It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2001, 09:33 AM   #1

MattUK25 HB User
Post Dizzy, heavy head, constantly tired

I have been feeling dizzy for the last three weeks or so. It seems particularly bad when I first wake up and my head feels very heavy with a sort of pressure on the inside. I also get a sore neck and upper back and pains in my legs. I am constantly tired and unable to concentrate. Sometimes I wake in the night with a very rapid heartbeat and sweats. I saw the doctor and she has ordered some neurology tests. I haven't had any bad headaches. Can anyone tell me what this might be..

Matt.

Old 05-18-2001, 03:41 AM   #2

Robert2 HB User
It sounds like it might be a thyroid problem. Did your doctor do a thyroid screen. After seeing the neurologist, you may be sent to an endocrinologist. Thyroid problems are pretty easy to treat.

You might also try eating one banana a day to see if that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2001, 11:57 AM   #3

Calicowgirl HB User
Lightbulb

First,I want you to know that I am an expert on all of the symptoms you are experiencing. But, I think you're in the wrong place. Are you currently under stress of any kind? Sometimes we can be under stress and not even know it. Somthing can cause us stress even if we don't think it is. Has anyone mentioned Anxiety to you? Even if you have never had anxiety in the past various things can cause it to develop. Every symptom you described sounds like Anxiety, could even be deprerssion. Heavy head, dizziness, pressure rapid heart beat, tired, can't concentrate. Take my advice and before you freak yourself out, go ahead and ask your doctor about anxiety. I get all of the symptoms you are describing and then some. Try the boards here on Anxiety-actually I think it's mental health here. You'll find that alot of people with anxiety describe exactly what you describe. What happens with anxiety is it totally exhausts you to the point where you feel tired all of the time and the reason a person with anxiety has this feeling of pressure and heaviness in their head is because anxiety is a form of stress although some of us may say,"I am not stressed" stress isn't always on the surface. One more thing to consider, depression is also a leading cause of these symptoms. Look up on this stuff, it will make a world of difference. It sounds like you may have had a panic attack if you woke up with a rapid heartbeat and sweating. I bet that was scary wasn't it? I know exactly how it felt. It happens to me quite often. I hope this helps. If you have any questionson this don't hesitate to ask.

Old 05-21-2001, 03:37 AM   #4

MattUK25 HB User
Thanks for your replies. I actually had a blood test for thyroid last year which came up negative and co-incidentally I already do eat bananas. On the subject of anxiety, yes, I do think it could be that. Unfortunately my doctor fails to recognise anything that isn't physical and probably wouldn't be much help with anxiety issues. I have been thinking about contacting a private counsellor. Have you been able to get your anxiety under contol? What is the best way to go about it?
Thanks again,
Matt.

Old 07-14-2001, 11:00 AM   #5

yackie HB User
Hi,
It sounds to me like your basic problem is neurological in nature and really needs to be addressed more thoroughly. Try a different general practicioner to start; but have in the back of your mind that the end goal is to see a neurologist. If you need to stay with your same practitioner (i.e. due to insurance or other restrictions), tell him that you want a referral to a neurological doctor. If he wants to send you to a psychiatrist instead say something like: "that is a decent suggestion and we can follow up on that at a later date but for right now, it would really put my mind and body at ease if you would provide me with a neurological referral." If he still won't help, keep calling him and his nurse every few days to mention the symptoms are still present, and taking up his time. It is my experience (i'm a pharmacist) that most doctors will give you a referral to get you off their backs (i.e. stop bothering them).

i think you need a neuro evaluation. Keep a journal/log book with daily symptoms and any changes in symptoms as this will help the physicians. You may also want to get a blood pressure machine so when you do wake up with racing heart, you can monitor blood pressure changes.
Hope this helps. I've tried to give you objective info and advice
Jackie

Old 07-29-2001, 07:50 PM   #6

sashalynn HB User
First of all, stiff neck, back pain and pain down the legs indicate a pinched nerve. I felt dizzy waking up in the morning and I started seeing a chiropractor. I havn't been dizzy since seeing one three times a week. Waking up with increased heartrate etc, indicates Anxiety...I have that too. I would sincerely give a chiropractor a try though for your back pain and dizziness. I had all sorts of dizziness testing, ultrasounds, etc, and they turned up negative. Turns out, my back and neck are misaligned and putting pressure on nerves. Anxiety and stress also cause tense muscles and increased heartrate, etc.

Closed Thread