It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2002, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

RedeemedHeart HB User
Question Abnormal MRI of the brain

I had an MRI done to rule out MS. It came back abnormal. There is a "bright spot" on my brain in the lower left part. There are doing another MRI with contrast soon.

Are there other things besides MS that can cause an MRI to be abnormal and what are some of them?

The Dr. said that lack of oxygen or inflammation could cause it possibly but what causes those things?
Please help!
Kathy

[This message has been edited by RedeemedHeart (edited 07-06-2002).]

Old 07-06-2002, 07:05 PM   #2

clementine HB User
Go to the University of CA at LA to the neurosurgery docs'. they have the latest technology on brain disorders. I have researched it diligently. That is the way my AVM showed up first. the neuro here where I live told me the left side of my brain, the capillaries, are not getting any blood or oxygen because of the AVM, it has sent all blood/oxygen from arteries back to viens, a "shunt" type thing. Let me know how you do with this please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2002, 10:57 PM   #3
(female)

RedeemedHeart HB User
Smile

Thank you! I am only a couple hours from there. My Dr. said that if the contrast MRI comes back with anything on it that he was going to refer me to a Neurologist. I will request one at UCLA. I don't want to mess around with this. It is scary having something on my brain.
What is AVM?
Blessings,
Kathy

Old 07-11-2002, 08:05 PM   #4

clementine HB User
Kathy: AVM - arteriorvenouse malformation. Abnormal growth of arteries and viens in the brain in my case causing the blood flow to go straight from the arteries into the viens and bypassing the capillaries, therefore, no oxygen getting to portion of brain. Scary...yes please let me know how you do...don't mess around go to best doc's ... my cousin is in health care out there...it is good place for diagnosis and treatment...I will go to Boston because I have a sister there who is a nurse..be VERY PICKY about who does your diagnosis and treatment...always get another opinion...I had to fight my primary care doc...I have an HMO..for a referral for a second opinion...Please let me know...Clementine

Old 09-16-2003, 06:06 AM   #5

RareEndo HB User
Sorry you are having to deal with this. A year ago I had my first MRI without contrast and then another four months later with and then a cervical one as well.

My first one came back with a significant lesion of unknown etiology on the right along the optic tract periventricular to the right ventrical.

Because it was done without contrast it was indefinitive if the lesion was "active" or "gliosis" (scarred, old)

The defferential on my MRI was Demyelination (MS), inflammation, previous infection or injury, or small vascular lesion. (Basically that say's it could be anything)

I see a neurologist (on my third actually) but went to a teaching hospital in Massachusetts to get my problems diagnosed (the brain thing was the latest of a long list of disabilities elsewhere) I'm female and 33 with probelms since my first c-section in 1995.

Anyway, the second MRI found another non-specific lesion on the left upper side (peri-ventricular again) but smaller. Both lesions are scars, my neuro-opthamologist told me he was 99.9 percent sure it was a cerebral artery occlusion.

I had blood coagulation studies done and a TEE (look at my heart) which all came back normal but other tests are far from normal. So I still have a no real diagnosis except for they are suggesting that MS is still in the picture along with CVA. (stroke)

I am still in the diagnostic phase. My new neuro just did some Nerve conduction studies and Evoked potentials that I don't have results of. I go to a Pain Clinic and had a ton of blood work done without the results yet.

I have to call my neuro now actually and schedule a follow up for the test results or get them over the phone.

I know it's hard not knowing what is causing these things. I got alot of "your to young" it was prbably there since birth etc etc. Never taken too seriously because of my age yet after five years of being mistaken by my PCP for a Hypochondriac I got him to appologize when a baseball sized tumor was removed from my abdominal wall muscle with muscle by a general surgeon when my PCP threw his hands up in the air.

My point, persist, if you don't like a particular Dr get a new one, it's your body, your mind, I was told I had two panic attacks when actually the second one was most likely the stroke back in 1999.

Here it is years later, and being labled a "head case" caused enough of it's own problems. Anxious?, You bet, but because I'm scared the next time it won't be so forgiving.

Take Care and keep us updates
RareEndo

Closed Thread