It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2003, 05:49 PM   #16

lizwolf HB User
I have the tingling symptom in the top of my ear lobes and on my scalp (good description with the water bubbles [singing: "Tiny Bubbles"]...) I know that it is a precursor of a panic attack. When I get it, I usually am hit with a massive panic attack within a day, unless I take my medication (Clonopin and/or Xanax).
Of course, knowing that this is a sign makes me more anxious about NOT having a panic attack - which makes the tingling worse - a vicious circle.
I have started bio-feedback, and if I could just learn to relax more, I think that is a good way of handling the tension!

Old 07-21-2003, 02:08 PM   #17

mahleela HB User
Lightbulb

I've been experiencing the same! I thought I was alone! I have checked online and found NOTHING till this board. And, yes, it's the left side!

I just started Wellbutrin for postpartum - and wondered if that had anything to do with it. I have had anxiety attacks in the past - but not for a long time. It's the strangest feeling - almost like something crawling on my scalp about three inches above my left ear, then the feeling spreads downward until my left ear up tingle, then feel almost numb, but not quite... It's only been the last week or so - please tell me it will get better or stay the same.. that's my biggest concern, that it may get worse... (Well, other than what's causing it! - but everything I read says that the scalp is controlled by the cervical nerve - so I feel like it is probably a pinched nerve?)

Anyone have any new developments or word?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2003, 02:29 PM   #18

alenachivon HB User
I have a new physician who scheduled me for the CT, which came back saying that everything was fine. She's kind of a flack and I mentioned to her about some of the same symptoms you all were having. I told her how I had been treated for anxiety but she dismissed that and said that I needed to see a neurologist. But she also prescribed Xanax for me. It's supposed to make you drowsy but it does nothing for me. To help the doctors out I've decided to keep a journal of how often my head tingles, and how often my left hand spasms. And let me tell you, I didn't realize it was happening as often as it is. It seems strange to think that this is all due to panic attacks. Especially when the tingling/numbness happens so randomly. Wow! Here I am spending all this money and everyone here is probably right--it's anxiety. Well, I do hope the Xanax works because it's not so far. Now I have to wait and see the neurologist. Yippy! Thanx everyone!

Old 07-25-2003, 09:18 AM   #19

mahleela HB User
Cool

I was wondering if anyone else with this problem also has a habit of grinding their teeth. I've noticed lately (pretty much just since this has started) that when I'm stressed (sometimes when I dont' even realize I'm stressed) I have been grinding and clenching my teeth - when I notice it, I intentionally try to relax my jaw and facial muscles.. Often when I feel the tingling, I realize I'm grinding my teeth as well... could be two separate issues, linked by stress, but perhaps not CAUSED by stress... *shrug* Still looking for answers....

-M.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:18 PM   #20

IngridZ HB User
Smile

Hi Everyone
I had many of the same symptoms as all of you in 1995. It started with a terrible headache and a weakness in my right arm and leg, and when I woke up in the morning, I had paralysis down my whole right side, my face drooped, as did the corner of my eye. I had slurred speech and my short term memory was so bad I couldn't remember what I was trying to say from the beginning of a sentence to the end of it. Doctors thought I had a stroke, but after an MRI, CATscan, and doppler ultrasound nothing was found. I put it down to stress, and started living healthier, walking great distances and watching what I ate. I was not on anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication at that time.

I had the odd tingling through the years but nothing lasting. Then in November of 2002, I woke up in the middle of the night and my right side of my face was drooping again, and I had some minor tingling in my right arm. I started having problems with drooling out of the right side of my mouth at night. I had some difficulty with blurred vision and some headaches and now chest pain as well. Anyway, Doctors sent me for another MRI. This time they found a bulge in one of the main arteries in my brain where the arteries begin to branch. I am now awating a Angio-CATscan. They have also diagnosed me with sleep apnea. They also discovered that I have a high pressure in my eyes which can result in glaucoma. I am now on anti-anxiety meds. They think I may have a brain aneurism. Its important to note that when I started having my first batch of symptoms in 1995, I was 36 years old. I am now 44. My symptoms are very similar to those of you who have already responded on this bulletin board. I just wanted to share my story with all of you.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:51 AM   #21
(female)

ammom1 HB User
I've had similar sensations, all related to TMJ and a misaligned bite.

Maybe a dental evaluation is in order?

Old 08-07-2003, 10:42 AM   #22

eman22 HB User
HI all,
It's nice to know that im not alone with this problem. The consensus seems to be that Stress is the cause of this annoying tingling sensation on the scalp. I also find it interesting that almost everyone mentioned that its tends to be on the left side of the scalp. Any ideas as to what that means?
Take care and thanks for all the posts.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:01 AM   #23

JCREW HB User
Thumbs down

I have read most of the posts and have noticed how I have most of the same symptoms. I'm 16 and I have TMJ and anxiety/panic disorders. I have experienced the tingling sensations on my scalp, and right now I am feeling the tingling in my right arm/wrist. I also have headaches, is this all just from anxiety and TMJ? or should I look further into it?

Old 08-19-2003, 10:45 AM   #24

Tigre HB User
Hi all,
I have had the tingling scalp and such as well. Ive had mri's, ct scans and an eeg done. Come to find out, I have partial complex seizures and the mri showed a pineal cyst. I also have post truamatic stress disorder because all my symptoms came from a blow to the head I recieved at a dept. store and also needed staples to close the wound. Im not sure if any of you have had any head or neck injuries, but we seem to have the tingling and numbness in common. My fingers and feet also use to tingle or should i explain like i had my feet in a bees nest. The docs put that down to the topamax that i was on for the seizures, needless to say i was switched to keppra and most of the tingling has gone away. Well excpept for the scalp tingles. I have a bulging disc too and maybe it has something to do with pressure on the nerves or something. I am still in the process of docs so who knows what else they will diagnos me with. Before the accident I had none of this, and wasnt that stressed (even though i have 4 small children). Now the stress is major and nobody is sure if the stress and anxiety or the PTSD is the cause of all this since i also have neurology probs. All though i have found out that some people with pineal cysts have symptoms, my neurologists seems to think that its nothing to be concerned with. And also some people can have these cysts and not even now it since childhood. Im at the point of who knows anymore. I do hope that you all find out the cause and if so , to share because id like good news for a change.. take care and know that you're not alone and that also gives me comfort...
God Bless,
Tigre

------------------

Tigre

Tigre

Old 08-29-2003, 09:07 PM   #25

shazza HB User
My baby daughter was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor the size of a tennis ball this time last year. There were no symptoms at the time or so I thought but researching brain tumors I have come across the fact that these can cause a funny tingling sensation on the scalp. When my daughter was drinking her bottle she would always absentmindedly scratch at her head. I would askn for a CT scan to be performed just to rule this out.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:42 AM   #26

eman22 HB User
Man this tingling sensation on my scalp is so annoying! Has anyone taken any kind of medication for this problem, and has it helped? I guess I should go to a neurologist, but like many of you, seems as though finding answers to the problems listed on this website seem few and far between.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:39 AM   #27

popquiz HB User
Hi, I was so surprised to see so many with this same strange symptom. I am also having this tingling, crawling sensation on small part of my left scalp. It comes and goes and sometimes I have some discomfort, like I bumped my head. I am a migraine sufferer and this is the same side my migraines appear on.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:59 AM   #28
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Yes it can be cervical!!!! I had fusion in march, c 5-6-7 and now have numbness, tingling on the right side of my face and ear. I was treated for ear infections etc. My mouth even goes numb, into my eye. I am seeing a neurologist Friday for further evalution. My arms and legs get numb and tingling too, also had L5 disc removed, and have L3-5 bulging with ddd, arthritis too. Yep a mess, and only 47, with no accidents http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif but anyway ck out the neck , sure can cause these symptoms! especially working all day on a computer!!

Old 09-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #29
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Yes it can be cervical!!!! I had fusion in march, c 5-6-7 and now have numbness, tingling on the right side of my face and ear. I was treated for ear infections etc. My mouth even goes numb, into my eye. I am seeing a neurologist Friday for further evalution. My arms and legs get numb and tingling too, also had L5 disc removed, and have L3-5 bulging with ddd, arthritis too. Yep a mess, and only 47, with no accidents http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif but anyway ck out the neck , sure can cause these symptoms! especially working all day on a computer!!

Old 09-10-2003, 02:31 PM   #30

mek918 HB User
I've had this off and on for several months. But mine starts on the right side - around my eye. And my eyeball feels kind of numb - like when it's dilated. But it's not numb to the touch. If it's really bad, the tingling "creepy-crawlies" move back up my forehead and then start surrounding my head. So creepy. The numbness feeling around my eye has almost constantly been there for 2 months, at different stages of discomfort.

My various doctors think it's atypical migraines. Though the pain doc is sending me for biofeedback therapy. We'll see how that goes. I was taking depakote which did seem to help - but I can't take it anymore.

I had an MRI of cervical spine which was fine. The MRI of my brain was ok - he said there is a small spot - right side of my head, that could either be just a space, or some kind of cyst (probably something I was born with). He said we can do another MRI in a year, he wouldn't worry about it at all. But regardless the location of it shouldn't be the cause of these problems.

I am going to have someone else look at the MRI and CT scans just to be safe. They scare me a bit.

I also have major sinus headaches that seem to precede the tingling, most of the time. Anyone else?

Closed Thread