It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2003, 06:31 PM   #1

laca HB User
Post Tinnitus after car accident, help me pls

I was involved in a car accident two months ago, I had a tinnitus (ring in the ears) since then. This makes cannot sleep. The tinnitus is a kind of extr-high frequency noise.

I was in the front passenger seat. I was blanked out for a short time, two airbags deployed.

I have seen many doctors, including two ENT doctors,but they did not give me any good answer, and gave me no treatment.

I took CT and chest X-ray, both OK.Hearing test is also OK.

Does anybody have the same experience with me? Could anybody give me any advice?

Thanks

Mike

Old 03-30-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Are you being treated for your injuries from the car accident? If so, what treatments have you had and for what symptoms? We may be able to help you if we have more information. I had ringing in my ears occasionally after a car accident, but I also had many injuries, and the ringing went away as treatment progressed. Thankyou for any more info. you can provide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2003, 10:06 PM   #3

laca HB User
Red face

Hi, Kamden

Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, I have been under physical therapy for over two months, I did not go to the clinic the this week, I feel back ache and neck ache, I will go to see the doctor again next week. He used a massage bed, and electronic stimulator (??) to traet the back and neck ache.

I still have neck ache and back ache, and if I run fast, I will feel headach in the night time.

Could my T caused by concusion or neck ache?or something inside my ear was damaged in the accident.

Thank you again for your kind reply, I am waiting your update advice.

Mike

Old 03-30-2003, 10:09 PM   #4

laca HB User
Sorry, I forgot to tell you my T is a contineous one, it rings day and night, sometimes I cannot feel in the daytime though

Regards

Mike

Old 04-01-2003, 10:55 AM   #5
Veteran

Kamden HB User
The PT that worked best for me was soft tissue work where the therapist kneaded the knots out of my back and neck muscles. He also worked on parts of my head. Traction, stimulators and chiro. didn't work at all for me. I don't know what a massage bed is, but you need to be worked on my the therapist by hand for the therapy to work, especially after 2 months, you should be much better. If you are not having the soft tissue work done on you, I would suggest this. Since you have had many tests done and they can't find the source of the ringing, it may be caused from something that won't show up on x-rays, MRI etc., mine didn't show up either, yet I could not even move after my accident. I had no broken bones, it was all muscle related. This type of soft tissue work is very deep muscle related, and can only be treated properly by a therapist who does this by hand. I would insist on trying this to your doctor. Good luck to you in your recovery.

Old 04-02-2003, 08:49 PM   #6

laca HB User
Hi, Thank you for your reply,I went to see my PT doctor today,he said I do have whiplash and muscle injuries, but that injuries would not cause T, do you agree with him?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2003, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran

Kamden HB User
I would not agree or disagree because I can only guess with what you have told me so far. It only makes sense that your injuries from the accident are the cause to me, since you didn't have this problem before. Is the ringing the ONLY problem you have in the head area? Here is what I would suggest, when nothing could be found with tests, I researched on my own symptoms, and it is surprising what you can find out for yourself. Look up all the causes you can possibly find on ringing in the ears, once you find the cause, it is easier to get the right treatment. Also, look up the injuries you have and see if they cause other problems to arise. I have been to many doctors, and have learned to go more with my own instincts than to take their word for everything. They have been right many times, but wrong at times also, so if your non diagnosis doesn't make you happy, you need to do all you can to help yourself, like I have done many times. It is a good probability that some injury from the accident is causing it. Do your own research and this will help you help yourself. You may find that some other injury you have is the cause and you can then get the proper treatment for the ringing.

[This message has been edited by Kamden (edited 04-03-2003).]

Old 04-03-2003, 11:07 AM   #8
Veteran

Kamden HB User
[url="http://www.tinnitusearringing.com/tinnitus_causes.htm"]http://www.tinnitusearringing.com/tinnitus_causes.htm[/url] Type in google search " causes of tinnitus ", just the first two I read tell about a neck or head injury causing it. Also, can you tell me what the massage bed does and the electronic stimulator? Thankyou

Old 04-05-2003, 06:26 PM   #9

laca HB User
Dear Kamden

Thank you so much for your contineous advice.

Well I still feel back ach if I walk to long, and I have neck ache too, could that be a whiplash problem? can whiplash cause tinnitus?

The massage bed they used is a kind of apparatus that the patient lay on the back and an cylinder roll your back automaticaaly.

The electric stimulator is the they will put several electrodes on your back and neck and elerctic pulses are used to excited your nerves.

That is all they used to me for the last two and half months. I hope this will make sense

Could you tell me was your tinnitus A HIGH FREQUENCY ONE OR A LOW FREQUENCY ONE? I BELIEVE THST IS VERY IMPORTANT. I also woule like to know how long did your tinnitus dissapear?

In searching tinnitus in google, I find a medicine called T-gone, does anybody here tried ever?

Thank you for your kindness, Kamden

Best

Mike

Old 04-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #10
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Mike, Are you seeing a massage therapist or a physical therapist? Also, are you taking any meds. for the pain?
My car accident was so many years ago that I don't remember what frequency the ringing was, and it was only occasionally.
I am also wondering if this massage bed is really doing the job for you if after 2 months you are still in pain in your neck and back just from walking. In answer to your question, yes, whiplash does cause this type of injury and pain. I could not move my neck or head at all, and injured my upper back also, but the only treatment that helped me was hands on physical therapy, where the therapist massaged the knots out of my muscles by hand. These muscles that have been strained in a whiplash are very deep, and I don't see how a massage bed could adequately reach them or really treat them, because it takes an immense amount of pressure in certain areas where these knots are, to get them out. I would guess that if you could get the proper treatment for your injuries, in the neck and back, that the tinnitus may subside also. It sounds to me like you may need more aggressive treatment than a massage bed and stimulator. I know nothing else helped me, and this was after 6 months of other treatments, I went to a physical therapist. I am going to see what else I can find for you about the tinnitus and what exactly is causing it and I will get back to you.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:49 PM   #11
Veteran

Kamden HB User
I read up all I could on tinnitus after whiplash and it can be common with a head injury. You said you blacked out. I am assuming you have had all the tests on your brain such as a ct scan, MRI and whatever else there is. If you have had those and they can find no cause, then I just don't know what it could be. If the tinnitus was caused by your head injury, the information I read says it starts immediately after the accident. If the tinnitus is from some other injury from the accident, it usually starts days or weeks after the accident. Maybe this will help you and the doctors figure it out. Good luck to you.

Old 04-19-2003, 09:54 AM   #12

mark g HB User
It is likely that the tinnitus was caused by the trauma of the car accident, since that's what's its onset. Further, the advice you have been given on the bulletin board - have the therapist give you massage by hand - is sound. Small muscles cramping around the trigimenal nerve areas, such as the upper neck, base of skull (suboccipital), TMJ, SCM, skull sutures and temporalis, etc., can all refer pain, and the inflamation of the cramps around the ear, impede microcirculation and healing. My suspicion, however, that the pain you feel from the tinnitus might be from the TM joint, located right in front of the ear. (See, or have your doctor/therapist consult Travell on trigger points). I get this kind of pain, after falls. (An elderly friend, who tripped on a small railing he didn't see surrounding a tree on a sidewalk, actually perceived his tinnitus as German symphonic music - his wife is a prominent composer - and it didn't abate for several months: this, however, is relatively rare.) The force from the car crash probably caused some of the small intercranial muscles to spasm - some of them are still holding the spasm and are most likely causing some inflamation and the tinnitus. (My chiropractor will do trigger point therapy on cramps within my mouth with a gloved hand - a massage table or hand machine, which are fine devices, are insufficient.) (If you place the knuckle of your finger in the indentation below your nostril and press, you will find one of the principal neural plexus for the trigimenal nerve - that's the reset button..if you still feel a burning sensation by the ear, that's an indication that there's inflammation there.) There are some prescription antinflammatories and headache medicines that may work (although with a lot of the overcounter meds, overuse can cause rebound effect that makes pain worse). (I have an appointment at a headache clinic in the dept. of neurology in one of the better hospitals in NY (with its director) in a few weeks.)

Old 04-20-2003, 01:36 PM   #13

laca HB User
Dear Mark

Yes, I totally agree with you,it seems you are very experienced.

I am now under treatment of a D.C.(chiropractor), he said he is aligning my spine, will this work?

I do have neck muscle ache, especially the muscle near the ear which has tinnitus,

Do you think it is too long for me to have a D.C now (100 days after the accident)?

I really hate the first doctor I went to see, he said he is very experienced in car injury, but he did nothing but put me in his massage table for 3 months!!
he is just making money, dont care my pain!!!but it is really not easy to find a good doctor.

Thank you again, and wait for your early reply

Mike

Old 04-23-2003, 03:40 PM   #14

laca HB User
Question

Dear Kamden

I need your help and reply.

I still have neck pain and tinnitus, even after 3 and half months!

I am now under treatment of a D.C. (Chiripractor),he said this is a whiplash injury. He did manual alignment to my spine and also accupuncture in my ears,

I feel heut when he massage my neck by hands, he said it should not feel hurt, but I think maybe he did too heavy, could you tell me, what did you feel when the doctor did massage work on your neck by hands? were you hurt?

How soon did you feel improvement?

Waiting for your reply

Thanks

Mike

Old 04-24-2003, 02:34 AM   #15

laca HB User
Dear Kamden

I feel your advices are very helpful to me.

I need your further advices: I had my tinnitus the next morning after the accident (less than 24 hrs). You told me the tinitus maybe caused by brain injury or a whiplash injury, what is the difference between the two injuries? did you find this on the internet?

I also want to hear from you, what kind of doctor should I go to see to find out the reason?do you think I need to go to see a neurologist?did you see one before?

Do you mind leaving me your email address so that I can get prompt help from you.

Waiting for your reply

Best

Mike

Closed Thread