It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2001, 01:48 AM   #1

adarnell HB User
Exclamation Shock feeling throughout most of my body

I am looking for any suggestions that could possibly tell me what some probable causes of a strange feeling throughout my body (mainly everything above the knees). It feels like a low-grade shock. It comes and goes and is increasingly getting stronger. When it is there, it is constant, and it seems that it is there more than not these days. It does not hurt to touch the skin, but does hurt in a strange way inside - like it is in or on the muscles. I just want to flex every single muscle in my body and hold them as tight as I can. It makes it so I can't stand to sit still. I need to be constantly using muscles. Moving back muscles and arm muscles seems to be what I want to do. This all started roughly around early fall of last year.

I am not stressed out and do not feel that it is any type of anxiety.

I have migraines and am on Depakote that I take nightly to help control them. I also take Imitrex when necessary. I say my migraines are caused by the constant chronic pain I have in my neck (the muscles are almost always irritated - not tight, but hot and sore). I go to the chiropractor who has helped me confirm that my muscles are not tight when this is going on.

I had an MRI done on my head about 2 years ago due to the massive migraines I was getting. Nothing was found. I had an MRI done on my neck this past Oct./Nov. that showed nothing also. I don't know if any of this is related to the shock feeling, but my gutt tells me that it is.

My neurologist is stumped about the shock feeling. She put me on Neurontin hoping it would help relieve the shock feeling. I tried taking it as often as she wanted me to, but had to stop a few days after starting the medication. I was way too tired and I have to work, drive places, etc. I was falling asleep everywhere. About 24 hours after going off of it, I had my worst "attack". It is completely out of control. I went back on it at night, but that isn't enough and I am still very tired all the time.

I need a real explanation for what is happening to me and not just a way to cover up the pain. I will settle for anything that helps "numb" it or stop it for the short term, but I need a real solution. I can't be the only person in the world who has experienced this.

I did try to search on the internet for neurological conditions, but I get so hung up on the terminology that I don't get anything out of what I am reading.

Please help me!!! I am so frustrated and I don't know what else to do.

Also, I do have other symptoms such as occasional numbness in my lower left back. I will also wake at night while sleeping on my side and find that the arm in the air (not the one I am sleeping on) in completely numb.

I sometimes have vision problems, very rapid hard heart beat, vertigo to the point I can be standing still and then I fall in a fashion that looks like someone pushed me very hard to my right. My ankles sometimes swell up for no apparent reason. The top of my feet close to the "pinky" toe will sometimes fiercly hurt. I find that I can be walking up or down stairs or a hill of some sort and it feels like the back and insides of my knees completely swell up and I can hardly move them - with no visual signs of anything. I have also been getting very sick all of the sudden with faint feeling and complete coldness feeling.

I do have scoliosis (spelling?) and very "loose" tendons and ligaments throughout my body which my chiropractor blames for part of my problems. I don't know though.

I know I put a lot in here, but since some conditions have various unrelated symptoms, I thought I would just "unload" them all.

Please someone out there... help.

email: [removed]

Last edited by moderator2; 01-10-2004 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Do not post contact information. These boards are for public anonymous use only. Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2001, 10:14 PM   #2
(female)

KaP HB User
I have a similar condition called small nerve sensory neuropathy. My condition started 2 years ago with terrible pain on my neck and down my left arm. Now I have burning pain all over. Can't sleep, can't sit still and sometimes it hurts my left foot likes its swollen. I always feel like some parts of my body are swollen, but they're not. Especially sensitive on my palms, arms and legs. First they thought it was RSD until I went to the OSU Clinic where they found out what it was. Most people are accused of imaging the pain. This has just recently been given a name and tests found to pinpoint it, but like I said, it took two years before they discovered what it was. They took me off of Neurotin and Depakote and I'm now on Prozac, Elavil, Sonata and pain meds. Finally, I found a tiny bit of relief and can sleep at night again.

Old 05-31-2001, 10:49 PM   #3

adarnell HB User
Thanks for your reply. Upon putting out several questions on the internet a while back (this one included), I received several replies. One thing that nearly everyone had was Fibromyalsia. I did research and found that I had about 75% of the symptoms - including a wierd shock feeling.

I also get the swelling feeling. I feel permenantly bloated. My feet will sometimes get really sharp pains in the top near the toes. My ankles will completely swell up at the drop of a dime - particularly the left one.

I went to a rheumotologist (excuse the spelling) at OSU named Dr. Hackshaw. He put me on Zanaflex to help me sleep and it seems to work for that. I actually don't remember tossing and turning all night long and I actually seem to be staying in one position for all or most of the night. That alone helps my neck pain (mine is also chronic and they haven't been able to pinpoint why it hurts - this is also a symptom of Fibromyalsia). I also take Vioxx which I believe is some sort of arthritis medicine but it does seem to help if a stay on it.

I also make sure that I have firm support under my neck when I sleep and I sleep with an ice pack every night also. My neck always feels hot and irritated like there is internal swelling (NOT tight).

I don't know if this helps at all, but just maybe it tells you something. I'll check into what you told me and see if it points me anywhere.

If you'd like, you can email me at:
[removed]

Andrea

Last edited by moderator2; 01-10-2004 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Do not post contact information. These boards are for public anonymous use only. Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Old 01-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #4

spudisle HB User
Re: Sensory Neuropathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaP
I have a similar condition called small nerve sensory neuropathy. My condition started 2 years ago with terrible pain on my neck and down my left arm. Now I have burning pain all over. Can't sleep, can't sit still and sometimes it hurts my left foot likes its swollen. I always feel like some parts of my body are swollen, but they're not. Especially sensitive on my palms, arms and legs. First they thought it was RSD until I went to the OSU Clinic where they found out what it was. Most people are accused of imaging the pain. This has just recently been given a name and tests found to pinpoint it, but like I said, it took two years before they discovered what it was. They took me off of Neurotin and Depakote and I'm now on Prozac, Elavil, Sonata and pain meds. Finally, I found a tiny bit of relief and can sleep at night again.
This is the second time today I have heard the term "sensory neuropathy" as one of the ladies' mothers in my arthritis pool & joint works classes was diagnosed with it about 15 years ago. I was wondering what symptoms fall into that category and how do they confirm a diagnosis. Does it show up with blood tests, EMG's, MRI's or what.

The Canadian

Old 01-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #5

spudisle HB User
Re: Scoliosis and burning pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarnell
I am looking for any suggestions that could possibly tell me what some probable causes of a strange feeling throughout my body (mainly everything above the knees). It feels like a low-grade shock. It comes and goes and is increasingly getting stronger. When it is there, it is constant, and it seems that it is there more than not these days. It does not hurt to touch the skin, but does hurt in a strange way inside - like it is in or on the muscles. I just want to flex every single muscle in my body and hold them as tight as I can. It makes it so I can't stand to sit still. I need to be constantly using muscles. Moving back muscles and arm muscles seems to be what I want to do. This all started roughly around early fall of last year.

I am not stressed out and do not feel that it is any type of anxiety.

I have migraines and am on Depakote that I take nightly to help control them. I also take Imitrex when necessary. I say my migraines are caused by the constant chronic pain I have in my neck (the muscles are almost always irritated - not tight, but hot and sore). I go to the chiropractor who has helped me confirm that my muscles are not tight when this is going on.

I had an MRI done on my head about 2 years ago due to the massive migraines I was getting. Nothing was found. I had an MRI done on my neck this past Oct./Nov. that showed nothing also. I don't know if any of this is related to the shock feeling, but my gutt tells me that it is.

My neurologist is stumped about the shock feeling. She put me on Neurontin hoping it would help relieve the shock feeling. I tried taking it as often as she wanted me to, but had to stop a few days after starting the medication. I was way too tired and I have to work, drive places, etc. I was falling asleep everywhere. About 24 hours after going off of it, I had my worst "attack". It is completely out of control. I went back on it at night, but that isn't enough and I am still very tired all the time.

I need a real explanation for what is happening to me and not just a way to cover up the pain. I will settle for anything that helps "numb" it or stop it for the short term, but I need a real solution. I can't be the only person in the world who has experienced this.

I did try to search on the internet for neurological conditions, but I get so hung up on the terminology that I don't get anything out of what I am reading.

Please help me!!! I am so frustrated and I don't know what else to do.

Also, I do have other symptoms such as occasional numbness in my lower left back. I will also wake at night while sleeping on my side and find that the arm in the air (not the one I am sleeping on) in completely numb.

I sometimes have vision problems, very rapid hard heart beat, vertigo to the point I can be standing still and then I fall in a fashion that looks like someone pushed me very hard to my right. My ankles sometimes swell up for no apparent reason. The top of my feet close to the "pinky" toe will sometimes fiercly hurt. I find that I can be walking up or down stairs or a hill of some sort and it feels like the back and insides of my knees completely swell up and I can hardly move them - with no visual signs of anything. I have also been getting very sick all of the sudden with faint feeling and complete coldness feeling.

I do have scoliosis (spelling?) and very "loose" tendons and ligaments throughout my body which my chiropractor blames for part of my problems. I don't know though.

I know I put a lot in here, but since some conditions have various unrelated symptoms, I thought I would just "unload" them all.

Please someone out there... help.

email: [removed]
Did you ever visit the [removed]? Many of the symptoms you describe also fall into that category. Like MS, there are about six different types of CMT and also Heriditary Pressure Palsies.
Do any other members of your family suffer from any similar problems like yours? CMT usually affects the four extremities and there is weakness at the foot and ankle and with dorsiflection of the foot. There are many articles on Charcot Marie Tooth. I have a younger brother who had scoliosis as a young teenager and he is now suspected of having CMT but they aren't sure as the blood tests were not conclusive. However, he has to wear an AFO splint on his left foot to help with his walking.
It would be something for you to investigate anyway and check with othe members of your family as it is genetic. Good luck and all the best.
The Canadian

Last edited by moderator2; 01-10-2004 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Do not quote posts that violate the board guidelines. Not allowed to post other forums. Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
(male)

Bodysymmetry HB User
Re: Shock feeling throughout most of my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaP View Post

If muscle is contracted in its relaxed position, you will have pain but the contracted muscle will not show up in an MRI because they have nothing to measure it against. Doctors are highly educated but they need to see something wrong in order for it to be wrong so a consequently most do not recognize muscle as a factor.

Your pain is being caused by contracted muscle. It will take time and quality work to fix it but it can be done.

Find a GOOD massage therapist. This will be very difficult to do and will probably require much trial and error. Most massage therapists will not be able to help you. Look for someone who completes at least 25 hours a year in continuing education and verify it. Then try them, if you get no relief, find another therapist. 90% of massage therapists will not be worth your time or money. Honestly, look for the most expensive ones (private, not resort or spa) and go with them. They will most likely have the experience and education to help you. STAY AWAY FROM MASSAGE WAREHOUSES that have memberships. You will be dissapointed in their work.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #7
(female)

mary63 HB Usermary63 HB User
Re: Shock feeling throughout most of my body

I am so glad you are able to get some sleep- it has to be the most important thing! i had a year of awful anxiety and didn't sleep much- any night that involves sleep is a blessing...

Closed Thread