2004, 05:49 AM   #4
(female)

Njank HB User

Thanks Shannan,
I also think it depends on the size. This one was fairly large and on my cerebellum which controls all balance . I have one more to go in January. It is supposed to be much smaller...only the size of a marble as opposed to a golf ball. Just when I think there is a light at then end I have to do it again. It is frustrating but I think I will be ok in the end.
Nancy

Old 12-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
(male)

sammys HB User

Like you, I had a large tumor removed from my cerebellum 12 years ago. I was an avid runner and outdoorsman until the day before my surgery. The surgeons told me I would be back on the road running and enjoying my usual activities in 6 weeks at the outside. Wrong. I had the symtoms you described for 5 years before they gradually improved to a state that I could live with and lead a normal life.
I was never able to run again due to the pain in the back of my head each time my heel touched the ground. I can hike and take long walks without any problems at all however.
Weight lifting is out of the question, but I can bend over to pick something up or tie my shoes if I do it quickly. Shoe laces were a chore for a very long time.
The surgeons had no explanation. I lost spinal fluid during the 16 hour operation, but they said I should have no problems from that. They told me some people get over the surgery in a matter of weeks and others take a lot longer. I was just lucky I guess.
Hopefully your symtoms are much better by now and you are on the fast track to recovery.

Last edited by sammys; 12-20-2004 at 07:41 PM.

Closed Thread