It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
(male)

DizzyAJ HB User
Very sore neck, Dizziness, please help/comment.

A couple of months ago I got out of bed one morning and was very dizzy. I figured i had some type of ear infection or something of the sort. I went to an ENT Doctor a couple days later and he found no problems. He cleaned out my ears and sent me on my way. A week later I returned and got a balance test done. Balance test results were fine, nothing wrong. A week later he prescribed me something for congestion, still dizzy. My symptoms: I was unbalanced when making quick movements, ie getting out of bed, going from sitting down to standing quickly, laying on my side then sitting up, and so on...

A month or two later my neck began to get stiff. I sort of ignored the neck pain and now it has gotten worse. When I move my neck from side to side I can hear it pop. When I move my head in controlled, slow circular motions my head feels heavy and slow. Also, when I am standing I get a feeling of unsteadiness/unbalanced, and this also occurs when I am sitting.

Another strange thing is my ears are popping a lot, not really sure but they have been popping for months now, ever since my first day of dizziness. Not only that but I do have headaches at times, they feel like sinus headaches, but they have been present throughout this whole ordeal.

I am wondering what could be wrong with my neck, I think this is the reason all of this is occuring to me, even the popping ears I presume. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: i also believe i am suffering from some anxiety, but that wouldnt cause this type of neck pain / dizziness would it?

Last edited by DizzyAJ; 12-08-2004 at 04:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Re: Very sore neck, Dizziness, please help/comment.

If your neck is out of place, that can certainly make you nauseated/dizzy. Do you have allergies? That can be a cause. Do you have TMJ? The ringing in your ears can be TMJD. Neck out of place can also give you headaches. I would see a Chiropractor and someone who specializes in TMJ. If you go onto the TMJ board here, there is a list of symtoms that you can view. Also, how is your eyesight? That can also be causing your problems. I know it's a pain in the but to go and see all of these doctors, but, if you want to start getting answers (hopefully) ya gotta do it. Also, you may want to check with an Allergist! Good Luck! I know how you feel! I have Allergies, TMJD, neck and back problems and have felt the same way you do, in fact, I am feeling like that as I type this....no fun! Leads to a very unproductive day doesn't it?!

Old 12-13-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran

Kamden HB User

Allergies can be the cause of the congestion, and your neck problem can cause the dizzy spells. I would see a physical therapist for your neck and try allegra for your allergies. Both of these did wonders for me when I had these problems.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:40 PM   #4

Filmrobe HB User

Hi, AJ.

I can certainly relate to the neck issue, as I've been cervically challenged for some time. You should of course check out other possibilities by having the relevant MRI and C-Scan.

If it is the neck it would be immediately helpful to identify the source of your problem;
injury, employment (ergonomic factors), etc. In my case, computer programming was definitely an aggravating circumstance, while there were probably vulnerabilities in that area of my body to begin with. Check out a condition called "cervical dizziness" as a possible diagnosis. I have found that a program of exercises can be ameliorative,
but avoid throwing yourself into it too enthusiastically, as, for example, too much stretching could do additional harm. Follow the basics, eat a healthy low fat diet and
give your body needed rest. Aim for problem-management and simple relief. Over time, depending on your age and circumstances surrounding the kind of work you do, the symptoms may be lowered considerably.

But, most important first step, request the kind of tests that I mentioned above.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:07 PM   #5

Lisa43017 HB User

I had atypical migraines that caused a lot of the same problems. My sinuses were fine, but the migraines were swelling them up and causing fluid to back up into my ears. Migraines can also make your neck stiff. I was 100% sure it was sinus problems, but after tests it turned out it was migraines all along.

Last edited by Lisa43017; 12-14-2004 at 05:07 PM.

Closed Thread