It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2001, 08:59 PM   #1

Robert2 HB User
Post Emploment For Brain Injured

My brain is injured from exposure to the chemicals where I used to work. I have physiological problems like frequent bad headaches and tremors and going to sleep at different times. That and a few other problems make for quite a variety and yet they kind of tie into each other.

If that weren't bad enough, there's the psychological problems like depression and halucinations and difficulty controlling my emotions. Even a noisy environment, like in an open office, drives me to some pretty ugly thoughts. I go through different problems like my brain is having short circuits in different places. The only way I can manage day to day is to stay in an non-stimulating environment and never, ever completely trust my own mind.

I wondering if others on the board have these kind of problems. How do you find and keep a job? Do you tell prospective employer that have these problems? Do you tell him that you may act funny sometimes and freak out a little under stress? What if it's a job using power tools or driving something? Do you tell the boss that you can suddenly fall asleep? How do you explain that sometimes you get lost in the bathroom?

I guess what I'm asking is, what do you have to do to get a job? Do you lie or omit information? If you do that, are you responsible if you run over or saw through somebody? How do you do it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2001, 10:29 PM   #2

omay HB User
Unhappy

I have this problem from a head injury. I'm trying to do everything as normally as possible. My neurologist has me on Neurontin and it's a Godsend for getting your mind back together. I'm working part time at one of the jobs I had before I was injured. The other job which was my money job .. I don't know if I can go back. I've been off for a month now and just don't know if the Dr. is going to let me drive again. I wish at least they'd let me drive my own rig - I could find work that didn't involve driving. Seven years of employment down the tube from one smack in the head. You sound like you understand how one day you're fine and then all of the wierd things start happening and I'm not me anymore. I was so independent- I hate having to ask people for rides- or people think you have a DUII because you can't drive. I tried to take one of my horses into town and a semi went by and I got dragged over an embankment and back up again and the filly fell on the pavement. Luckily we weren't injured but you know how you try all your options to get somewhere. What a wreck. I had another filly run over top of me at the farm today - I felt like an idiot - I didn't understand my bosse's instructions fully and I went in with a horse that had never been handled and tried to work with her as if she was handled. Thank God I had my helmet and vest on. When I got smacked in the head - I took my helmet off for just a second while I tied up a loose horse-a second later I was laying on the ground drooling and bleeding. My heart goes out to you. I know. I feel so stupid now and completely lost. I'd like to go back to work but how do I get there???? Since it's a driving job- what would I do if I got there anyway???????? I know there's vocational rehabilitation programs that the state offers. I'm lucky I live close enough to the farm to walk to work if I have to. You could work at the racetrack as a groom or something. The horses don't care if you can't think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2001, 10:21 PM   #3

ANP HB User
EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE GOING THROUGH, I WOULD LIKE TO LEND SOME SUPPORT. MY SON HAS A BRAIN INJURY, HE'S ONLY 5 MONTHS OLD. HE WAS BORN WITH HEMMORAGES IN HIS BRAIN AND IT CAUSED HYDROCEPHALUS, WE'RE NOT SURE WHAT HE IS GOING TO BE LIKE, BUT SO FAR NOTHING THAT WE HERE IS GOOD. HAVE YOU GUYS TRIED FILING FOR DISABILITY? IT SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T WORK IF YOU DOUBT YOUR THINKING SOMETIMES, YOU DON'T WANT TO HURT YOURSELF OR ANYONE ELSE. THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD PROGRAMS OUT THERE, IT JUST TAKES A LITTLE TIME TO DO THE RESEARCH. TRY CONTACTING THE COUNTY MENTAL RETARDATION BOARD ( I KNOW YOUR NOT RETARDED) BUT THEY CAN LEAD YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, ESPECIALLY IN FINDING A JOB THAT WILL SUIT YOUR NEEDS. THE MRDD IN MY AREA HAS DONE WONDERS FOR MY FAMILY AND OUR SITUATION. GOOD LUCK IN ALL YOU DO!!

Old 06-16-2001, 06:10 AM   #4

serenityplace HB User
Were either of you injured on the job? If so have you applied for worker's comp? In most states, worker's comp will pay for retraining & help you find employment. If you are unable to return to the work force, you may be able to receive disabliliy, supplemental income or even a settlement from your employer.

Good luck

Old 06-17-2001, 05:24 PM   #5

Robert2 HB User
I was a federal employee and was injured because my employer didn't provide reasonable protection. The problem is that the federal OWCP, which is part of the Labor Department is defrauding thousands of injured federal workers, including me, out of their workers compensation. They are actually breaking the law so they can claim a cost savings.

It's just a shame that more people won't complain to their Congressional Representatives about this terrible corruption of the law.

Old 06-21-2001, 07:37 PM   #6

kathryn2 HB User
Cool

I have a younger brother who had brain operation. He drives but can get lost just a few blocks from home. After a while he remambers where he is and gets home. He drives fine though. He gets very confused sometimes when he is talking and just forgets what he is talking about. He is now on Social Security disability, and he does odd jobs, to help support himself.It's not the life we wished for him but he is making it on his own. Try for the disabality and god bless all of you.

Closed Thread