It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003, 11:20 AM   #1

RACVT HB User
Exclamation Slight pain in right side of head

I have been having this slight pain in the right side of my head for about 3 months now. Kind of like a pea in the mattress feeling. For the last few yrs I have had strange things happen, like twitching, memory problems, speach problems, but nothing that lasts long. Even smell or tast things, like once at lunch it teasted like peanutbutter fudge, strange. Anyway, after a few month I would get this sharp pain in the top right side of my head, and the I would just laugh for no reason, again, this went on for a few months, a few times a week or so. But now all the starnge symptoms are gone or much less, but I have this little pain or pressure feeling in the right side of my head, feels like between my ear and right eye, but if I point to the pain I touch right above the ear, maybe a tad to the front. Yes, I did go to the Dr, and I have an MRI coming up. But I was hoping to hear if others ever have these type of feeling in the head. The one tied to laughter, confusion, funny taste, sick to stomach, and yes, this pain, that does not really hurt much, but is there all day, or most of it. Sometimes my right side of my head feels like a big ballon or something. This could be just all in my head, you know, a mental problem not related to something like a tumor. One other thing that would happen, when driving in the car on a sunny day, if the sun light would go through the trees and flash in the side window I would twitch, sometimes pretty bad, and once at a live show, they had a lightening storm in the act, I did not remember almost 20 mins of that part of the show, I thought maybe I fell asleep or something, but I don't think so. Anyway, 4 yrs of strange things like this, but now, just the pain. Sometimes a twitch or a sharp pain to go with it. I guess that is all. If anyone has had feeling like this that lead to something please let me know. I have a BEAR, a VER EEg and an MRI later this month and some kind of Ultrasound also. So if there is something wrong we should find it. I am just looking for others who have these type of feelings or starnges things happen. Many Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2003, 12:16 AM   #2
(male)

BrianKosh HB User
You are correct, it could be all in your head, and I don't mean that as go see a shrink. Have whatever tests are require to discount that it is a tumor, blood clot... causing a stroke, small or big, or anything else organic in nature.. then discount neurological issues... Dental Issues, sinuses...
And then get a second opinion...
Does a frequency of light flashing anywhere in your field of vision cause u epileptic seizures?
It'll be interesting on the outcome, because that sounds like a tumor or such.. pressing against something somewhere, but psychosomatic u r not.

Good luck..

Old 06-13-2003, 04:49 AM   #3

RACVT HB User
Thanks for writing, I had my MRI last week and my other tests are next Monday the a follow up the same day. I assume since the Dr has not called me that my MRI is clear. We will see what the EEG, VER, BEAR tests show if anything. Yes flashing light does bother me, but only slightly, like twitches and such, I have had many strange things happen like that, I notice it most when driving with the sun light flashing through the trees as I drive, or at the movies or in a dark room when flashes on TV, and as I have stated I lost about 15-20mins of a live performance when I do not remember what happened after a lightening storm act used strobes. That my Dr said they would be checking out.

Not sure whats up yet, maybe nothing more than stress, but you are correct, I wanted to know, not wait and be told why have you not been checked and then it may be too late.

I will let you know whats up after next week, and if nothing is found but problems continue I will keep looking for an answer.

Thanks again,

Old 06-17-2003, 07:23 AM   #4

RACVT HB User
Talking

Update, All tests were neg, and here is what my Dr told me, so I am on some med and we will see how it goes.

Good luck to all.

Pain Syndromes: Occipital Neuralgia

Occipital Neuralgia is pain located in the cervical (neck) and posterior (back) regions of the head (these are the occipital areas). This pain may or may not extend or radiate into the sides of the head ultimately, into the facial and frontal regions. Occipital neuralgia is really two separate disorders with similar symptoms: lesser occipital nerve neuralgia and greater occipital neuralgia. This disorder often occurs after a whiplash injury, a blow to the back of the head, or an injury that produces a twisting of the head.
Signs + Symptoms:

-Lesser-pain from base of skull near mastoid process radiating to area of skin over ear and lower temple

-Greater-pain from base of skull near midline toward vertex and across top of hemisphere toward frontal areas

-Pain is usually intermitted and frequently has a sharp quality

-Often tenderness of nerve and/or muscle is found at the nuchal line

Treatment:
Neuralgia can be extremely painful, and there are several approaches. In general a "holistic" approach is required, combining several classes of drugs.

-Oral medications for pain

The Following User Says Thank You to RACVT For This Useful Post:
Lonzo Dixon (04-04-2011)
Closed Thread